FAVORITE LYRICAL LINE!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turnip22

Babyface
Please submit your favorite lyrical line from any of the hundreds of U2 classics.

Mine:
"A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle..."

You're free to fly the crimson sky,
the sun won't melt our wings tonight...

Once again Turnip22, you start a great topic
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Rock 'n Roll Doggie!

There are so many beautiful lyrics by Bono, but I'll start with some from All I Want IS YOU:
"You say you'll give me eyes in the moon of blindness, a river in a time of dryness, a harbour in the tempest."
Sheer poetry. How did he come up with "a harbour in the tempest"? Amazing.

------------------
The Tempest

"and if the mountains should crumble or disappear into the sea, not a tear. no, not i." -- this is soooo inspiring to me

"some days are sulky, some days have a grin, and some days have bouncers who won't let you in.
...looking for jesus and his mother, some days are better than others" -- why didn't i think of these lines????"

"we turn away to face the cold and droning chill as the day begs the night for mercy love." -- this is exactly how i felt at my uncle's funeral

i swear, i think bono is a prophet. all the emotions i have trouble expressing can be found so clearly conveyed in U2 songs.

There are so many!!

But one single line pops up immediately, no pun intended.

(And pardon me for screaming, but you can't just say the line...)

"LOOKING FOR TO FILL THAT GOD-SHAPED HOLE"

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

"Do you hear me coming Love..do you hear me call..do you hear me knocking, knocking at your door? Do You hear us coming Lord..do you hear us call..can you see us scratching, will you make us crawl?"- addend of live One..
Also...
"Holy dunc spacejunk coming in for the splash...white dopes on punk staring into the flash..looking for baby jesus under the trash"....heck, the whole of Mofo lyricallly is up there in my fave u2 moments to be honest...the essence of throwaway transcendence...

There?re too many lyrical lines, but my favourite is without doubt:

In my dream I was drowning my sorrows
But my sorrows, they learned to swim
Surrounding me, going down on me
Spilling over the brim
Waves of regret and waves of joy
I reached out for the one I tried to destroy
You...you said you'd wait
'til the end of the world

It?s beautiful!!!!!

------------------
until the end of the world...

'And if you look, you look through me
And when you talk, you talk at me
And when I touch you, you don't feel a thing'

Let's just say because I've seen it happen

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

"I have a lover
a lover like no other,
she's got soul, soul, soul sweet soul,
she teaches me how to sing"

------------------
Well I don't mean ta bug ya.....

I had to very quickly scan through in my mind all the albums, and all the songs; then round out the list of songs that make me cry every time. It seems simple, from here:

"one," the entire song, because anyone who fancies themself a poet or songwriter wishes they had written it first, and because it's a u2 song, we feel like we did.

"october/ and the trees are stripped bare/of all they wear/do i care?/October/when kingdoms rise and kingdoms fall/but You go on/and on..."
That song speaks for itself, as does "Tomorrow," from the same album. Him screaming, "I'm gonna be there, mother..."
ouch.
"Fuck the revolution!" I could almost understand, the way they felt on stage.
"You can swallow/or you can spit/you can through it up/or choke on it/and you can dream/so dream out loud/and you can find/your own way out/and you can build/and you can will/and you can call/I can't wait until/and you can stash and you can seize/in dreams begin responsibilities/and I can love/and I can love..."
"he used to stay awake to drive the dreams he had away."
"Take my hand/you know I'll be there if you can/I'll cross the sky for your love.../"
"...and you pick me up, bits and pieces on this road." How many times had Bono done that for you?!
"he said he was an artist/but he really painted billboards/with large capital letters/large capital letters/he was telling jokes/that no-one else would listen to"
That's enough for now, I s'poze.

The line from "So Cruel":

The men who love U, U hate the most
They pass right through U like a ghost
They look 4 U but your spirit's in the air
Baby, you're nowhere

I came up with a few more great lines...

1)The entire "Hawkmoon 269". I would have NEVER thought to compare a nicotine addiction or the need for oxygen with the need of a person's love.
2)"True colors fly in blue and black, Bruised silken skies and burning flag, Colors crash, collide with blood shot eyes."--'Bad'
3)"I believe in the kingdom come, when all the colours will bleed into one"
4)"See the sun rise over her skin, don't change it...see the run rise over her skin, Dawn changes everything"
5)"Don't believe in forced entry, don't believe in rape. But everytime she passes by, wild thoughts escape"
6)"You're honey child to a swarm of bees. Gonna blow right through you like a breeze."

And finally...
"I went out walking under an atomic sky. Where the ground won't turn and the rain it burns, like the years when I said goodbye"

Hey folks ! For my favorite lyrical lines, it would be from Achtung Baby's "Acrobat" here. Take a look :

No, nothing makes sense
Nothing seems to fit
I know you'd hit out
If you only knew who to hit
And I'd join the movement
If there was one I could believe in
Yeah I'd break bread and wine
If there was a church I could receive in
'cause I need it now

To take a cup
To fill it up
To drink it slow
I can't let you go
I must be an acrobat
To talk like this
And act like that
And you can dream
So dream out loud
And don't let the bastards grind you down

Cheers !

To let it go,

And so to fadeawaaay.

I'm wide awake
I'm wide awaaake

Wide awake,

I'm not sleeping.

[This message has been edited by EdgeZTV (edited 07-03-2000).]

Mmmm... I hear the songs when I walk through the forest and down the beach... I feel the rhythm when I'm jammin' in the club or driving down the highway... I feel the pulse while... mmmm, all the while...

Right now, its all of the song Never Let Me Go. Six years ago it was Some Days Are Better Than Others... Eleven years ago, Hawkmoon 269...

Yesterday it was Tomorrow. Three years ago it was One Tree Hill... Tomorrow its Lemon...

"And the world turns, and we get dizzy... we're just spinning away..."

It's VERY VERY VERY hard...

- If I could you know I would If I could I would let it go this desperation dislocation separation condemnation revelation in temptation isolation desolation

- I want to feel sunlight on my face see that dust cloud disappear without a trace I want to take shelter from the poison rain where the streets have no name

- Took a drive in the dirty rain to a place where the wind calls your name under the trees the river laughing at you and me halleluja heavens' white rose the doors you open I just can't close

- In dreams begin responsabilities and I can love and I can love I know that the tide is turning 'round ...don't let the bastards grind you down

- What's that you said to me does love... lights up your Christmas tree?

Some of my favourites:

"...lookin' for the father of my 2 little girl... still lookin'f for the face I had befor the world was made..."

" take theese hands they're good for nothing..."

"every artist is a cannibal every poet is a thief, all kill they inspiration and sing about the grief...oh love..."

And I love just theese words: AH SHALA and BOOM CHA...

wow... for the moment....

"goodbye.. no emotional goodnight. I'll be up with the sun. Not coming down".

"I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky and the moon has turned red over one tree hill."

yup

wow, those are all very good choices. i'm not sure who wrote the bono/michael hutchence collaboration was, but the part bono sings is just amazing lyrically.

"Wanted to let it go. Just couldn't let it go. I would catch you. I would catch you as you fall. I would catch you, catch you if i heard your call."

"But you tore through space, like a dark star falls from grace. And you burn across the sky, and i will find you ways to fly, and i will catch you."

if it was written by hutchence then WOW to him!
smile.gif

------------------
"i took the money, i spiked your drink. you miss too much these days if you stop to think." -Bono (of course)

Couple of good ones:

"Angry words won't stop a fight, two wrongs won't make a right, a new heart is what I need, Oh God, make it bleed... Is there nothing left"

"Love is clockworks, and cold steel, fingers too numb too feel..."

"Instant Karma's gonna get him if I don't get him first..."

THE BEST...

"Then, we will shine like stars in the summer night, we will shine like stars in the winter night, one heart, one hope, one love, with or without you..."

My all time personal favourite
"I love you 'cause I need to,
not because I need you.
I love you 'cause I understand,
that God has given me your hand."

Salome,

shake it, shake it, shake it.

I'e just remember a funny line:

"I don't believe in riches but U should see where I live..."

perfect :3

Heartland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See the sun rise over her skin
Don't change it
Dawn changes everything
Everything
And the delta sun
Burns bright and violet

Mississippi and the cotton wool heat
Sixty-six a highway speaks
Of deserts dry
Of cool green valleys
Gold and silver veins
Of the shining cities

In this heartland
In this heartland soil
In this heartland
Heaven knows this is a heartland
Heartland...heartland

She feels like water in my hand
Freeway like a river cuts through this land
Into the side of love
Like a burning spear
And the poison rain
Brings a flood of fear
Through the ghost-ranch hills
Death valley waters
In the towers of steel
Belief goes on and on

In this heartland
In this heartland soil
In this heartland
Heaven knows this is a heartland
Heartland...heaven knows this is a heartland
Heartland...heartland
Heartland...heaven's day here in the heartland
Heart...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
even though it's a tough call, heartland and one tree hill are probably the best two peices of work that bono has ever written. IMO, in order for lyrics to be considered great, they have to be able to stand alone, without a song behind them. take the music away from these two songs and you've still got poetry that is simply awesome.

the most amazing thing to me is that the band gives bono the music and asks him to find lyrics that will fit it. to me, this is extemely hard to do. he's got to read the mood of the music and make up a poem or story to go along with it. even more amazing is the fact that he's been able to write from the heart at times, and laugh at himself and the world at others. the man is more talented than i could ever imagine being. keep up the good work bono!
smile.gif

------------------
"i took the money, i spiked your drink. you miss too much these days if you stop to think." -Bono (of course)

Whoops !
Sorry for creating another yet the same topic ! I'm kind of new here, you know.

So once again my line:

You bury your treasure
Where it can't be found
But your love is like a secret
That's been passed around
There is a silence that comes to a house where no one can sleep
I guess it's the price of love
I know it's not cheap

and:

Those days days days run away like horses over the hill....

Back
Top Bottom