Cedars Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cathou_u2

Refugee
Since I haven't been able to completely figure these lines out, I thought I might as well post the question here, as I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's a little bit confused with these lines...

"The worst of us are a long drawn out confession
The best of us are geniuses of compression"
(Cedars of Lebanon)

I've dwelled on them, but haven't come up with anything really. If anyone's willing to demystify them for me, I hate to be in the dark like this with Bono's words, no matter how beautiful they may sound!:heart:

In my opinion to be a "long drawn out confession" isn't necessarily a bad thing, but since I don't completely "get" the lines, I might be completely mistaken here:lol: I get the 2nd one though, being the best at keeping everything locked in place, everything stable......but then, your cover will surely blow up sooner or later, so that might not be such a good thing, in the end.

Well, share your thoughts, we'll find enlightenment together :D

In other words, long-winded folks are bad, people who use few words and get their point across are good

Thanks for the comments!
I think I was reading too much into it really, forgot the literal explanation:doh:, but one never knows with Bono!!:lol:

Since I haven't been able to completely figure these lines out, I thought I might as well post the question here, as I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's a little bit confused with these lines...

(Cedars of Lebanon)

I've dwelled on them, but haven't come up with anything really. If anyone's willing to demystify them for me, I hate to be in the dark like this with Bono's words, no matter how beautiful they may sound!:heart:

In my opinion to be a "long drawn out confession" isn't necessarily a bad thing, but since I don't completely "get" the lines, I might be completely mistaken here:lol: I get the 2nd one though, being the best at keeping everything locked in place, everything stable......but then, your cover will surely blow up sooner or later, so that might not be such a good thing, in the end.

Well, share your thoughts, we'll find enlightenment together :D

I actually think that you were right. There's the literal meaning, from the perspective of the reporter, but then there's the underlying meaning, and as we all know, most of Bono's lyrics have multiple meanings and layers.

I've always thought of the "long, drawn out confession" line as having two potential meanings. First, that people have many sins to confess, that they're constantly living their lives in guilt, confessing and atoning. Second, that nowadays, some people tend to live their lives in a very public way, basically putting their whole lives on display for others, confessing what others would keep private. Just think of some of the most over-the-top people out there who publicize their entire lives on social media, living out their personal dramas in public, for everyone to see.

As for "geniuses of compression," I like your thoughts on the line. I sort of think along the same lines as you, it's always struck me as talking about someone who represses things and keeps their life neatly compartmentalized, and is very careful about how and when they reveal themselves, and let certain parts out - sort of the antithesis of the "long, drawn out confession" type of person.

My second favourite song on the album, after the title track. :)

The worst of us are a long drawn out confession

This is what it means to me. If he is describing a Religious state, it is how people fool the people into believing the religion. The worst (at the job of Religion) apologize after the nefarious act. They are wicked because they decided to factor in someones fate when they acted. They shallowly admit their actions after the act has been committed.
The confession is the justification for the action. Meanwhile, the consequences were known from the onset.

"The best of us are geniuses of compression"

This is 'how you lie'. The genius of compression can pass a polygraph because they are so good at it. Lying here includes a wide definition that also includes 'acting' and any other such act. 'Leading on' whatever. When you lie, you compress the lump in your throat or hold the perspiration you could sweat. It is like a blinking contest.

Second, that nowadays, some people tend to live their lives in a very public way, basically putting their whole lives on display for others, confessing what others would keep private.

That would tie in with the Playboy Mansion quote, "talk shows, confession".

I actually think that you were right. There's the literal meaning, from the perspective of the reporter, but then there's the underlying meaning, and as we all know, most of Bono's lyrics have multiple meanings and layers.

I've always thought of the "long, drawn out confession" line as having two potential meanings. First, that people have many sins to confess, that they're constantly living their lives in guilt, confessing and atoning. Second, that nowadays, some people tend to live their lives in a very public way, basically putting their whole lives on display for others, confessing what others would keep private. Just think of some of the most over-the-top people out there who publicize their entire lives on social media, living out their personal dramas in public, for everyone to see.

As for "geniuses of compression," I like your thoughts on the line. I sort of think along the same lines as you, it's always struck me as talking about someone who represses things and keeps their life neatly compartmentalized, and is very careful about how and when they reveal themselves, and let certain parts out - sort of the antithesis of the "long, drawn out confession" type of person.

My second favourite song on the album, after the title track. :)

:love: Brilliant!
That's more in line with what I was thinking, glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought about this:D But like I said, multiple explanations are possible!

I actually always work best with the underlying meaning of Bono's lyrics, it's the matter of fact, right in your face, that I'll sometimes miss:doh: I really loved your explanation about confession/atonement vs putting everything out there for the world to see:applaud:, one may think about FB, Twitter and the like...

"Repression" that's the word I was looking for!:wink: By compartmentalizing too much, you just divide & subtract your attention from the whole to the tiny little categories of your life, hence the, it might blow up in your face someday, because you won't have seen it coming...

I adore Magnificent, MOS, Stand Up Comedy and Cedars just always blows my mind! It takes me far away, and on headphones it's simply magical!:heart:

Second, that nowadays, some people tend to live their lives in a very public way, basically putting their whole lives on display for others, confessing what others would keep private.

That would tie in with the Playboy Mansion quote, "talk shows, confession".

Indeed!:applaud:
Thanks for the explanation!

I've always thought these lines were quite literal in their meaning, but that at the same time Bono was talking about himself as a writer, he's said that he's quite good at conceptual level, but very poor at specific level, that his songs don't tell a story, they present an image, a concept.

I've always thought these lines were quite literal in their meaning, but that at the same time Bono was talking about himself as a writer, he's said that he's quite good at conceptual level, but very poor at specific level, that his songs don't tell a story, they present an image, a concept.

How interesting! Do you remember where you've read that?! I'd like to read on that subject!:D

How interesting! Do you remember where you've read that?! I'd like to read on that subject!:D

I think he's said that more than once, but I can remember he talks about it in U2 by U2 in the part he's talking about his wedding and that he wrote the lyrics of War during his honeymoon, then he starts talking about how painful writing was at times and that his wife had to put the pen in his hand literally. Sorry, I can't quote it because I've only got a Spanish edition here, but look into the chapter about War and you'll find it.

I think he's said that more than once, but I can remember he talks about it in U2 by U2 in the part he's talking about his wedding and that he wrote the lyrics of War during his honeymoon, then he starts talking about how painful writing was at times and that his wife had to put the pen in his hand literally. Sorry, I can't quote it because I've only got a Spanish edition here, but look into the chapter about War and you'll find it.

Oh, I remember!:D
Going to hunt the section "War" down!
Thanks for reminding me.

Oh, I remember!:D
Going to hunt the section "War" down!
Thanks for reminding me.

I've been checking it, it is a bit earlier than I thought, in the INTO THE HEART section, in my edition it is on page 99, I don't think there will be a big difference, although texts in Spanish are longer than in English I supposed they adjusted the letter size to make the texts coincide with the appropriate pictures.

I've been checking it, it is a bit earlier than I thought, in the INTO THE HEART section, in my edition it is on page 99, I don't think there will be a big difference, although texts in Spanish are longer than in English I supposed they adjusted the letter size to make the texts coincide with the appropriate pictures.

Thanks for the precision:hug:

Back
Top Bottom