An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partygirl43

Refugee
Ok...I know that An Cat Duh is supposed to be about a relationship Bono had when he was "on a break" from Ali...but why is it paired with "Into the Heart" and not a seperate track on the Boy CD?

The only thing I can come up with is that ACD is a much more "darker" song lyrically and musically--while ITH is much "lighter".

Can anyone help me out here????

Here's an answer from "Into The Heart" by Niall Stokes:
"The segue from 'An Cat Dubh' into 'Into the Heart' had more to do with the exigencies of performance than with theme. The sequence worked on stage, and therefore it made sense to do it that way on record. It remains a piece of shimmering, quiet beauty..."

tekkk said:
Here's an answer from "Into The Heart" by Niall Stokes:
"The segue from 'An Cat Dubh' into 'Into the Heart' had more to do with the exigencies of performance than with theme. The sequence worked on stage, and therefore it made sense to do it that way on record. It remains a piece of shimmering, quiet beauty..."

Yeah, check Chicago DVD for evidence of that. Would have prefered 'she cat' instead of 'shhh' and proper lyrics/vocals to Into the Heart but the instrumental performance was very very good. Edge and Adam shake hands at the end it's good as.

partygirl43 said:
Ok...I know that An Cat Duh is supposed to be about a relationship Bono had when he was "on a break" from Ali...

can you tell me that story please?:bow: :wave:

Re: Re: An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart Question

linny82 said:

can you tell me that story please?:bow: :wave:

That's pretty much the whole story. Here's a quote from Into the Heart :

When U2 formed in Mount Temple Comprehensive School on the north side of Dublin, Bono had already started the relationship with Ali Stewart that would result in marriage. But the path of true love didn't always run smoothly. They split for a short time and Bono - as ever, restless and hungry for experience - had a short fling with another schoolmate.
"That one's about sex, definitely about sex," Gavin Friday says, without the slightest hesitation...."Where sex was concerned, Bono was very precocious as a teenager. He was a lot more knowledgeable than the rest of us in Lypton Village."
"It's definitely about sex, that," Bono agrees. "I think the title is in Irish because the girl it was about was a sort of 'as Gaelige' type of person. What happened was that Ali and myself had split up for a minute and I just ran off with somebody and felt guilty about it."

There's about a page more, but you get the gist, I'm sure. (And I don't have time to type the rest.)

Back
Top Bottom