Bono - Uncanny Preminition - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > It's A Musical Journey
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2004, 11:22 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 01:07 PM
and what about the planes in the videos? (in Beautiful day, walk on and elevation)
I was shocked in seeing that the planes, used in a funny way by U2, could be employed in such a terrible way..

valentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:43 PM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Actually, the song "Bullet the Blue Sky" reminds me so much of a war I never really saw--the civil war in DR Congo a while back--one which i feel strikes close to home for me b/c it WAS my home for 5 and a half years.

PennyPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:28 AM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Walk On always reminds me of 9/11, I guess because we do have to walk on... we can't be stuck in that moment. To me, a lot of ATYCLB was really premonitious. Think about it, in Kite " I know that this is not goodbye", Peace on Earth, New York, etc
U2girl91289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:40 AM   #19
New Yorker

Re: Bono - Uncanny Preminition

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanover
September... streets capsizing...
spilling over down the drain
...shards of glass splinters like rain
But you could only feel your own pain...
october... talking getting nowhere...
November... December... remember...
are we just starting again...?

My apologies for touching on what occurred on 9/11 - I just had to emphasise how the lyric of 'Please' released long before that terrible attack on New York City is now for me readily associated with that date.

Do you have any more lyrics to add that may also have a direct bearing on some event?
I think Ali was quoted somewhere discussing the words to please how it reflected 9/11
youtwohearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 11:40 AM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Maybe that ATYCLB was a sort of premonition, but also a catartic thing to help you going on...
When I turned the radio, this morning, and I heard U2's "New York", used to commemorate the victims of the bsurd attack of 9/11, I realise how important music can be. Especially if it's U2's music.
valentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:22 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:07 PM
What are you thinking about the future?

[Bono:] I just made up a shirt that says "2002." It's odd for us, having started out the year making an album with all the artwork of airports and the title and the themes, and all of us walking out onstage in military clothes with flowers woven into them, playing with the symbolism of the peace movement. And to then suddenly be in it is quite odd. I got a call from Ali, my wife, the other day. She was just trying to get rid of stuff at home and found a videotape of us on the MTV Video Music Awards a few years ago in New York doing the song "Please." She said she thought it was one of our worst performances but told me to go back and listen to the song. I put it on and I couldn't believe what I heard. ("September, streets capsizing / Spilling over down the drain / Shards of glass splinters like rain / But you could only feel your own pain... October, talk getting nowhere / November, December; remember / We just started again.") It's essentially about fundamentalism, political or religious. Religious fundamentalism is where you get to shrink God; you remake God in your own image, as opposed to the other way around. It gave me a bit of a fright, and we're going to put it back into our show.

(from "People of the Year: Bono -- Fighting the good fight, in the name of love and rock & roll" by Anthony Bozza, Rolling Stone, December 2001)
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:10 AM   #22
New Yorker

wow those lyrics really do paint the picture of September 11th.

Never knew that bit about what Ali said, very intresting.

celia is offline   Reply With Quote