Backstory behind Whos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

floridita727

The Fly
Sorry in advance if we're not allowed to ask about these kinds of things but it piqued my interest.
I was on songmeanings.net looking @ this song & the very 1st comment says Larry said it was about one of the guys who had an affair with a fan? And how it went wrong. Hogwash?
The lyrics kinda do seem to make sense. Its obviously about a woman who has some issues. But such a beautiful song either way.

SongMeanings | Lyrics | U2 - Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

IF there was one member dating a fan, it would've probably been Adam at the time. But since he was seeing Naomi Campbell, that comment is bullshit.

I think this song has more to do with Edge and his divorce, as most on AB will.

IF there was one member dating a fan, it would've probably been Adam at the time. But since he was seeing Naomi Campbell, that comment is bullshit.

Adam didn't start dating Naomi Campbell until early 1993, so way after WGRYWH was written.

Probably. They do say the song is about sexual jealousy.

I think you're right. I saw comments to that effect as I kept reading.
When I first read that comment though, the gossip in me thought "Oooh!" lol.
Thanks for the replies :)
I'm listening to AB now & falling in love with it.

Really? I thought it was much earlier!

I remember reading an implication that it started in 1992, a piece of information in my brain tape that I would have hoped had been replaced by something useful by now.

I don't want to go right out and suggest anything, but you know, there's no reason why it could only be about a relationship Adam was going through. You know, things happen that people regret. I'm just callin' it a bit naive, I guess.

Still think it's about Edge and Aislinn anyway.

Adam wasn't seeing Campbell until well into the ZOO TV tour. I think the song's about Edge and Aisling.

I'm pretty sure the story was inspired by their filming of the New Year's Day video and how Bono was scared of riding the horse so they had to get a stand in :shrug:

Is that not right?

Weren't the lyrics just written by Bono for The Edge, since Edge was going through a divorce during the recording of Achtung Baby?

Back
Top Bottom