Bono's best lyrics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Babyface_20 said:

Took the lyrics right outa my mouth Soul Love! I love those lyrics, They Kick ass!
My favorite lyric, too (The Fly). Also, I really think this couplet in HMTMKMKM is outstanding...

"They want you to be Jesus,
They'll go down on one knee
They'll want their money back,
If you're alive at thirty-three"

its so hard to pick a favorite, it really is... all his lyrics to me are great, or at least 99%. i personally did not care for 'i like the sound of my own voice/an intellectual tortoise'! :lol:

"I love you cause I need to
Not because I need you
I love you cause I understand
That God has given me your hand
It holds me in a tiny fist
But still I need your kiss
Hold onto love"

Recently while on a road trip - I listened to Pop and the words to Stay hit me like never before - it brought me back to that dark day in September.

Semptember - streets capsizing
Shards of glass spinning down the drain.......

YBORCITYOBL said:
Recently while on a road trip - I listened to Pop and the words to Stay hit me like never before - it brought me back to that dark day in September.

Semptember - streets capsizing
Shards of glass spinning down the drain.......
That's not Stay.... Stay is a Zooropa song. Those lyrics are from Please.

all the songs on boy have great lyrics, i cant believe enough of the earlier stuff has been mentioned!

'Sometimes a hero takes me
Sometimes I don't let go.'

just too relevant to most us u2 fans!

i always liked the lyrics to dirty day (even though they didn't rhyme), which was played to perfection in zoo tv: sydney

Need someone to blame?
Hey, throw a rock in the air
You're bound to hit someone guilty

of course, i enjoy the song writing of the fly, running to stand still, one, please sometimes you can't make it on your own, stories for boys (which is great added in on vertigo during the tour), 40, until the end of the world, walk on, and bullet the blue sky

another forgotten song is one tree hill

The sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of it

I've always felt the song "Drowning Man" has some of Bono's best lyrics ...

"Take my hand
You know I'll be there
If you can
I'll cross the sky for your love"

and of course ... that emotional chorus

"Hold on, and Hold on tightly
Hold on and don't let go of my love"

Too many to choose from although I would agree that several lines from the FLY are wicked...

I really dig his play on words in All Because Of You: "I'm not broke but you can see the cracks..."

There is something so simple yet brilliant in that set of words, always makes me smile...

Back
Top Bottom