Edge on Seconds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alisaura

Blue Crack Supplier
*wades in amongst all the BD analyses*
smile.gif

Here I go with this song again... on the second verse of Seconds, is it just me or does Edge sing it? It doesn't sound like Bono to me...

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof and they can't get it down."
-Bono

So i'm NOT crazy!! Or at least i'm not the only one.
biggrin.gif
I'm not sure if it is the Edge either but it doesn't sound like Bono. Love that quote!

------------------
i'd go insane without my spoons.

Basstrap (I think!) seemed to indicate in the "Edge" thread in the Everything You Know Is Wrong forum that Edge does sing somewhere on Seconds, I'm guessing now that it is that mysterious second verse.
I love this forum, so many of the things I thought I was crazy to notice have been shared by other people! I may be crazy, but at least I'm not alone.
smile.gif

Thanks, your quote's pretty good too... if slightly unusual.
smile.gif
I must base a philospohy on those zany Bono quotes one of these days...
Okay I think it's bed time for me!

And here I was under the impression that Edge sang the entire song. Seconds. Read At the End of the World. They talk about how it always shocked people when Edge performed it live because everyone thought Bono sang it.
smile.gif

-sulawesigirl

Originally posted by MrBTH:
Try watching "Under a Blood Red Sky" and you'll find out...
smile.gif
Yeah, as i seem to remember, Bono doesn't start singing until the third verse at least...and on WAR, you can totally tell when Bono comes in. Although i love the Edge's voice, Bono's is just so much more confident and a "lead-singer" voice that you can tell when he comes in (i think it's with the "In an apartment on Times Square...").

I've not yet seen the Under a Blood Red Sky video *sniff* but I've always thought Edge sang the whole song! This is a bit of a surprise -- I actually have never noticed a transition in the middle (i guess i was just so sure it was edge all the way through) .. hmmmmmmm you learn something new everyday
smile.gif
Thanks for educating me everyone!
biggrin.gif

i'm really glad you made this post Alisaura, as it's something that's been nagging at me....

_i_ always thought it was edge singing the first and last verse, with bono singing the middle part (the "in an apartment..." bit). so about a week ago i downloaded it (i moved recently and don't have all my cd's with me), and to my shock became absolutely convinced that the edge sings the WHOLE thing! (with bono just doing the back-up).

part of me is still leaning towards the edge/bono/edge theory, but to be honest i'm totally confused now after reading this thread!!!
frown.gif
is there any consensus? what does it say in the end of the world book?

and to complicate matters further, the second verse was always one of my favorite "bono" parts! now i don't know what to believe
rolleyes.gif
... (rolls eyes at self)

ps. hey sulawesigirl... apa kabar? dari mana?
smile.gif

Yikes!
I previously had no clue that anyone but Bono sang on Seconds (or any song on War)... To me it sounds like Bono/Edge/Bono, but I'll give it some serious listening. *looks at the lyrics* I dunno...
And MrBTH, I'd love to see Under A Blood Red Sky, but I've unfortunately never clapped eyes on it.
I guess it's a good thing to have our assumptions challenged now and then! To quote from one of my favourite Aussie films... "Assumption, my dear Mitz, is the mother of all fuck-ups." I love Priscilla!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Alisaura (edited 08-31-2000).]

Okay, I've changed my mind now!
smile.gif
After careful audio examination, I think it is Edge/Edge/Bono (Bono starting at the famous "In an apartment on Time Square" bit). The first verse doesn't quite sound "out there" enough for Bono, a bit reserved.
Having said that, I notice Bono and Edge try to sing together on the last verse ("And they're doing the atomic bomb")... I say "trying" cos they don't *quite* make it.
smile.gif

I also think the song's sung by Edge, but I'm not 100% sure... I am sure however that the lyrics are written by Edge

I, too, hear what people are saying when it sounds like Bono coming in, but from what I've seen and read, I was always under the impression that Edge sang the whole song. At least all the leads.

Yeah, Edge sings Seconds.

Ive always thought Bono chimes in for the...

Fall and rise USSR GDR london new York Peking..its the puppets, its the puppets pull the strings

he apparently mumbles some words under that verse as well.From the 'Apartment on time square part'..listen hard.

then they alternate with the 'say goodbye's

Thanks for the opinions everyone!
I still think the "apartment" verse (or that line at the very least) is PURE Bono... if it's not, Edge is doing a damn fine Bono impression.
smile.gif

But I haven't had War for that long, so I'll just have to listen to it a few dozen more times, I guess.

I think Edge has always sounded a lot like Bono. When I saw PopMart, Edge did his karaoke bit, and if it wasn't for the mustache, I'd have sworn it was Bono.

I feel like a bit of a ninny... I only just realised last night that Edge is credited with vocals on Seconds on the CD sleeve of War... teeheehee! Someone remind me to check my own meagre resources before instigating a debate like this again!
smile.gif

I listened to it a lot last night... I'm still convinced Bono sings the apartment (3rd) verse. Bono's voice is distinctive, and I don't think Egde would change the sound of his voice so completely in the middle of a song, if he DOES sound THAT much like Bono...
I'll bet anyone anything they like! If we can get absolute proof from someone who KNOWS... (this is where I'm in danger of dragging the "are members of U2 reading this forum" discussion in here...) Anyway, that's what I think, and I'm sticking to it.
smile.gif

ha ha ha Mr Flay

I did the same thing.

Had such good seata at popmart that of course all I could see was a figure. You would have thought that THE HAT would have given it away huh?
But, yes, I thought that Bono had sung SBS. It was a year later when I heard the recording that I realised otherwise.

You'd think I'd know the difference between an Edge tune and a Bono tune after 15 years, wouldnt you?
rolleyes.gif

This is a little off subject, but I noticed some people talking about never seeing Red Rocks video. I just bought in July at a Virgin mega-store. I also got the Unforgettable Fire tape. I think both are out of print now.

You got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

I think Alisaura's on the right track. Here's how i think it is (from memory as i haven't listened to this song or seen the Red Rocks video) BUBBA, can you settle this for good? Edge is credited with the singing on the War sleeve because he does seem to be the lead:

[EDGE]Takes a second to say goodbye
Say goodbye, oh, oh, oh
It takes a second to say goodbye
Say goodbye, oh, oh, oh, say bye bye...
Where you going to now...

[EDGE]Lightning flashes across the sky
East to west, do or die
Like a thief in the night
See the world by candlelight.

[EDGE and/or BONO, probably BONO]Fall, rise and...Fall, rise and...

[BONO]In an apartment on Time Square
You can assemble them anywhere
Held to ransom, hell to pay
A revolution everyday
[this part BONO for sure!!!]USSR, GDR, London, New York, Peking
It's the puppets, It's the puppets
Who pull the strings

[BONO - especially the "this is the rise and fall of all"]Fall, rise and...Fall, rise and...

[EGDE]Say goodbye, [BONO]say goodbye
[EDGE]Say goodbye, [BONO]say goodbye
[EDGE and BONO]Say goodbye

[EDGE]It takes a second to say goodbye
Say goodbye, oh, oh, oh
Push the button and pull the plug
Say goodbye, oh, oh, oh

[BONO - especially the "this is the rise and fall of all"]Fall, rise and...Fall, rise and...

[EDGE and BONO] And they're doing the atomic bomb
Do they know where the dance comes from
Yes they're doing the atomic bomb
They want you to sing along
Say goodbye, say goodbye
Say goodbye
Say goodbye.

Crap! My Red Rocks tape is back home, but I'm going home this weekend. I'll try to bring it back and look over it -- or somebody else could post the answer in the next couple days...

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

okay, here's the lowdown from Red Rocks.

But, this live performance IS different to how it is sung on the album, Bono tends to hog it he he

Edge starts: Takes a second to say goodbye, say goodbye..

Bono: Oh oh oh

Bono actually sings along with the chorus and next verse. See told you he hogs it.

Bono: say bye bye, where you going to now

Bono : fall and rising (which he does on the album)

You ready?...

BONO: In an apartment on Times Square
You can assemble them anywhere
held to ransom, hell to pay
a revolution everyday
(now he really gets into it) USSR, you know the rest.. etc

Edge: First 'say goodbye'
Bono: Say goodbye
Edge: Say goodbye etc

Bono: This is the rise and fall

BOTH sing (which is differnt to album):And they're doing the atomic bomb...

Now Ive watched it again, I feel like doing a post.

Back
Top Bottom