Cedars of Lebanon Background Lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LedHed1234

The Fly
What is being muttered in the background of Cedars of Lebanon? I sounds like, "ah joo joo ba" and is in the background at various points in the song. Just curious.

Discussed extensively here several weeks ago:
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/cedars-of-lebanon-appreciation-thread-193657-4.html

I personally have always heard Arabic phrasing, with no idea what the words are or the meaning.

Some people claim to hear "...dier brought oranges..." in broken english.

I don't think the debate has been settled, but I think if someone who could understand Arabic listened to the song, they could quickly discern what is being said.

I personally have always heard Arabic phrasing, with no idea what the words are or the meaning.
Same here; it sounds to me like 'al-agajibra,' 'al-gajib ra,' or something very close to that. But yeah, even to be able to look up the meaning, you'd need to know enough Arabic not only to be sure of the consonants, but also to parse out which consonants make up the root word and which ones are perhaps part of a prefix or suffix.

It's run through a ton of effects and broken up, but it's "soldier brought oranges," with oranges cut off so you only hear the "o" part.

I removed the left channel from the recording and removed the bass part and most of the music to make sure I could hear it clearly, it's definitely "Solider Brought Orange"

Probably has something to do with the Soldier brings oranges he got out from a tank line in the song.

^Yeah...I know that part of the song.

I googled it, there was a movie called "Soilder of Orange"...don't think that has anything to do with this

In my mind, I picture the soldier taking oranges (a sweet, rare treat) over to the impoverished child drinking the dirty water. Kind of a lyrical juxtaposition of a trained killer performing an act of love.

Back
Top Bottom