Favorite line in ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tackleberry

War Child
What is the best single lyrical line in the new album. What line just grabs you every time you hear it.

For me its: "In summer I can taste the salt of the sea, theres a kite blowing out of control on a breeze"

One of Bono's best I think.

Anyone Else?

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

"Home...hard to know what is if you've never had one"

It might not be the best, but it was the first one that came to mind.

------------------
Katherine@U2mail.org
http://Bonochick.tripod.com

Originally posted by tackleberry:
What is the best single lyrical line in the new album. What line just grabs you every time you hear it.

For me its: "In summer I can taste the salt of the sea, theres a kite blowing out of control on a breeze"

One of Bono's best I think.

Anyone Else?

"She didn't get to say goodbye, to see the colour in his eyes, now he's in the dirt"

PEACE ON EARTH.

------------------
Fatwah? What Fatwah?!

"the heart is a bloom
shoots up through the stony ground"

and about all of "Grace"

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

"What you got they can't deny it,
can't sell it
can't buy it"

and in Beautiful Day
"After the floods all the colors came out"

------------------
...a place that has to be
believed
to be seen...

It's just a moment, this time will pass

Stuck in a Moment

Because if you're feeling low you can just keep thinking that line and know everything will be okay!

And ok so not off the new album, but a B-side Big Girls Are Best

'Those little girls are a pest, big girls are the best'

Being a 'little girl' this just makes me chuckle!!!

Probably the first song about pregnancy in history as well!! (I interpret it as being a song for a pregnant Ali)

I'd have to say - "you love this town, even if that doesn't ring true. you've been all over, and it's been all over you ..." That describes my town, and my whole attitude. BONO TOOK IT FROM MY HEAD
smile.gif

~zoo~

------------------
" They had the Vision, but we had the Television " - The Edge

For me is:
"I wasn't jumping - for me it was a fall"

-- Stuck in a moment

That songs just speaks volumes to me! I can definitely relate to that line!

------------------
~*Dream Out loud*~

"Did I waste it? Not so much I couldn't taste it." -- Kite

These lines stab me in the heart, just the sense of looking back and wondering if you have been AWARE enough in your life, appreciated it enough, made it special. I have looked back so many times at the end of an era (a vacation/college/a relationship) and seen the myriad moments I could have savored more, tasted more. Once again, Bono sees beneath my skin and ribs right into my heart!

smile.gif

"after the flood all the COLORS came out..."

"I will not forsake the COLORS that you bring, the nights you filled with flowers and they left you with nothing"

Oh my God, what's this thing with "COLORS" I have???!!!!! ;o)

------------------
Cry without weeping, talk without speaking

stuck in a moment;

i listen through your ears, and through your eyes i can see.

also (this is off topic) i was wondering what on earth bono says in the middle of elevation, it sounds like spit it out and stick it in a pot, but i'm pretty sure it ain't.

------------------
poptart33

I'd have to say/agree with...

"You've been all over,
And it's been all over you."

Ain't it the truth?

Let me say...

"I can't wait any longer, I can't wait till I'm stronger, I can't wait any longer to see what you see when I look at the world"

and , in Grace:

"She travels outside of Karma"

Bye!

-Scialone

I love "Did I waste it? Not so much I couldn't taste it" too and this part of "In a Little While":

That girl, that girl
She's mine
And I've know her since
Since you were a little girl
With Spanish eyes
Oh, when I saw her
In a pram they pushed her by

At the moment it's a tie between
"The corner of your lips,
Is the orbit of your hips"
EL! E! VA! TION!
biggrin.gif

And...
"In the stillness of the evening,
When the sun has had it's day"...
Nooo Yaaaawk...
wink.gif

PS - Does TGBHF count? I LOVE Mr. Rushdie's writing... lyrics or prose, he rocks!
I think the thing with the New York line isn't so much the lyrics, as that THAT particular line comes over the huge rushing noisy music behind it, a total contradiction of the best kind...
smile.gif
Stillness? Here? Yeah RIGHT! *L*

[This message has been edited by Alisaura (edited 04-29-2001).]

At the moment: "You've got to put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York."

A nice finish to the whole Titanic/iceberg/lifeboat image of the previous line, and a succinct summation of this particular struggle in Bono's personal life, which has fueled god knows how many songs in the canon.

"CAN'T SING BUT I'VE GOT SOUL!"
biggrin.gif

DAMN! That one sounds sooooo good comin' from that soulful, sensual voice. It was almost surreal to hear Bono sing it live cuz everybody KNOWS that man can sing!

I agree with Salman Rushdie, 'She didn't get to say goodbye/To see the colour in his eyes/Now he's in the dirt' is a great line... and I also like 'I will not forsake
The colors that you bring/The nights you filled with fireworks/They left you with nothing'.

"I wonder what's gonna happen to you, You wonder what has happened to me"

"Love, lift me out of these blues, Won't you tell me something true, I believe in you"

"You make me feel like I can fly, so high,
Elevation"

------------------
"Maybe you could educate my mind"

"It?s just a moment, this time will pass"

For the same reason as someone above mentioned, when you are all down, just repeat this and you feel better. Maybe cause I?ve been VERY down the whole fall and winter and this has really helped me. Actually the whole song.
redface.gif
)

I also love
" You make me feel like I can fly, so high, ELEVATION"

Sara

I love all the lyrics, so here are a few of my favorite 'one-liners'.

From Beautiful Day:
"You're on the road, but you've got no destination".--I've felt this way at moments throughout my entire life.

From Stuck in a Moment...:
"I wasn't jumping, for me it was a fall. It's a long way down to nothing at all"

Walk On:
"You could have flown away. A singing bird in an open cage, who will only fly for freedom"

Grace:
"Grace makes beauty out of ugly things"

Stuck in a Moment is a really meaningful song for me... I think my favorite line would have to be "I wasn't jumping, for me it was a fall, it's a long way down to nothing at all..."
And all of Walk On... that song's just amazing.

i would have to say Walk On...i have always found bono's lyrics very inspirational and walk on is no exception, it has to be my favorite in this record.

It's a tie!

"What you don't have you don't need it now, what you don't know you can feel it somehow"

and

"I am still enchanted by the light you brought to me, I still listen through your ears, and through your eyes I can see."

And I have to agree with JulyFly about the "All that you fashon..." ending to Walk On. That entire verse is very powerful.

------------------
"I am rebelling against my own indifference, against the idea that the
world is the way the world is and there's not a damn thing I can do
about it." - Bono @ 2001 Harvard Commencement

"Somebody here owes me a pizza" - Bono, Elevation Tour, May 30, 2001

choices, choices....

"You're on the road, but you've got no destination. You're in the mud, in the maze of her imagination."

"You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight; these tears are goin' nowhere, baby."

"A place that has to believed to be seen"

"Did I know you? Did I know you even then? Before the clocks kept time- before the world was made... From the cruuuuuel suuuun, you were shelter- you were my shelter & my shade."
I also LOVE the "Wiiiiild, Wiiiiild" part after the chorus.

Other parts are favorites just for the way they're sung: "I'm a MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN- I'm not a child"

The whole ending of "Walk On" is great...the choice of words: "All that you fashion, etc..." I love it! I mean, WHO says things like that anymore?!?! And it's the sentiment behind the words, as well, that I find exceptionally moving.

One more: The bridge near the end of NY- "In the stillness of the evening, in the silence of this day, I heard your voice whispering, "Come away, now...to New York". It sends shivers up my spine cause it reminds me of "A Sort Of Homecoming": "o come away, o come away, o come..."

[This message has been edited by Julyfly (edited 06-08-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom