Bullet and Exit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azor

Refugee
Did U2 named the album "Rattle And Hum" because of Bullet the blue sky? There's a part in the song that Bono says: ...In the locust wind comes a rattle and hum...

If i'm wrong, so what's the reason of "Rattle And Hum"?

Also i was thinking if there's a connection between BTBS and Exit.
:eyebrow: :ohmy:

I think they named it after the line in BTBS, it was one of their bigger live songs ever

and no, i believe there is no connection between Exit and BtBS, but thatz just me

Well, there is a connection of sorts between the two songs. "Bullet the Blue Sky" is Bono's account of what he saw firsthand of the war in El Salvador. "Exit" was (supposedly) heavily influenced by the book The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer (which recounted the life of Gary Gilmore).

So while Bullet the Blue Sky is about war on a national scale (nation against nation), Exit is about war on a personal scale (fighting against oneself).

just my thoughts...

goat

}:)~

in the locust wind, comes a rattle and hum

is the sound of a helicopter gunship attacking in the jungle El Salvador or any other central american country at that time.

That still doesn't quite explain why specifically the R&H album & film have a very conflict oriented title:
War
UF
How to... DaAB
...R&H

I love BTBS, but have always found it a bit odd in the JT line-up, in the flow of songs it works great musically, but lyrically? I feel it connects best with Mothers of the Disappeared. ' Streets may work too.
Same on R&H, it should've been linked with pride, silver & gold and all along the watchtower.

I think I've read somewhere that the continuous filming, the camera crews etc. gave them the feeling of jungle warfare, could that be the reason?

Back
Top Bottom