Elevation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnneMarie

Babyface
At one point in this song, I'm not sure at what time, Bono says something I can't under stand. (it's not in the tomb raider mix though) Does anyone know what is is because it's driving me crazy! Thanx!

:shrug: Not sure, but here are the lyrics. Maybe this will help...

High, higher than the sun
You shoot me from a gun
I need you to elevate me here

At corner of your lips
As the orbit of your hips
Eclipse
You elevate my soul

I've got no self control
Been living like a mole now
Going down, excavation
I and I in the sky
You make me feel like I can fly
So high
Elevation

A star
Lit up like a cigar
Strung out like a guitar
Maybe you can educate my mind

Explain all these controls
Can't sing but I've got soul
The goal is elevation

A mole
Digging in a hole
Digging up my soul now
Going down, excavation

I and I in the sky
So high
Elevation

Love
Lift me up out of these blues
Won't you tell me something true
I believe in you

A mole
Digging in a hole
Digging up my soul now
Going down, excavation

Higher now
In the sky
So high
Elevation

Elevation
Elevation
Elevation
Elevation

Thanx, but the thing isn't in the lyrics. I just listened to elevation again and it starts on 1:11 and ends at 1:15. I tryed to get what it says but I couldn't!

I know what she means, but damned if I know what those words are. It's just after the first chorus, right? In between the first chorus and the second verse...

paxetaurora said:
I know what she means, but damned if I know what those words are. It's just after the first chorus, right? In between the first chorus and the second verse...
i do too. i think he says something about shake your arms?? :scratch:

i'm a BAD interpreter of lyrics. i used to have to guess them when the stupid people wouldn't include the words. once i got the net, i'd go online and find the lyrics, and see how dead wrong i was! :sad:

Oh! I know what your talking about!

Well, I swear I made out "and swing your partner" in there.
Something, something "and swing your partner." I have no idea if I'm right but...

Elisabeth

i think i saw something about this on a site about hidden meanings and stuff but i can't remember....does www.atu2.com have a hidden meaning bit coz it could be on there....

Frpm the Hidden Meaning site:
Between the first chorus and the second verse of Elevation, Bono can be heard ad-libbing. Some ideas as what he's saying:
"Take it off and pit it out."
"Take it off, this suit is hot" - in this case he could be talking about the "suit of light" from Gone.

Between the first chorus and the second verse of Elevation, Bono can be heard ad-libbing. Some ideas as what he's saying:
"Take it off and pit it out."
"Take it off, this suit is hot" - in this case he could be talking about the "suit of light" from Gone.

:eyebrow: this sounds like crap to me. especially the second one.

Another rumour I've heard is that he actually says "We can still beat pop". :shrug: It sounds pretty accurate, but I don't know why he would say that. (even though they CAN.. ;) )

Return of the leopards..... :shifty:

While we're on Elevation......WTF does "I and I" mean? o_O Why are there 2 Bonos?! WTF

MonaVox said:

While we're on Elevation......WTF does "I and I" mean? o_O Why are there 2 Bonos?! WTF

:scratch: I could swear that I've heard that somewhere else before...Ugh...My mind is blank! :grumpy:

MonaVox said:

On MTV I saw the Elevation video director talking about the "good Bono and the and evil Bono" that were featured in the video. If you've seen it you'll note that our Bono receives a phonecall at the start saying "This is Evil Bono . We have the Edge. We want the key. You are surrounded".

So in that respect "I and I" might make since - there's one good Bono and one bad one! (Bet they're both still great songwriters though.)

Last edited:
Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

On MTV I saw the Elevation video director talking about the "good Bono and the and evil Bono" that were featured in the video. If you've seen it you'll note that our Bono receives a phonecall at the start saying "This is Evil Bono . We have the Edge. We want the key. You are surrounded".

So in that respect "I and I" might make since - there's one good Bono and one bad one! (Bet they're both still great songwriters though.)
But Joseph Khan just made a plot for the video without referring to the lyrics. Even when almost the entire video was shot, neither Bono nor Adam had a clue what was going on in the vid. When Elevation wouldn't have been the soundtrack for Tomb Raider the video would be completely different cos Evil U2 and Good U2 did just exist for fighting for that time-stopper-thingy of the movie. So I don't think this 'I and I' is referring to the video.

MonaVox said:

I and I is a Rastafarian thing (i.e. Bob Marley).

Here: (from http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/rast.html

I and I: This concept has become "the most important theoretical tool apart from the Babylonian conspiracy in the Rastafarian repertoire." Cashmore explains, "I and I is an expression to totalize the concept of oneness, the oneness of two persons. So God is within all of us and we're one people in fact. I and I means that God is in all men. The bond of Ras Tafari is the bond of God, of man. But man itself needs a head and the head of man is His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia."

Back
Top Bottom