best album lyrically

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VampiressDarie

Babyface
which album do you think has the best lyrics?I would say either Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, Achtung baby is darker, so I'd choose it, but that may just be my personal preference, and not actually the lyrics being better.

I can't even begin to choose. I can only eliminate one as not as compelling as the other's. That would be ATYCLB. As much as I love it, I can't say it moves me lyrically like JT, UF, AB, POP,War, etc. Not necessarily in any given order. Depends on what mood I'm in. Like right now, listening to POP. No one tells me no!

Last edited:
I connect really well with the lyrics in Pop, so there's some natural bias there. Some songs in JT and AB are wonderful lyrically, though, and we can't overlook Zooropa.

AB has the deepest thoughts and also darkest I guess, whereas pop is great too. even the early works like even pre-boy have their quality.

My 2 cents - most of them have wonderful lyrics. I kind of like the lyrics from UF, it contains lots of spacey non-specific lyrics - more images and feelings as opposed to stories. But I would have to give the nod to AB. Not only is AB dark and mysterious, but pure poetry.

in my opinion The Joshua Tree has the best lyrics .

some of them are:

One Tree Hill
"We turn away to face the cold, enduring chill
As the day begs the night for mercy love
The sun so bright it leaves no shadows
Only scars carved into stone
On the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes"

"i don't believe in painted roses
Or bleeding hearts
While bullets rape the night of the merciful
I'll see you again
When the stars fall from the sky
And the moon has turned red
Over One Tree Hill"

Mothers of the Disappeared
In the wind we hear their laughter
In the rain we see their tears
Hear their heartbeat
We hear their heartbeat

And of course:

Running to Stand Still
You got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

I would go with The Joshua Tree.

I think it's deceptively simple. :up:

It is a close call with AB, but I will go with my favorite.

three for me:
joshua - most poetic and beautiful words.
achtung baby - most intense words.
pop - most clever words.

Going on pure words, i would say JT, going on flow i would say AB, and going on lyrical concepts i'd give the nod to Zooropa. Pop is also very smart.

Joshua Tree has the best lyrics from beginning to end. I can't think of any throwaway lines from that album.

POP is brilliant- Miami and Discotheque for example

UF is brilliant as well - Promenade and ASOH and Bad for example

Hard to separate the 2, October in 2nd place for me.

Achtung Baby for me. My favourite song is 'Acrobat'. That song just speaks to me man and Mr. Edge's geetar is just incredible.

UF, very close Pop
both have an unique lyric sophistication

Last edited:
Achtung Baby is the best, but Pop's lyrics are it's saving grace IMO. I also am partial to UF.

Back
Top Bottom