BD song and video thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U24me

The Fly
The whole video is much deeper than what I first thought. The director even said so, but stated that he just makes entertaining videos and doesn't get into that. Here's my take, for what's it is worth...

Bono's alter ego is in the video all along. Bono has died, (maybe the other band members, too) but the FLY has to stay behind. Every time you see Bono in the video without his glasses, he is the FLY. On the second verse, as he walks through the door, the FLY puts his hands up around his eyes - he's looking for his glasses. He wants to join Bono and the band, but they don't see him. He doesn't count anymore. He's what gets left behind. Interesting that you see the FLY on an escalator going DOWN. He does take the apple (fruit of knowledge) from the girl (Eve), and then falls down in bliss.

This is where I am a little unsure. The lyrics at this time are definitely giving a version of the view from heaven (see the world in green and blue...), as well as being able to see all time (see the bird with the leaf in her mouth, after the FLOOD (Noah) all
the colors came out). Not sure if that is what Bono sees after leaving, or if the FLY gets just a short glimpse of what he is
missing because he ate the fruit of knowledge from the garden of Eden. He doesn't even move, though, as he goes behind the curtain. However, I think this is another effort from the FLY to join the band on their journey by getting on board the plane through the luggage carriers. I think the reason this video took place at an airport was to send the message about Bono, or U2, leaving to that other place (heaven). The FLY is trying to get there too, but doesn't. The ending shows that.

Also shows that maybe he knew he wasn't going, as he jumps in what looks to be joy going down the runway. But then he just keeps running.

Thoughts?

That's a really interesting way to look at the video. Trying to show another transition that the band has made?
I've only seen the video once, so I can't say too much, but the one thing I strongly believe in when it comes to music videos, is that the images being shown MUST have a connection to the lyrics. Or the complete opposite, where it's just the band playing, but it's shot in such an amazing way (see A Perfect Circle's video for Judith for a great example).
I don't see a lot about transitions in the song, more about holding on to a moment and enjoying the simplicity of it regardless of the worries around you. Since I see the song that way, I hated the video with Bono running around the airport. My vision for the video would have been showing several scenes of chaos and having characters find moments of peace within the chaos. I haven't studied the lyrics to Beautiful Day so my opinion might change, but while I like your suggestion of Bono playing the lost Fly, I don't think it fits with the song, so I don't think it's a good video.

Skyanin

Back
Top Bottom