Coldplay lift lyrics from Beautiful Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lrcllb

The Fly
in What If? Martin uses the phrase that everyone knows is owned by Bono- 'all the colours bleed into one'

What does this guy think he's doing?

I think that those words actually came from someone else originally and not Bono. I read somewhere that he'd borrowed the phrase but I can't remember who from. Perhaps someone here can clarify... (and anyway, whoever coined that phrase - it doesn't matter cos no one sings it better then our B).:drool:

Is it in a new song, or did he just sing it once live or something?

"All the colors bleed into one.." -- isn't that from ISHFWILF?

Didn't Coldplay sing part of a U2 song at Slane and then Bono sang part of Yellow when U2 went onstage?

Last edited:
u2bonogirl said:
Im sure Bono wouldnt mind having lyrics lifted by Chris Martin. They have some similar ideals, and from what I hear Chris is a good guy.
Its like a compliment to Bono. He steals lines from other people :lol:
:lol:
exactly.
Chris is a good guy, he's an amazing singer as is Bono

Chris Martin loves U2, and I think he means to give Bono a compliment. BTW Bono also really likes Coldplay and admires Chris' political causes; he's very active with Oxfam.

yeah it's from still haven't found. which ironically enough while Coldplay was recording X&Y they had the Joshua Tree CD Cover Poster hanging in their studio. :D

That's not irony.

And they put it there intionally, for inspiration.

And Bono steals lyrics from all over. Other song writers, poets, and the Bible.

No big deal.

lrcllb said:
in What If? Martin uses the phrase that everyone knows is owned by Bono- 'all the colours bleed into one'

What does this guy think he's doing?

youvedonewhat said:
I think that those words actually came from someone else originally and not Bono. I read somewhere that he'd borrowed the phrase but I can't remember who from. Perhaps someone here can clarify... (and anyway, whoever coined that phrase - it doesn't matter cos no one sings it better then our B).:drool:

u2bonogirl said:
Im sure Bono wouldnt mind having lyrics lifted by Chris Martin. They have some similar ideals, and from what I hear Chris is a good guy.
Its like a compliment to Bono. He steals lines from other people :lol:

MooMoo! said:
chris is actually a red hot u2 fan. he knows the back catalog off by heart. :up:

yet another attempted "PROTECT U2 AT ALL COST!" super-rant quashed rather quickly :) well done boys and girls! :wave:

Last edited:
it's a signature line and if bono stole it from someone else please provide the information as to who.

jesus christ, chris, do something original.

With this new song Till kingdom come everytime I hear it I think he will begin to sing"it's christmastime, there's no need to be afraid"and then all of a sudden he starts and the wheels keep on turnin...wtf: is Tian Turner in da house...

and ideed, Bono does "steel"but all the colours bleed into one is such a blantant ripp off, come on guys you can do better..:wink:

Well since Coldplay are simply a bunch of pretendy U2-copiers (and rubbish ones at that) I'm not very surprised.

The Coldplay song is actually Square One and the line is "are they bleeding all your colors into one".

< nitpicking Coldplay fan

I don't see it as a knock off, but more as a tribute. But yeah that line is from somewhere else all together.

Oasis also used this line in the song Part of the Queue:

Suddenly i found that i'd lost my way in this city
the streets and the thousands of colours all bleed in to one
I Fall down heaven wont help me
I call out, no one would hear
All of a sudden I'd lost my way outta the city

but that was 2005. Are they stealing as well? Everyone borrows from everyone

Back
Top Bottom