Do You Feel Loved?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
I feel loved by this song, but also a bit confused, lol!

How do we interpret this awesome and highly underrated gem from Pop?

I always want to rack my brain and analyze it- metaphors, etc. On the other hand, Bono manages to be poetic yet extremely direct here and that suggests he wants us to not read too much into it. So going on that, and considering the music as well, I can only get lust and sexual desire from it.

Anyone else?

Thoughts at all?

Am I way off base?

Has a band member ever helped us out with regards to understanding what inspired this song?

I love Pop and have actually grown to love it more over the years, but I think its the era I have read the least about in terms of band interviews, pre release magazine articles, etc, etc.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

not related to the meaning, but i've always thought it would be better if the sound it carried at the start went right through the song, i don't care so much for it once larry comes in.

still a great piece.

Just my interpretation. I hope it helps...

In these verses he's telling the woman in the song that she can use him; he'll do whatever it takes to please her.
Take these hands, they're good for nothing
You know these hands never worked a day
Take these boots they're going nowhere
You know these boots don't want to stray.

You got my head filled with songs
You got my shoelaces undone.
Take my shirt, go on, take it off me
You can tear it up if you can tie me down.

Take the colours of my imagination
Take the scent hanging in the air
Take this tangle of a conversation
Turn it into your own prayer.
With my fingers as you want them
With my nails under your hide
With my teeth at your back
And my tongue to tell you the sweetest lies.

Although he wants her to feel loved, he's suffering deep inside because it's all about her and he's ultimately her "servant". They have a good relationship form the outside, which is contrary to what he actually feels.
'Do you feel loved?' could equal 'What else do you want form me? Will I ever be enough for you?'
Do you feel loved?
Do you feel loved?
And it looks like the sun
But it feels like the rain, oh.

In the end he accepts love's ups and downs, and recognises love is what forces him to stay with her.
Love's a bully, pushing and shoving
In the belly of a woman.
Heavy rhythm taking over
To stick together a man and a woman
Stick together man and a woman
Stick together.

Just my interpretation. I hope it helps...

In these verses he's telling the woman in the song that she can use him; he'll do whatever it takes to please her.
Take these hands, they're good for nothing
You know these boots don't want to stray.

You got my shoelaces undone.
Take my shirt, go on, take it off me
You can tear it up if you can tie me down.

Turn it into your own prayer.
And my tongue to tell you the sweetest lies.

Although he wants her to feel loved, he's suffering deep inside because it's all about her and he's ultimately her "servant". They have a good relationship form the outside, which is contrary to what he actually feels.
'Do you feel loved?' could equal 'What else do you want form me? Will I ever be enough for you?'
Do you feel loved?
Do you feel loved?
But it feels like the rain, oh.

In the end he accepts love's ups and downs, and recognises love is what forces him to stay with her.
Love's a bully, pushing and shoving
In the belly of a woman.
Heavy rhythm taking over
To stick together a man and a woman
Stick together man and a woman
Stick together.

This is an awesome interpretation. Thanks!

I think the song's about a one night stand that ends with a pregnancy, forcing two strangers who don't love each other to stick together and figure things out.

^ Along those lines I've always felt it was about Bono describing his discomfort with the adulation that comes with being a rock idol/sex symbol in contrast to (or perhaps as a competing force against) the real love that comes from being a father and husband.

^ Along those lines I've always felt it was about Bono describing his discomfort with the adulation that comes with being a rock idol/sex symbol in contrast to (or perhaps as a competing force against) the real love that comes from being a father and husband.
that's the more extensive version :up:

Thank you all for your replies!

I definitely still see it as thejesu put it-- sex, sex and more sex!

Though as I think it through and read your replies, its definitely sex with an unstable/insecure girl who just wants to f#$k and nothing more! The character decides to do it with her probably because she's what is available at the time, not the ideal. Not love, despite what others may think of the situation.

I have pondered the rock star/fan relationship, but I can't find anymore than one or two lines taken out of context that point to this. ("take this tangle of a conversation....")

I have pondered the rock star/fan relationship, but I can't find anymore than one or two lines taken out of context that point to this. ("take this tangle of a conversation....")

Alright then, allow me.:D

Take these hands they're good for nothing
You know these boots don't want to stray

These lines describe fans wanting a 'piece' of him though he doesn't feel worthy of such adulation. Conjures up images of the audience clamouring to shake his hand and groupies being seductive.

You got my shoelaces undone
Take my shirt, go on take it off me
You can tear it up
If you can tie me down

What happens to an unprotected rock star in a hoard of unrestrained fans? They'd rip his clothes off.

And turn it into your own prayer

All he is offering are his songs and performance in which you can find your own meaning. Bono has often described his songs as conversations.

The repetition of "take" gives the impression that he is feeling used.

And my tongue to tell you the sweetest lies

...his words easily twisted by the stalker types who think he is speaking directly to them or critics who think he's full of shit.

Do you feel loved
Do you feel love
Do you feel loved

Simultaneously posing the question to himself and his fans. Is it real or an illusion.

But it feels like the rain

The glare of celebrity isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Love is coming, pushing and shoving
In the belly of a woman
Heavy rhythm taking over
To stick together
A man and a woman
Stick together
Man and woman
Stick together

Transitions back and forth from the "love" of a live concert crowd to the love within marriage and parenthood, each pulling in different directions.

And I feel loved
Do you feel loved
Do you feel loved
But it feels like rain
And there's heat in the sun
To see us through the rain

His real love comes from his family and yet he has often said he "needs" 20 thousand people screaming at him to feel normal.

I've always thought of it as an angry, cynical, sexually aggressive song about a relationship in trouble - one that's based in lies and deception, and pretty much all that's holding them together through all of this is sex.

Oh, I'm sure it does. I just can't get past the obvious one in this case.

I can live with that. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom