Angel in Devils Shoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lizzie

Babyface
Hi folks

I know that Angel of Harlem was written with Billie Holliday in mind, but what does Angel in Devils Shoes mean to you? What is your interpretation of that line?

I'm interested in knowing cos i'm thinking of having it tattooed under a design i have in mind, for a little birthday present for myself, so i'm interested in what people think.

Don't want to have it done then realise i've made a major balls up :doh:

For the sake of whether or not to get a tattoo, the biggest issue is what it means to YOU. If you love it and have your own interpretation, don't let how another person views the line to stop you.

Anyway...now that I've said that...

I just see it simply as a good girl who gets into trouble sometimes...gets a little mischievous. I don't have a major interpretation, and maybe there's a little reference or detail I'm missing. I hadn't really thought about it much before.

I think in regards to the song it just refers to the fact that Billie Holliday had some demons in her life.

The line in general can mean many things; can be a angelic like person who maybe flirts with danger, or maybe just the fact that as humans we are capable of both extremes...

Thanks for your thoughts...I thought the same as you both...a good girl who occassionally gets into trouble...which sums me up pretty well really :wink:

I'm going to ask a friend to draw out the design for me so I can see the full effect, ready to get it done for my birthday

I think I'd go on a slightly different track and say that to me it's not about a good girl who flirts with the dark side/danger, but that devil's shoes are meant to symbolize a kind of ill-fated path that's inescapable, once the shoes are on. So he's saying Billie Holiday was an angel in character who couldn't avoid being drawn down this terrible painful path (from her early childhood to death). Unavoidable, snowballing shitty life = different than flirting or occasionally fucking up because you're a tad impulsive.

Back
Top Bottom