Favorite Obscure U2 Lyric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
"Obscure" lyrics only; meaning, lyrics only included when songs are performed live; lyrics from b-sides or soundtracks.

I'll get the party started with an easy one.

We'll shine like stars in the summer night
We'll shine like stars in the winter night
One heart, one life, one love
With or without you...

--"With or Without You" ("Shine Like Stars" live)

NOTE: That 3rd line...I *think* those are the words but I could be wrong...feel free to correct me. I'm at work and can't whip out the old Rattle and Hum VHS to check. ;)

Well...I always love the Bonologues during BTBS live...but those change from show to show.

And I like the things he added at the end of "Beautiful Day" live... "The Goal is Soul! Soul! The Goal is Soul!"

Okay...that's all I can come up with off the top of my head... but this gives me an excuse to listen to my bootlegs ;)

hippyactress said:

And I like the things he added at the end of "Beautiful Day" live... "The Goal is Soul! Soul! The Goal is Soul!"

Yup. Basically, it's everytime he ad libs and rants. But that part in BD towards the end just kills me everytime. The best ones are from the Boston Elevation vid and the one during the last show in Miami.

I *love* it when Bono adds the little snippet "when I get that feeling I want sexual healing...when I get that feeling..." in Mysterious Ways. Although it's hard to believe, he's actually able to add sexiness to the song. :drool: Yay for Marvin Gaye!

from Stateless,

You can cover the world with your thumb
Still so big, so bright, so beautiful

I have always loved those lines...really meaningful to me

Really?

Giant Lemon said:
I *love* it when Bono adds the little snippet "when I get that feeling I want sexual healing...when I get that feeling..." in Mysterious Ways. Although it's hard to believe, he's actually able to add sexiness to the song. :drool: Yay for Marvin Gaye!

I never knew he threw that into "Mysterious Ways" (then again, it's probably because I've never gotten the chance to see that song performed live). Heh. Interesting. But it certainly adds to the song. :).

As for me, I loved these two parts he threw in during his little "speeches" during "Bullet The Blue Sky" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" from that "Rattle and Hum" movie, so I guess they aren't exactly lyrics, but I still love them.

From "Sunday Bloody Sunday"-"Where is the glory in taking a man from his bed and gunning him down in front of his wife and his children? Where is the glory in that?"

And the part I like from "Bullet The Blue Sky" is in my sig on here, so you can read it there. :).

Angela

She does it slow dancing
Slow dancing
Take me slow slow slow dancing
All night long...

I have always loved this song (with Bono singing though, not the Willie Nelson version) and almost died when they played it in Providence on Larry's birthday. :heart:

MonaVox said:
I dunno exactly what he says, but live intros to "the Fly"

something like:

you walk out into a sportshall
lights go down
its a whole different scene
light and motion
light and motion

its hard to walk away
you could have it all
we could have it all

but love... you shine like a burning star
falling from the sky
tonite.....

*insert bono's drifting in the motion of a star falling from the sky*

and love, you shine like a burning star
falling from the sky
tonite....

"Do you hear me coming Lord...."

I think Bono over there year puts some variation to these simple lines and all the times they work.It takes One from earth and safely places it just beneath the heaven with stars.

Streets live - Port Depot - 26.12.89 - bootleg called Christmas at Port Depot

His voice to me was like a stream
scarce heard word from word
could I divide -
the whole body of the man did seem
like one I had met in a dream.
Some begged and dreamt of other roads
some begged and dreamt of other lives
of another home
of another home -
where the streets have no name.

take me
take me!!!

Some of this comes from a poem by Wordsworth but I think it was to do with the playwright Samual Becket, who had died the day before - very powerful - stunning really

Pamela

I loved the verse Bono added in the "All I want is you" version during the Omagh Tribute.

You say you want
A sense of peace
Just want to see her face
and this hatred will get us no place

It just seemed to connect with the moment.

souLnation2002 said:

*insert bono's drifting in the motion of a star falling from the sky*

Mmmmmh....Bono's drifting in the motion of a fallingstar..... :cute: :lmao:

Is it too late tonight
To drag the dirt out into the light.....

And that part in Discotheque: This ain't no party, this ain't no thingy, this ain't no fooling around (I'm so tired right now - I'll look it up later what he's exactly saying :yawn: )

Swan269 said:
I loved the verse Bono added in the "All I want is you" version during the Omagh Tribute.

Another great AIWIY addition is in Sarajevo, when he can't sing. I believe the text is:

You say you'll give me
A voice when I don't have one
Your Spirit when I'm on the run
O God, fill me up some.

ishkash said:
"Do you hear me coming Lord...."

I think Bono over there year puts some variation to these simple lines and all the times they work.It takes One from earth and safely places it just beneath the heaven with stars.

I completely agree.

Do you hear me coming Lord?
Do you hear me call?
Do you hear me knockin', knockin' at your door?
Hear me coming Lord
Hear me call
See me scratchin'
Will you make me crawl?

I also get chills whenever he alters the lyrics to Have you come here to play Jesus? Cause I did.

:heart:

Re: Really?

Moonlit_Angel said:

I never knew he threw that into "Mysterious Ways" (then again, it's probably because I've never gotten the chance to see that song performed live). Heh. Interesting. But it certainly adds to the song. :).

Oh yes. During one of the first Miami shows, Bono was even moaning during the start of MW. :eeklaugh:

I also :heart: the part towards the end where he sings, "Move now spirit teach me....move now spirit hold me..." or something like that.

in a little while, this hurt will hurt no more
in a little while, i'll be there, love
in a little while, darlin you'll be mine
i'll be home

when the nite takes a deep breath
and the daylite has no end
if you crawl if i come crawlin home
please be there....

In a Little While, Charloote, 29-03-2001

Discotech remix:

I can't
get it
I cant
not enough
not enough
not enough
I can't
not
I can't get it
no naw naw
LUUUUUUUUUUUUUV....

:heart: that part

Ohh, I love this thread! :) I love all that's listed - here are a few more that I can think of:

Why must I hide from myself
when I need a crowd?
Bring on the crowd
I love a crowd
(Electric Co.)

Anything added to Bad, such as:

Ruby Tuesday/Symphony of the Devil
Walk on the Wild Side
Candle in the Wind
The First Time
and also "Come on Down..."

I also like when he replaces the "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" with silly throw away lines.

And when he and the Edge sing "Love" in Streets!

Last edited:
PopTart said:
Streets live - Port Depot - 26.12.89 - bootleg called Christmas at Port Depot

His voice to me was like a stream
scarce heard word from word
could I divide -
the whole body of the man did seem
like one I had met in a dream.
Some begged and dreamt of other roads
some begged and dreamt of other lives
of another home
of another home -
where the streets have no name.

take me
take me!!!

Some of this comes from a poem by Wordsworth but I think it was to do with the playwright Samual Becket, who had died the day before - very powerful - stunning really

Pamela

That's the Point Depot and the bootleg is called "X-mas At The Point"

Favourite live additions for me would probably be the "Stars" verse from WOWY, the "Do you hear me coming Lord?" verse from One, the "Goul is soul" verse from Beautiful Day, the "Hallelulia" verse from Zoo TV's Running to Stand Still and the Hallelluia outro to "Walk On" (as well as all the 'goodbyes' and 'thank yous' from that song that he makes sound so musical!)

Back
Top Bottom