Another Time, Another Place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
What exactly is Bono singing at the end of "Another Time, Another Place"? Does anyone know? I have "U2: The Complete Songs" and it doesn't say in there. It can't just be jibberish. It sounds like German to me...

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

It is German. But I don't know German, so I can't help you there. He does sound angry though....

------------------
"Just tell 'em what they wanna hear & nobody will complain."

Originally posted by Lilly:
It is German. But I don't know German, so I can't help you there. He does sound angry though....

My roommate is actually a German minor. I COULD ask her, but I don't think she's fluent or anything.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by wertsie:
My roommate is actually a German minor. I COULD ask her, but I don't think she's fluent or anything.

hmmm.....it's pretty hard to understand, so I dunno....I know I've seen the translation somewhere....maybe sula would know. She's way smart like that.

------------------
"Why do you have to be such a smart ass?" -my mom

I looked to see what the lyric archive here said:

We lie...
Another time, another place
We lie...
Another child has lost...

[Gaelic words. If you can translate, Mail me!]

We lie...
Another time, another place
We lie...
Your time, your place

I know a bit of Gaelic....that doesn't sound Gaelic, but maybe it is....so maybe I've led you in the wrong direction altogether....tho I swear I saw it was German....ask sula. Yea, just ask sula.

------------------
"Why do you have to be such a smart ass?" -my mom

I know some German, and I don't think it's German, though it imitates Germanic sounds.

On this track, if it were specific words in a specific foreign language, you would think those words would be performed more or less the same way in live shows, which (if you listen to early bootlegs) they are not.

I would bet almost any amount of money that this, and most similar "mystery moments," are just yer man singing whatever comes out of his mouth. "Bongolese," isn't that what some people call it?

mebythesea said:
I know some German, and I don't think it's German, though it imitates Germanic sounds.
same here.

also, i agree that it's probably just bongolese. i have a demo of the song and it sounds like he's going :tongue: ... meaning just like singing or whatever with his tongue hanging out. :laugh: pure gibberish.

hippyactress said:
I guess only Bono knows what he says there!

Or not! I mean, I remember reading an interview in which he was asked what language the non-English verse in "Elvis Presley and America" was, and he just said, "I don't know. It sounds like Apache."

Okay, still no real answer....*sigh* ;)

I'm also German and I have a couple of bootlegs of gigs in which they peformed Another Time - and Bono changed the words every time and it isn't really German.....

Maybe it is bongolese.... :D

FallingStar said:
I'm also German and I have a couple of bootlegs of gigs in which they peformed Another Time - and Bono changed the words every time and it isn't really German.....
i don't even think bono speaks german. if he does know another language, my guess it would be gaelic. (i would've also guessed latin, but i remember reading about when he was working on gloria, he asked a friend about the in te domin part.)

KhanadaRhodes said:

i don't even think bono speaks german. if he does know another language, my guess it would be gaelic. (i would've also guessed latin, but i remember reading about when he was working on gloria, he asked a friend about the in te domin part.)
He really asked a friend about the In the domine part? :ohmy:

Erhm, I also don't think that he could speak really German back then since it isn't or hasn't been such a popular language when he was in school I guess and still hardly anybody learns German, so..... :rolleyes:

But I want to *%?&)/%* know why he came up with the idea of just mumbling words without real sense! :rant: *is exhausted of thinking about the question for months in a row*

FallingStar said:

But I want to *%?&)/%* know why he came up with the idea of just mumbling words without real sense! :rant: *is exhausted of thinking about the question for months in a row*

I know Niall Stokes' "into the heart" isn't the be-all and end-all of interpretation, but this paragraph of his seems like it might be relevant to me:

"At the height of his involvement with Charismatic Christianity, Bono had been experimenting with the experience of speaking in tongues within the Shalom group. The feeling is that some other force takes over, that the rational checks we normally impose are abandoned, that your voice disappears into another voice and that some external power is speaking through you. Bono would search for that higher state, improvising lyrics on the microphone, allowing the words, the feeling - at its best the ecstasy - to take hold."

mebythesea said:

I know Niall Stokes' "into the heart" isn't the be-all and end-all of interpretation, but this paragraph of his seems like it might be relevant to me:

"At the height of his involvement with Charismatic Christianity, Bono had been experimenting with the experience of speaking in tongues within the Shalom group. The feeling is that some other force takes over, that the rational checks we normally impose are abandoned, that your voice disappears into another voice and that some external power is speaking through you. Bono would search for that higher state, improvising lyrics on the microphone, allowing the words, the feeling - at its best the ecstasy - to take hold."
:der: That makes really a lot of sense......

Back
Top Bottom