Favorite Lyrics Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First off....YAY for English majors! lol...I am proud to wear my English major button...

Secondly, how have I missed this thread?

As most people have already said, I have so many favorite lyrics... they change according to the life situation at the moment.

But I would have to say...Mona spoke what I wanted to say about those lines from BD... :yes:

And here are some others...

I love "Sunday Bloody Sunday" in it's entirety... it's such a powerful song and has the ability to make me cry everytime I hear it. But the most powerful lyrics to me, in that song, are these:

But I won't heed the battle call
It puts my back up...my back up against the wall

I'm a pacifist and I think these words speak volumes about my life philosophy...how I've chosen to live. Everytime I hear these words I tear up. They have so much power for me. I always feel like I'm being pressured to choose between being patriotic (which means supporting unjust wars) and being who I am (which means that I am against war completely). Sometimes I just want to scream these words at people...or make a button declaring that I refuse to choose sides. I refuse to take up arms. I refuse to fight because nothing good has ever come from fighting. *sigh* I can't express how much these words mean to me.

And "Mysterious Ways" is probably my all time favorite song. For the reasons Mona said...it CAN be spiritual...but it can also NOT be spiritual. It's one of those masterful songs where everything comes together...

I'll be back with more! Oh yes ;)

I agree...

hippyactress said:
First off....YAY for English majors! lol...I am proud to wear my English major button...

Secondly, how have I missed this thread?

As most people have already said, I have so many favorite lyrics... they change according to the life situation at the moment.

But I would have to say...Mona spoke what I wanted to say about those lines from BD... :yes:

And here are some others...

I love "Sunday Bloody Sunday" in it's entirety... it's such a powerful song and has the ability to make me cry everytime I hear it. But the most powerful lyrics to me, in that song, are these:

I'm a pacifist and I think these words speak volumes about my life philosophy...how I've chosen to live. Everytime I hear these words I tear up. They have so much power for me. I always feel like I'm being pressured to choose between being patriotic (which means supporting unjust wars) and being who I am (which means that I am against war completely). Sometimes I just want to scream these words at people...or make a button declaring that I refuse to choose sides. I refuse to take up arms. I refuse to fight because nothing good has ever come from fighting. *sigh* I can't express how much these words mean to me.

And "Mysterious Ways" is probably my all time favorite song. For the reasons Mona said...it CAN be spiritual...but it can also NOT be spiritual. It's one of those masterful songs where everything comes together...

I'll be back with more! Oh yes ;)

about "Sunday Bloody Sunday"-that whole song expresses exactly how I feel about war and violence and all that-that's one of two songs that have expressed absolutely perfectly how I feel about war and violence and all the other stuff out there that causes problems (the other song being "Imagine").

My personal favorite lyrics from that song are these two:

I can't believe the news today
Oh, I can't close my eyes and make it go away

I think those two lyrics are great, because those can work with any situation in which you turn on the news and hear of something horrible, be it another war going on or be it a school shooting or a kidnapping or a rape or whatever else-those two lines have a universal emotion to them, and can relate to any horrible news out there, no matter what it is. The horrible news doesn't even have to have been on the T.V.-those lyrics can express how someone feels when they get the news in a hospital waiting room that someone they love has just passed away. I just think that if two lines like those can do that, and express that kind of emotion in any situation and have it apply to any situation, then that's some great songwriting right there.

And I am totally with you on the whole anti-war thing. You said that you are torn sometimes between being patriotic, which would mean supporting unjust wars, and being who you are, an anti-war person.

I've always been against war-I've never felt that whole thing with being torn, because to me, if being patriotic means having to support unjust wars, then that's not right, that's not what patriotism means to me. I'm glad you seem like you're siding more with the side of you that is against any form of war and fighting and violence and all that. If that's who you are, then go with that.

As for "Mysterious Ways"-definitely a great song, definitely one of my absolute favorite U2 songs. It's just one of those songs that moves you in some way, be it spiritually, or even sexually, if some people interpret the song that way, or whatever else.

And I, too, will be back to share more about my favorite U2 lyrics and why they mean so much to me as well. I will be interested to hear everyone else's discussions of lyrics in this thread-it's a fun thread, let's keep it going as long as possible.

Angela

hippyactress said:

In this case I recommend you not going to FYM...people are dropping bombs there...almost literally. I was told that Bono and the boys actually lended their support to some "good" wars...I?m still to believe it...And I can see those fighter planes, I can see those fighter planes...

Peace...another dimension of U2 songs that I adore are exactly the songs for peace and against war. Peace on Earth has some of the more simple yet more meaningful verses pro peace I have found in U2 songs, at least for me, being a loving and caring mother, like any mother in this world...

No whos or whys
No one cries like a mother cries
For peace on Earth

She never got to say goodbye
To see the color in his eyes
Now he's in the dirt
Peace on Earth

It gets me in tears, and I mean it.

So paxetaurora, I apologize for my previous comment...but as you English speakers are used to say, I needed to get/take (which one is correct?) that out of my system.

Lets keep U2 lyrics and poetry coming.

:up:

Last edited:
follower said:
So paxetaurora, I apologize for my previous comment...but as you English speakers are used to say, I needed to get/take (which one is correct?) that out of my system.

Nothing to apologize for. :)

Moonlit_Angel and follower...thanks so much for the support! I can't tell you how much it means... I just wanted to say that the main reason I'm so torn about being "patriotic" and all is that my brother just joined the Army. I am still wrestling with this and will probably be as long as he is in the Army. I usually get into a lot of trouble when I start talking about my feelings and beliefs around my family members...particularly my dad. But I will always remain a pacifist, believeing that war does not solve anything and advocating peace and peaceul problem solving in all situations.

Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel:
I've always been against war-I've never felt that whole thing with being torn, because to me, if being patriotic means having to support unjust wars, then that's not right, that's not what patriotism means to me. I'm glad you seem like you're siding more with the side of you that is against any form of war and fighting and violence and all that. If that's who you are, then go with that.

Thank you for the encouraging words. Sometimes it gets really hard to stand up for what you believe in.

Originally posted by follower:
Peace...another dimension of U2 songs that I adore are exactly the songs for peace and against war. Peace on Earth has some of the more simple yet more meaningful verses pro peace I have found in U2 songs, at least for me, being a loving and caring mother, like any mother in this world...

YES! This is exactly what I was looking for. As I was posting before...I thought "There is an aspect that I'm completely leaving about about why I love U2 so much!" And this was it. The first time I heard SBS was one of the most powerful things I've ever experienced. And along the same lines... 40 is one of my favorite songs and I end up listening to it at least once a day, usually.

How long to sing this song?

Thanks for the encouragement :)

My favourite lyrics are from The Fly:

It's no secret that a conscience can sometimes be a pest
It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief
Oh love...

I'm not really sure why those are my favourite lyrics. I've just always loved them. The Fly has to be one of my favourite U2 songs of all time.

Oh, I know...

follower said:

In this case I recommend you not going to FYM...people are dropping bombs there...almost literally. I was told that Bono and the boys actually lended their support to some "good" wars...I?m still to believe it...And I can see those fighter planes, I can see those fighter planes...

No whos or whys
No one cries like a mother cries
For peace on Earth

She never got to say goodbye
To see the color in his eyes
Now he's in the dirt
Peace on Earth

It gets me in tears, and I mean it.

I was listening to that song one night, and it just hit me what the song was about and everything-and tears came to my eyes.

I don't believe the guys of U2 are supporters of anything war oriented, despite what those people in FYM say, I still don't believe it. Perhaps those people misinterpreted what those guys say and thought they did support that stuff, but I'm sorry, I doubt someone who writes a song like "Sunday Bloody Sunday" would support war or violence in any way.

Hippyactress, you're welcome. I've never had anyone in my family be in the army, so I don't know how that is, I know it must be tough, though. And I understand for that reason that's why you have that patriotic side.

RavenStar, I love the song "The Fly". I can't pick my favorite lyrics from that song, because I love all the lyrics. I think every line in that song is neat.

Angela

Salome said:
A Sort of Homecoming

You may say I?m a liar, LOL...but I clicked in my usercp button, then I saw that Salome was the last one to post in this thread...and I thought "he must have chosen A Sort of Homecoming" :D

Serious...but after these 2 years taking part here on a daily basis what to expect? ;) The boy has good taste :)

Back
Top Bottom