Fast Cars...inspired by the war in Iraq?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see the connection, myself, and I think that U2 would not inject their music into such a divisive political debate for a variety of reasons, some of which are:

1) their fans (it could alienate a significant portion of their American audience)

2) their political efforts (it could hurt Bono's ability to continue working with President Bush)

3) their relevance (Eminem's "Mosh" is already starting to feel like yesterday's news in the wake of the U.S. election)

How is this song not related to the war? "I've got the nightly news to get to know the enemy" and "in the desert to dismantle an atomic bomb." Maybe not directly but they have always been subtly commenting about the media and war going back to 1983, maybe sooner.
Theres a connection in that song and even Vertigo I believe.

mikal said:
i think it's more in reference to society, than one event.

Agreed. The lyrics could be applied to Iraq as a more specific meaning, but they could also be applied to other events. In a general sense, it's about society.

Fast Cars definately sounds like some sort of comment on how the average american sees the war in iraq

Fast Cars, while may not directly reference the War in Iraq, is definitely inspired by certain events regarding it.

The lyric that goes something like "Going into the desert to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" sounds very much like the war in Iraq to find Weapons Of Mass Destruction or would it not?

To me the line about "your picture in my pocket" seems very much like a soldier with his/her loved ones in the picture. :shrug:. That's the nice thing about U2 songs is that the can be interpreted in many ways.

Crumbs is a direct swipe at the rich countries and their attitude to the African debt relief thing. Lines such as "You had so much to offer, why did you offer your soul" "From the brightest star comes the blackest hole" etc.

I am pretty sure Fast Cars is about the period of time that Bono was trying to drown out the pain of losing his father.

He has all these television stations, fast cars, but all he wants is the picture in his pocket.

He finally has to go out to the desert (a lonely place) to dismantle an atomic bomb - which is himself.

Listen to the lyrics. I think that is what it is about. What do you guys think?

i just thought that when they wrote it they knew that they were scheduled to make the vertigo video in the desert sometime in the future. obviously if it was written way before that idea developed then so much for that theory. someone said that this was the last song that they recorded just sort of playing around in the studio. i don't know if that is true, but i know that they originally were going to call the album 'how to assemble an atomic bomb'. since the new title is in the song it could have been written late in the game.

TheFirstBigW said:
I don't see the connection, myself, and I think that U2 would not inject their music into such a divisive political debate for a variety of reasons, some of which are:

1) their fans (it could alienate a significant portion of their American audience)

2) their political efforts (it could hurt Bono's ability to continue working with President Bush)

3) their relevance (Eminem's "Mosh" is already starting to feel like yesterday's news in the wake of the U.S. election)

Right because they've never written about divisive political issues before...let's see Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Please :huh:

Come on...

Good point, although I think Bono is trying to be less partisan nowadays. He was probably trying not to take sides in this particular song. I still think it relates to Iraq, and was inspired by it as well.

Although it may be more heavy hearted than the usual acoustic set, I'd love to see "Fast Cars" included in it.

The OOTS said:
Anyone else think Crumbs From Your Table refers to the USA?

I agree I feel that "Crumbs from your table" is about America. It's late and I want to explain myself with examples from the lyrics but I'm tired so I'll give this as a starter because it's been on my mind all day. The line With a mouth full of teeth, you ate all your friends Seems to be pointing out how we went to war in Iraq with total disregard for what the UN said. And you broke every heart thinking every heart mendsThen have the mentality everyone(other nations) will get over it. At least that's what I'm getting out of it :huh:

Well, the best thing about U2 songs is how they can relate to other things after the fact - Bono's said it himself. Like how they used "Please" after 9/11 and the idea behind "In A Little While" changed after Joey Ramone.

Hey, I thought Fast Cars had been around a while (before Iraq?) and morphed (??) As far as deserts and atomic bombs, well that's where we used to test them in the "olde" days, so I already associate them with deserts, but I see the point.

All I know for sure is that I'd like my face in Bono's pocket as well.:wink:

Macfistowannabe said:
Good point, although I think Bono is trying to be less partisan nowadays. He was probably trying not to take sides in this particular song. I still think it relates to Iraq, and was inspired by it as well.

Although it may be more heavy hearted than the usual acoustic set, I'd love to see "Fast Cars" included in it.

True on that non-partisan approach. Saw him speak at a world-affairs event before the election and he would NOT show support for either candidate... he's got an awful lot of responsibility now doesn't he?

If they don't do Fast Cars live, I don't know what I'll do!!! Quickly becoming one of my favorites and I can't believe the misfortune of anyone who has just the normal album without it. Just makes me sad to know there are people who won't hear it... :sad:

In an interview Bono has mentioned his dad's passing was like an atomic bomb detonating. Hopping on a plane and going on a binge in southern France etc. He also said that dealing with it was like trying to dismantle an A-bomb after it had already gone off.

But he probably deliberately went for the obscure Iraq WMD metaphore by inserting desert into the lines, to make sure it was open for other interpretations. Lyrics are a window into the soul, I cannot blame him for obscuring things slightly by layering different metaphores. His lyrics are always heavy on desert references anyway, some biblical, some more earthly. In most cases representing emptyness, desolation, but also katharsis and selfreflection.

Last edited:
Dalton said:
I am pretty sure Fast Cars is about the period of time that Bono was trying to drown out the pain of losing his father.

He has all these television stations, fast cars, but all he wants is the picture in his pocket.

He finally has to go out to the desert (a lonely place) to dismantle an atomic bomb - which is himself.

Listen to the lyrics. I think that is what it is about. What do you guys think?

I know this is a little old but I've been thinking about this a lot. To me this is exactly what this song is about. There's this feeling in the song that he is going to lose his freakin' mind if he can't get this longing and grief out of his head. Everything about the song is fitting for that feeling of what I think it's about... the pace, the rushed/frantic feel of the singing, etc. This part, especially. :|

All I want is a picture of you
All I want is to get right next to you
All I want is your face in a locket
Picture in my pocket
I take a pill to stop it

Feels like -> :no: :scream: :no: heh

I'm sure there are some war/Iraq references too, and every interpretation of the song is valid. That's what great about U2 lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom