u2 bio's in book form

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay everybody knocks it but I'm going to say

U2 the Unforgettable Fire by Eamon Dunphy because it tells the story of the formation of the band up through JT and some background too. I have heard people say the band didn't like it, but I have never seen any evidence of this other than hearsay. I have a pic of Bono being very friendly with Dunphy in 2002, I don't think he hates him. Every single detail in the book may not be exactly right, but I don't believe it's anything major or libelous or surely they'd have sued or had the book taken off the market and off libarary shelves by now. Give it a try, it's very interesting.

Most people always hawk U2@TEOTW by Bill Flanagan. II'm sure you'll get 85 responses here telling you it's the greatest thing out there. I don't think so. It's a good book, and interesting if you like the band, but it only covers one era so I don't see how it can be the U2 "bible" as people love to call it. If you want to read about the debauchery of the ZOOTV tour that's your book, that's about all it is. There's a little background, but not a biography.

There are a few others, Bono in his own words, Bono biography by Laura Jackson, a few U2 related things too. Then there's that book by Lola Cashman that the band did try to have stopped when it came out last year. I forget the name.

I'm still waiting for an authorized biography of their entire story!

Last edited:
I have nothing against the Flanagan book, it's very good. But I think someone who wants to read about the band's history should start from the beginning. Hey, read ALL the books and make up your own mind. :) If you ever get a chance to see VH-1 Legends, watch that, though even it needs to be updated now!

I actually agree with you, U2kitten. Flanagan's book is the best as far as writing style, humor, and behind the scenes fun that goes on during the Zoo tour, but it just doesn't have the history that "Unforgettable Fire" does. It really all depends on what you are looking for.

"U2 Faraway, So Close" by BP Fallon is great for pictures, plus it also has some fun info from the Zoo tour along with it.

"Race of Angels" by John Waters is a good one about U2's music in relation to Irish music and culture in general. It's very good and interesting, if you can find it, and if it's something you might be in to. I don't know about the rest of the world, but I had a hard time getting my hands on a decently priced copy in the U.S.

And also, "U2 The Early Days: Another Time and Another Place" by Bill Gramham has some good info, but it's another that can be hard to come by, and it was published in 1989 and covers only the bands early career, but it has some great photos.

Last edited:
ylimeU2 said:

And also, "U2 The Early Days: Another Time and Another Place" by Bill Gramham has some good info, but it's another that can be hard to come by, and it was published in 1989 and covers only the bands early career, but it has some great photos.

This can be found on Ebay pretty often. Another great book is "The Road to Pop" by Carter Alan. It's the American history of U2.

I have to say I think they disliked UF because it had too much of their personal history and much was wrong, per interviews by Hot Press after it came out.

UTEOTW is still my favorite because you get much personality than many other books. It makes them seem more human.
Plus I love a little debauchery now and then. :wink:

I hope you like them Isabelle!

Thanks ylimeU2, you listed some I had never heard of! I'm going to have to look for those!

I found four used copies of UF at a used bookstore near me for like $4 a pop. If anyone would like me to help them out it would be my pleasure.

I just started reading the Bono bio by Laura Jackson myself.... :up:

starsgoblue said:

I just started reading the Bono bio by Laura Jackson myself.... :up:

I was so disappointed with that book. It was hard to believe that someone could write such a boring book about someone who is so fascinating. It reads like a dull Grade 10 textbook. I would love to hear what you thought of it, once you have finished it. Please report back.

Biff, yeah I'm not liking it so much. I lost the reciept so I can't return it so I'm finishing this puppy. It is true though, Bono would be an excellent person to write a bio about and Ms. Jackson makes it soooo BASIC!

Back
Top Bottom