Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It make sense if you think of the song being sung by Macphisto (which it was live). It's the devil saying that daddy (or God) will take care of you since you are spoiled.

I always thought it was about Jesus:

You're precious stone (He was rare and unique)

You're out on your own (He came down from heaven by himself)

You know everyone in the world, but you feel alone. ( Even though he has omnipotent powers being god, he still feels hurt, betrayed and alone the days before his execut

Bill Flanagan's theory (in U2 At the End of the World) is that it's about Paul McGuinness.... :wink:

Considering that U2 was in full tour-headspace when they made Zooropa, I think there's something in that. Fits in with the dependence thing anyway...

Last edited:
I've always debated about this song. The lyrics are classic Bono in that they can be interpreted many ways. I've heard the heroine angle for years, but some aspects of the lyrics don't seem to fit just that type of dependency. The lines "you're licking your lips/nails bitten down to the quick" strongly suggest an addiction. However, how does "daddy" pay for anything or help save the person? Perhaps by altering reality? Perhaps by allowing the person to not go into withdrawal mode?

Jesus is another angle, but again, some aspects don't quite fit. As Bones58 wrote, there are some good lines that suggest the song is about Jesus. However, the title suggests someone getting in trouble with a "daddy" as a savior. One could argue that "daddy" here is God. However, I'd hardly equate dying on the cross to save the world with a "crashed car", but then, perhaps that is an unique way of considering the concept (i.e., "daddy" to save the person - or God to save Jesus).

McGuinness is also possible, but rather insulting. ;) McGuinness may get in "trouble" with a "crashed car" and U2 are there to bail him out (in a financial sense). There may be truth in that line, but it's not Bono's style to be so condescending.

So I'm a bit torn. I think it could be about all of the above or, as U2Girl wrote, about any type of dependency. But it is a great song and fits perfectly on the album. :love:

I've always thought that Bono was thinking about the Screwtape Letters, the book by C.S. Lewis, when he wrote it.

The devil is mocking the Christian man, who believes that God will forgive his sins, no matter what he does. The devil's claim is, that you can just go ahead and sin (the crashed car), God will 'pay' for it. The devil is actually trying to promote sin in the Christian human being. He's mocking Christianity, really.

In turn Bono is mocking the devil in the way he sings it and by dressing as him on stage.

"Butterfly kisses up and down your wrist"

I think the theory of heroin isn't far off.

I just think it's about dependence and depending on that something to save you from everything that's going on.

I've always thought that Bono was thinking about the Screwtape Letters, the book by C.S. Lewis, when he wrote it.

The devil is mocking the Christian man, who believes that God will forgive his sins, no matter what he does. The devil's claim is, that you can just go ahead and sin (the crashed car), God will 'pay' for it. The devil is actually trying to promote sin in the Christian human being. He's mocking Christianity, really.

In turn Bono is mocking the devil in the way he sings it and by dressing as him on stage.

Nicely put.

Back
Top Bottom