at the end of Zoopropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
what is that sound at the end of the wanderer?
it sounds like an air raid siren.
i think i've heard that it is the sound deejay's hear if the are on air and nothing is being played. like dead air.
anyone else know for sure?

A few people said this in the EYKIW forum, I can't remember if anyone said for sure what the noise was though, lol.
Annoying sound isn't it?
:lol:

I read somewhere that the siren is the same siren that a dj hears when there is 10 seconds of radio silence, so i think if we've both heard the same thing, we're probabaly both right.

I don't need to be dozing off for it to scare the hell out of me!

hippy said:

Yep :up: That's it... except it's after one minute, not 10 seconds :)

I believe it actually used to be 30 seconds, although it may be 10 now, here in the U.S.

Apparently it's what all stations fear, as for every second that they are transmitting 'dead air', they are losing listeners, and money. With today's AUTO SCAN radios, a few short seconds of dead air, will skip a live station when programming active stations on one's radio.

I have also heard that the alarm/siren is:
(a) an attempt to wake up the DJ
(b) required by the FCC, dead air is a violation of their radio license - this has something to do with emergency situations

It is not:
(a) the nuclear attack siren (which is what many people thought it was when Zooropa came out)

steak said:
Wish there was a way i could chop it off the end....

just get a free .wav file (or .mp3 file) program from the internet, and you can do this... at least for your comp, if not for burning to personal-use CD...

much love

goat

}:)~

Back
Top Bottom