dvd "Classic Albums, U2, the Joshua Tree"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thankyou

Refugee
I posted this question on the "the goal is soul" discussion area but not much luck. Anyone here know the reference of the Joshua Tree in the bible? Just curious.

For anyone who has seen or owns the dvd "Classic Albums, U2, the Joshua Tree" there is a part where Anton Corbijn talks about finding the actual tree and talking to Bono about the idea of the Joshua Tree on the cover.

So he tells the story, on the video, how Bono came downstairs with his Bible and talked about the Joshua Tree in the bible, how he liked the idea of it, it's meaning etc...

My question is, I'm not a fanatical Bible reader, but I think I know my bible. I don't believe there is a reference to Joshua Tree in the bible, is there? And if so, where ?

I know, of course, the stories of the prophet Joshua, (choose ye this day whom ye will serve, but as for me and my house, we will serve the lord, etc....) but I don't know of any story of that prophet related to any tree or such. Any input?

I'm not sure if there are any Joshua Tree's in the Bible, but there are some Joshua's, and theres the burning bush, and probably some other stuff.
Also, I'm not a tree expert, but I think Joshua Tree's are native to America, and not found in the Middle East, so an actual Joshua Tree reference in the Bible would be a little odd.

Meghan said:
I'm not sure if there are any Joshua Tree's in the Bible, but there are some Joshua's, and theres the burning bush, and probably some other stuff.
Also, I'm not a tree expert, but I think Joshua Tree's are native to America, and not found in the Middle East, so an actual Joshua Tree reference in the Bible would be a little odd.

That's what I thought too. Anton Corbijn more likely might have misunderstood Bono talking about Joshua (the prophet) in the bible, and thought he was referring to a tree also. He's dutch, so maybe he might have misunderstood Bono's explanations at the time.

I also found this on WIKIPEDIA:

The name Joshua tree was given by a band of Mormons who crossed the Mojave Desert in the mid-19th century. The tree's unique shape reminded them of a Biblical story in which Joshua reaches his hands up to the sky.

The Joshua Tree
Crystallizing this musical journey, as the band jokingly says in the film Rattle and Hum, the album name The Joshua Tree is not without implicit meaning. The Hebrew name "Joshua" translated into Greek means "Jesus," which provides a Biblical connotation for the album content. What is more, the actual tree's shape reminds some of the outstretched arms of Jesus on the cross. Also, in the Old Testament, Joshua was leading the Hebrews in their follow-up victory at Ai, and he hanged their king on a tree until sunset. These images resonate with the themes of the album by evoking an image of a man suffering a great loss or making a great sacrifice, and either calling on something greater for assistance, or simply drawing on catharsis to reconcile what has been lost.

I thought someone might find it interesting to read this interpretation referring to the title of the album.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom