11 O'Clock Tick Tock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
I've found a few different versions of the lyrics to this song online (and for whatever reason, U2.com doesn't have them ... not that they'd be right :wink: ).

I know the verses will be easy to double-check against the recording to make sure I have them right, but the chorus confuses me a bit.

The version I found online says "sad song, sad song," but another version had "say so, say so."

Now, I'm pretty sure that second one isn't right, but I'm not 100% sure "sad song, sad song" is right, either. I always thought Bono was singing "Same so sad song" or something to that effect on the Red Rocks video.

Help?

I just listened to three different versions - one from Elevation, one from Unforgettable Fire and one from Boy tours. I hear "Same song, sad song", "say so, sad song" and "oooo, ooo, Oooooo ooooo" in one of them.

This does not help.

I always thought it was "say so, sad song". But I haven't heard much older versions, this would be Elevation or JT.

When I listen, I hear 'say some sad song' (the Under A blood Red Sky version). There are probably multiple lyrics for the chorus I guess?

I'll just make something up, and if all else fails, sing "oooooo oooo ooooo oooooo!"

Thanks. Glad I'm not alone on this one. :lol:

I think originally and in early live concerts like Red Rocks for instance, he was saying

"same sad sad song...saaaame saad saad sonnnnng...unnnnh!"

Of course, the versions in recent years could be just about anything, given his special ability to mix up lyrics :wink:

I just caught something: you going to be singing this song? I think I'd like to hear you! :yes: :up: :up:

We have a musicians' network kind of thing at work, as we have lots of employees who are in bands or have musical capabilities, and we do concerts a few times a year.

I've done stuff in the past with a handful of people, but one of my friends (a bass player who I've sung with) decided he wanted to do a set of early U2 stuff, specifically stuff from the Red Rocks show.

I blew his mind when I told him the old VHS tape concert wasn't the full show. :lol:

I hope it comes together - the concert will either be in late February or March, I think. I'm so excited!

ooh I was just wondering recently how your Red Rocks show plan was coming along. Glad to hear it's still in the works and hope we do get to see/hear a peek of it at least. :hmm:

As far as the lyrics go I also agree with the "same sad song" versions. That makes the most sense to me too. :)

I listened yesterday, and could easily see it actually being "sad song, sad song." I'll probably just do it that way.

gvox - I like Surrender as an opener, and maybe that'll work, because I don't know if Out of Control will make the cut

We have these on the 'short list,' but we may have to whittle it down due to time constraints. We'll see which ones come together or not. NYD might not make it just because I don't know that we'll want to deal with a keyboard for just one song (and I'd be the one playing it):

I Will Follow
Out of Control
Electric Co
Seconds
NYD
Two Hearts
Surrender
11 O'Clock

All four of us had our "musts," and the only one that got shut down right away was Sunday Bloody Sunday, because the guitar player and I were all "Ehhhhh, too obvious." :lol:

I listened yesterday, and could easily see it actually being "sad song, sad song." I'll probably just do it that way.

gvox - I like Surrender as an opener, and maybe that'll work, because I don't know if Out of Control will make the cut

We have these on the 'short list,' but we may have to whittle it down due to time constraints. We'll see which ones come together or not. NYD might not make it just because I don't know that we'll want to deal with a keyboard for just one song (and I'd be the one playing it):

I Will Follow
Out of Control
Electric Co
Seconds
NYD
Two Hearts
Surrender
11 O'Clock

All four of us had our "musts," and the only one that got shut down right away was Sunday Bloody Sunday, because the guitar player and I were all "Ehhhhh, too obvious." :lol:

Oddly enough, the way you listed those songs works fairly well also (with a couple swaps maybe)! The opening of I Will Follow is unmistakeable and playing it right out of the gate screams "hello, we're going to play U2 songs now for a bit" ;)

Oh, we haven't gotten that far yet. We won't even start rehearsing until another week or so - there's not even any semblance of song order yet. That was just the order in which I had the lyrics printed out. :)

Back
Top Bottom