U2 Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
just bought a copy of "U2 At The End Of The World" - wanted to buy it for ages thanks to the rave reviews on here.
If anyone else has been meaning to get a copy, there are hardbacks going on ebay for as little as 99p, after postage mine came to less than £3 don't know why I didn't look sooner! :lol:

but anyway that should arrive tomorrow but in the meantime, are there any U2 books people here have read and would recommend to others, and why?

It's much maligned but The Unforgettable Fire by Eamonn Dunphy is a great read, especially good regarding the band's (and Paul McG) infant/adolescent days, capturing the mood of Dublin at the time.

Other than that U2 by U2 is of course a good one, also the one by Niall Stokes, Into The Heart which outlines the story behind every U2 song.

Another good one is ,U2 Faraway So Close by BP Fallon, which focuses on the ZOO Tv era.

U2 ATEOTW is the best book about U2 ever. In fact, I think it's one of the best books ever, period. I got the hardcover book out from the library when it was first published and kept renewing for about a year. I haven't read it since then so I may have to invest in a copy.

I need to buy my own. Mr Jeeves thought I was crazy when I was reading it 'cause I kept laughing out loud. Plus, you know, it was a real problem to stop for things like meals.

U2 ATEOTW is brilliant. I love insights into the creative process and the making of Zooropa is really interesting. Eno is like some mad uncle they just bounce ideas off.

A great read. Really funny in places.

I actually found the Dunphy book at a library book sale for 50c about 4 years ago. Read it once and then shelved it. I've read ATEOTW countless times thanks to various library checkouts, but dont actually own a copy. :reject: I really should look into an ebay purchase of the hardcover.

I also need a paperback version of U2 by U2; Mr CK bought the large hardcover when it was first published but that thing is a b**** to lug around or use for references. :doh:

The only U2 book that I've read is U2 by U2. It's also probably the only book that I have read from start to finish, many times, in my (young) lifetime. :lol:

i've lost my copy of U2 by U2, I read a couple of sizeable chunks of it when I bought it. thought I'd put it in a box of books before moving out and it just disappeared forever once I moved into my old flat, gutted really..

as for U2ATEOTW i love this book so far, it's very funny in places and the zoo tv era is probably my favourite of U2's, so parts about them in the studio working on zooropa and stuff was always going to grab me.

However, I DO have to agree with someone who posted ages ago in another thread who said that sometimes the guy's writing style can be a bit pandering and that every last last late night chat over a drink is profound and sooo interesting.
This is no doubt a very rare thing with U2 letting someone this close to write a book like this (can you imagine them letting him write this book in 2014?!) but I thought with the length of time he's known them he wouldn't be so simpering in the way he talks about them sometimes. Not saying he's a kiss-ass but still.

it's a really great book though and I love it, but someone PLEASE tell me this is written with Flanagan's tongue firmly in cheek?

Bono pauses to let the dowsing pole of my understanding touch the bottom of the deep pool of his insight.

I've seen some quite a few writers gild the lily in the past but nothing has made me cringe quite like that. He HAS to be taking the piss!

anyway, great book would recommend it to anyone and I'm only 160 pages in. :up:

He is taking the piss. If I recall correctly, it's late and they're both quite drunk in this scene.

It's lines this that make Flanagan such a fun writer--he's talking the piss on multiple levels at once--Bono's self importance, earnestness and very real intelligence and desire to communicate, Flanagan's own fannishness and the way his project condemns him to run after Bono to every bar in the city every night to hang on his every word (and how he loves it), the futile, deep-seeming silliness of trying to talk seriously drunk talks late at night and the slow, obvious workings of the pickled mind all get a humorous treatment in just a few words.

haha well thank god for that, I did worry a bit :wink: i'm sure by the end of the book i'll be used to stuff like that

Just to pile on the praise for U2ATEOTW, yes, it's by far the best book on U2 ever, period. This is inarguable and non-debatable.

It is absolutely required reading for any serious U2 fan. Blew my mind when I read it.

Eamon Dunphy's book, however, I found to be a profound disappointment. He managed to take a pretty interesting story about an interesting, creative group of individuals who would form the biggest rock band of all time and make it as boring as a dog's ass.

Eamon Dunphy's book, however, I found to be a profound disappointment. He managed to take a pretty interesting story about an interesting, creative group of individuals who would form the biggest rock band of all time and make it as boring as a dog's ass.

:laugh:

I couldn't get through some of those chapters in Dunphy's book... like Bono's story, for instance. It was quite dragging. :crack:

As it is I'm a somewhat slow reader. If the book doesn't keep my interest I find it extremely difficult to finish it.

Haven't read any other U2 books but tempted to give U2ATEOTW a chance, seeing the huge amount of praise it gets here on a regular basis.

In my recent "getting back into U2" craze, I probably went to every used bookstore in Saint Louis (where I live now) and bought all the U2 books I could find :D I FINALLY got my hands on a copy of U2 by U2. But I also picked up a weird Rolling Stones Files of interviews, and a book called "Road to Pop" ...anyone have an opinion on this one?

Also, I dug out my copy of the BP Fallon "U2 Faraway So Close". I'd recommend this one too, if you really like the AB era. His style of writing is, well, unique. And if you like the early years, try "The Early Years" which has a lot of funny info :D

Funny enough, I lost my copy of U2ATEOTW. But, Musikwala, it's definitely one of the best books out there, especially if you like more stories instead of rote "Here's where they were in 1987. Then in 1988, they went here, etc."

But I'm most interested to learn what people think about "North Side Story"...?

I purchased the Dunphy book back in '88 and I still have not read it cover to cover. It's a bit dull. I do love U2ATEOTW. It is a must read for any fan. Excellent insight into the Zoo tour. And as others have mentioned, Faraway So Close is awesome. Love the photos and Beep's anecdotes.

Matt McGee's Book-U2 A Diary is an awesome reference book as it chronicles the band's history almost on a daily basis. Good stories in this one, as well.

I'm rereading U2 by U2 (finally got that paperback copy woohoo) and good LORD, I had forgotten how funny some of the scenes are. :lol:

I've also picked up a copy of The Stories Behind The Songs from the library, going to give that a read as well. Might as well given that album news is slow-drip as usual. :crack:

question about 2 books on Amazon....
Exploring U2: Is this Rock and Roll? .......and U2 Above, Across, and Beyond......both have Scott Calhoun as editor and appear to be essays on U2. I'm wonderi if anyone can confirm whether they are Different editions/update of the same book or not?

Back
Top Bottom