Bono interpreting everything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keocmb

Refugee
This comes from the 3/4/02 issue of Time magazine that Bono was on the cover of...

"Lyrically, Bono was struggling with his father's terminal illness (his father Bob Hewson died of cancer last year), but specificity can be the pagues of pop. Songs like One, Where the Streets Have No Name, Stay, and Walk On from All That You Can't Leave Behind achieve the impossible - becoming meaningful to millions of people - precisely because they are beautifully vague. 'Bono did something recently that he probably shouldn't have done,' says drummer Larry Mullen Jr. 'He did a book for a friend of his in Ireland that explained all the lyrics. I think that was a mistake because one of the most valuable things about his lyrics is that you can adapt them to any particular situation.'

My question is: Does anyone know anything about this said book?

I think I kind of agree with Larry, but I guess it would be interesting to read the book, you can still think what the lyrics mean to you in your own way.

Anyone know what the book is?

I know I was torn when I read that. It would be a freaking dream come true to read a book that had Bono's interpretations, on the other hand I agree with Larry.

I haven't heard any more about the book coming out though.

I'm pretty sure Larry said this quote about the book Niall Stokes wrote U2 Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every Song. So it is not a recent quote.

:wave: Olive

oliveu2cm said:
I'm pretty sure Larry said this quote about the book Niall Stokes wrote U2 Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every Song. So it is not a recent quote.

:wave: Olive
Yup, that's what I thought too. :yes:

Though this book isn't good at all. :eyebrow: There was a thread in that literature forum of Interference once....I was very disappointd when I read the book.

EPandAmerica said:
I know I was torn when I read that. It would be a freaking dream come true to read a book that had Bono's interpretations, on the other hand I agree with Larry.

:yes: Same here.

If Larry's quote was about Into the Heart, I personally didn't think those interpretations were in-depth enough to explain or ruin the meanings of the songs. I bought the book thinking it would be interesting to dig deeper into the meanings, but I ended up feeling hardly enlightened at all. Did anyone else feel this way, or is it just me? :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom