a possible interp of "mole" in elevation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popsadie

Acrobat
hey...personally Elevation is one of my faves on ATYCLB..it reminds me of mysterious ways in the way sexual and spiritual imagry are wedded...while on another u2 discussion site I came across a possible meaning of Bono's use of "mole" in Elevation..
((Something to think about: I came across a postcard that I bought when I saw the Book of
Kells in Dublin and on the card is an elaborate design of the letter "P" (I think it was the first letter of the first word on one of the pages)and kind of hidden inside the design is a tiny black mole! I asked the tour guide at the time: what is the signifigance of the mole?
She said that often the mole is used to represent Jesus and in this case, it definitely does. Now what I wonder is: Does the mole represent Jesus in "Elevation"? Because a 'mole' is such a strange reference especially in a rock song...did Bono do that on purpose(he's certainly brilliant enough to do that)? I just thought this was interesting...what do y'all think? ))

There was an earlier discussion on the use of I and I in the sky possibly referring to I and yahweh..aka "I am" and the reference about a "mole digging in a hole, digging up his soul" would make sense with this discovery......what do you guys and gals make of this??

I didn't know that Jesus could be represented as a mole, but it makes sense. Impressive discovery, Popsadie...

Is there a book out there that sort of gives interpretations to U2's lyrics?

Originally posted by U2Bama:
I thought it had something to do with the TV show.

Is Anderson Cooper the most boring person on Earth? He has my vote.

------------------
Change is the only constant

My take on "a mole digging out my soul" is that something is going deep inside you to discover your true inner self. It could very well be Jesus, because he searches our souls and reveals both our sins and our love. It is his spirit that I often feel when listening to a U2 song. The result of this "excavation" is a feeling of freeing and elevation!

Hey U2@NYC,

Check out "Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every U2 Song" by Niall Stokes. Its that analyzes every U2 song through AB, I think.

Amazon.com sells it.

Where in NYC are you?

CK

thanks, The U2, I will sure try to find that book.

Where in NYC??? I live in Midtown and work in downtown Manhattan...

CK stands for Calvin Klein ???
smile.gif

I diagree a little with the "I and I" interpretation. See, for me, it could also be a way of filling up the verse and make the lyrics match the music... Too simplistic? Maybe, but sometimes musicians resource to things like this one.

Back
Top Bottom