Bono's captain obvious lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
can we list the "captain obvious" lyrics...the ones that just make no sense...

ex. "Lights go down...its dark"

Well to be fair "it's dark, the jungle is your head", the 'dark' doesn't necesarily mean the lighting. I think it can mean the mood, the feeling...

waynetravis said:
Midnight is where the day begins

That's funny I never even thought about the obviousness of the technical aspect. I always thought it was suppose to be somewhat ironic. The word itself means the middle of the night, so it's ironic that the day begins in the middle of the night.

Did I ask too much, more than a lot
You left my heart, empty as a vacant lot
some days are better than others
it's the name for a girl, it's also a thought that changed the world
stuck in a moment you can't get out of

Last edited:
"Midnight is where the day begins" is NOT a simplistic or crappy line, it's actually quite meaningful! My interpretation of it anyway has always been that it means that even midnight (which is seen as the height of darkness/depression etc) can be looked at in a positive light (because, technically it IS where the day begins, and the day brings light/hope etc).

So, IMO that line should be stricken from this thread :wink:

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
"Midnight is where the day begins" is NOT a simplistic or crappy line, it's actually quite meaningful! My interpretation of it anyway has always been that it means that even midnight (which is seen as the height of darkness/depression etc) can be looked at in a positive light (because, technically it IS where the day begins, and the day brings light/hope etc).

:up:

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

It also means that all the cool stuff happens after midnight - midnight it where our day really begins to get fun.

Just because lyrics are deemed "obvious" doesn't mean that they are being knocked or deemed to be bad lines.

Many of those mentioned are not necessarily obvious; for instance, "lights go down, it's dark" is dependent upon the original intensity of the lights. Very bright lights can "go down" and still not create complete darkness, only a greater degree of darkness relative to the original state. "As empty as a vacant lot," however, is redundant. I always wished that that line would be changed, as well as "baby, can we still be friends?"

Don't find yourself in someone else, always

You got to cry with out weeping

Scream without raising your voice

A song that I can sing in my own company

The only baggage you can bring
Is all that you can't leave behind

A place that has to be believed to be seen

And I would chase you down the wind

Tiny hand with a grip on the world

I always thought 'Midnight is where the day begins' went along with the other truisms on ZooTv like 'Religion is a Club' etc..

Back
Top Bottom