Who is Delmore Schwartz?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
He's mentioned in the linder notes on Acrobat, and most recently, I was reading a review of Lou Reed's Raven, and in it the thought "in dreams begin responsibilities" thought was mentioned.

Is he a writer/philosopher? What is his influence on Acrobat?

I had never heard of him before reading this thread, but with a web search I found this:

"With the appearance in 1938 of his first book, In Dreams Begin Responsibilities, twenty-four-year-old Delmore Schwartz was immediately recognized as a genuinely innovative force in American letters, drawing praise from T. S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, Allen Tate, John Crowe Ransom, Wallace Stevens, and William Carlos Williams; for Tate, it was "the only genuine innovation we've had since Eliot and Pound." A decade later his book of short stories, The World Is A Wedding, was characterized by many critics as the definitive portrait of their generation. Yet Schwartz's early promise was followed by a tragic decline and finally death in a midtown Manhattan hotel at the age of fifty-two."

Also his books, including In Dreams Begin Responsibilities are listed at Amazon.com.

Back
Top Bottom