ATYCLB and 9/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oregoropa

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Some of the lyrics on ATYCLB seem to prophesize 9/11.

Stuck in a Moment - "I wasn't jumping, for me it was a fall, its a long way down till nothing at all"

Kite - "Life should be fragrant, rooftop to the basement"

New York - "Religious nuts, political fanatics"

The whole airport theme too. It has always been eerie to me. It's almost like the album has a connection with the event even though it was released before hand.

While obviously not on ATYCLB, the lyrics to Please are very haunting as well:

September
Streets capsizing
Spilling over
Down the drain
Shards of glass
Splinters like rain
But you could only feel
Your own pain

Last edited:
g0rman said:
While obviously not on ATYCLB, the lyrics to Please are very haunting as well:

September
Streets capsizing
Spilling over
Down the drain
Shards of glass
Splinters like rain
But you could only feel
Your own pain

please talks right about a bombing in ireland

babyman said:

please talks right about a bombing in ireland

Yes, but it's scarily prophetic of and relevant to the events of 11/09/01, wouldn't you agree?

I really go as far as saying prophetic to the murder of so many people but some very great songs of rememberance, I remember hearing a mix of stuck in a moment with the first reports of the attack running with it, sent a bloody shiver down my spine (and still does).

New York:

Lose your balance, lose your wife, in the queue for the lifeboat

voices on the cell phone, voices from home, voices down the stairwell (all the people who called home on their cell phones while trying to flee the Twin Towers, and in the airplanes)

hot as a hair dryer in your face, hot as a handbag and a can of mace

Axver said:

Yes, but it's scarily prophetic of and relevant to the events of 11/09/01, wouldn't you agree?

it reminds to 9-11 because it talks of a bombing, so under this aspect yes, but if you say so, you may compare that verse to other bombings you know, it is easy to generalize in cases like this, there are songs of 10-20-30 years ago who treat same themes you may find prophetic, but they aren't (of course). you must apply songs or verses to their main theme, i don't believe bono was thinking to the WTC bombing when he wrote that song and the other songs in question

Last edited:
Axver said:

The way prophets work is they speak of the immediate and of the future. So Please for example, is about the Ireland bombing but it also was eeriely accurate about furture events. That's just how the prophetic works.

I think calling Please prophetic is a huge stretch

when describing a bombing that has happened you are sure to describe the similar effects of any future bombing
that's about as prophetic as describing a sunrise and marvel at the fact when a future sunrise looks about the same

Ok, so basically a prophet is one who speaks forth God's word right? Well there's two things to note about prophets (and I'm explaining the terms in Jewis/Christian backgrounds). First, when you read the prophetic books in the Bible, for example, it is not merely God's word as the prophet saw it but God's word as God wished the prophet to present it. THE PROPHET'S MESSAGE IS UNORIGINAL....the prophets in the Bible were inspired by God to present THIER generation the essential content of God's word. Therefore, when reading the prophet's words, what we read is not new in concept but a new wording--in each prophet's style and vocabulary. Gaining people's attention may involve rephrasing and restructering something they have already heard many times so that is has a kind of newness. Bono expresses many lyrics about the nature of truth, love and God....nothing new but written in such a way that it has a very strong impact on listeners. I think everyone can identify with several songs that just seem to whack you over the head with meaning and explaining something in a new light.
(And honestly, in this day and age....being a rock star is one of the best ways to get a message to many many people. Many prophets of the past were poets also! So perhaps this way speaks to THIS generation...follow?)

Now for prophetic vision...I hope I explain this well without being able to draw a diagram that I have in my head. The Bible prophets see God's acts in temporal history in light of his overall plan for human history. Thus, the temporal is to be seen in light of the future. It is something like looking at two discs, with a smaller one in front of a larger, straight on; then from the perspective of subsequent history to see those discs from the side view and one can actually see a distance between them. When looking straight at them the distance between cannot be seen---such is prophetic vision, it speaks of immediate and future in most cases. Bono's lyrics and songs usually have a specific story or feeling he is/was responding to at the time of writing them....but often you can see in due time that the same song can give you chills about something else that seems to fit perfectly.

I believe Bono fits all I was talking about above. I hope this made a little more sense....

Last edited:
you've made a complete and exhaustive explanation, even though i knew what prophets are, or better were.........bono is a very deep songwriter, who has very big feelings and great perspicacity, but i don't consider him as a prophet at all, the word prophet is a bit too high, how you say prophets had to do with god personnally, god talked to them....but now it happens no more. .....ok, i better stop, otherwise i'd go too long in a long speech ;) thanx for your availability! :wink:

Speaking of prophets, I recall reading somewhere on the net (sorry, can't recall source) that the band doctored the photo on the cover of ATYCLB.

They allegedly changed the gate departure sign on the left side of the picture to "J.33.3", as a reference to Jeremiah, 33.3. The verse is, "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not".

I find this interesting in the context of 9/11 because of the airport motif, since airplanes became terror weapons on 9/11, and you see on the other side of the photo what appears to be a mother holding the hand of a child as they head in the direction of the J.33.3 gate.

I'm no theologian but Jeremiah is an intersting selection to quote from, it's both political and spiritual in nature.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. To say "Please" is foretelling of 9/11, is to also say "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is foretelling of 9/11. Both songs deal with violence and the morals associated with pain and suffering in non-specific ways. While every U2 fan knows "Please" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" have their roots in Irish national politics, the songs are not fixated to this subject. They are objective rather than subjective, avoiding a direct identification of their cause and motive. As a result of their vagueness, the songs can be applied to any event or idea that seems similar to each song's message. “Please” can be understood to embody the possible corruption that exists in every government official and the need to have politicians overlook personal greed and incentive for the values of their constituents. Aside from representing the conflicts existing in Northern Ireland between the government and the IRA, the needless violence illustrated in “Sunday Bloody Sunday” can also represent that tensions that occasionally manifest themselves through violence between English and French Canadians, or North and South Koreans. The only cemented aspect of either song is their usage of Christian beliefs, still making the songs directly available to many people. However, the Christian beliefs in both songs are secondary to their meaning and can easily be replaced for the beliefs of another religion. Unlike the music of Bruce Springsteen, which is so closely associated with Americana it cannot be separated, U2 show much flexibility in their music’s relativism. The central ideals in U2’s music are hope and determination, epitomized best in All That You Can't Leave Behind, which parallel the themes of most major religions.

Personally, I like to consider U2 citizens of the world and not Irish rock stars. With some exceptions, the universality of U2’s work make the band relevant and significant in all cultures throughout the world.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom