u2 at the end of the world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philly80

War Child
this is going to sound very strange but - in my copy of "u2 at the end of the world" there is no mention of Edge's mushroom experience? can anyone tell me which chapter this was in? ive read the book twice and cant find it - am i mad?

Pg 329

39. Under My Skin
the walking tour enters its third day/ how edge lost the secret of the universe/ bono dubs a sinatra duet/ the old fool controversy/ secondhand smokers/ a pub crawl with gavin/ michael jackson loses face

You know, just because I have to hang on Bono's coattail through every gin mill, juke joint, pool hall, and pub in Dublin doesn't mean I have to drag you along with me. Let's skip ahead twenty-four hours, to Thursday of the week of the Dublin concerts. You haven't missed anything. Bono's still coming up with excuses not to go home, he's still in the same clothes he's had on since he got offstage in Cork on Tuesday. We're both still awake and engaged in one of the greatest walking talkathons since Johnson jabbered to Boswell.

"Do you know the story of how Edge lost the Secret of the Uni­verse?" Bono asks. Oh boy, a Hibernian folktale! "No, Bono, tell me."

"It started when Edge got a jar of psychedelic mushrooms," Bono begins, as wise as Uncle Remus. The legend, in summary, goes like this: Being very scientific, Edge decided that if he was going to sample any psychedelic mushrooms at all, he might as well eat the whole jar. Apparently those were potent fungi. Edge's eyes spun around and his hat flew off his head. He figured he'd better not take a chance on any impressionable members of the U2 Fan Club seeing him like this, so he went upstairs and got into his bed. He lay there for a while and then imagined he heard his wife calling him. He went to the door. No one was there. He went back to bed. And then, amid kaleidoscopes of spinning dimensions like an old Dr. Strange comic, Edge was given the Secret of the Universe.

:confused:

That part (the mushroom experience) isn't in my copy of At The End Of The World! I've read the book so many times, I know it inside-out. So I was already confused when the question came up (as it isn't in the book). But now it seems there are different versions of the book.
I looked up the chapter in my book and this is what it says:

36. Under My Skin
the walking tour enters its third day/ bono dubs a sinatra duet/ the old fool controversy/ secondhand smokers/ a pub crawl with gavin/ michael jackson loses face

So it seems I'm not only missing a few chapters, but also things inside the chapters. What's going on??? :scratch:

FYI, this is the info of my book:
ISBN: 0 553 40886 2
Published in Great Britain by Bantam (1996)

The book has 56 chapters.
Here's a picture of the cover:
41K3Z3D2S2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

So, basically I want to know: are there different versions of this book?

Popmartijn said:
:confused:

That part (the mushroom experience) isn't in my copy of At The End Of The World! I've read the book so many times, I know it inside-out. So I was already confused when the question came up (as it isn't in the book). But now it seems there are different versions of the book.
I looked up the chapter in my book and this is what it says:

36. Under My Skin
the walking tour enters its third day/ bono dubs a sinatra duet/ the old fool controversy/ secondhand smokers/ a pub crawl with gavin/ michael jackson loses face

So it seems I'm not only missing a few chapters, but also things inside the chapters. What's going on??? :scratch:

FYI, this is the info of my book:
ISBN: 0 553 40886 2
Published in Great Britain by Bantam (1996)

The book has 56 chapters.
Here's a picture of the cover:
41K3Z3D2S2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

So, basically I want to know: are there different versions of this book?

Did you buy it used or new? Also there may be differences between versions for different countries. Is it paperback or hardback? Mine is a paperback US printing by Dell Publishing. It has 60 chapters and is 536 pages. The spine is orange and the front just has a really big U2 on it. ISBN #0-385-31157-5.

Looks like the UK version was different.

Dana

rihannsu said:

Did you buy it used or new? Also there may be differences between versions for different countries. Is it paperback or hardback? Mine is a paperback US printing by Dell Publishing. It has 60 chapters and is 536 pages. The spine is orange and the front just has a really big U2 on it. ISBN #0-385-31157-5.

Looks like the UK version was different.

Dana

I have that one as well. Including the mushroom part.

thats interesting - mine is a uk copy i had to get on ebay cause you cant get it in Australia!
can anyone verify that the US copy is longer?

I have the US version. I bought it in Barnes and Noble about 8 years ago and mine is 60 chapters and about 525 pages(that is not including the index) and it mentions Edge's mushroom experience.

I have the US version. I bought it in Barnes and Noble about 8 years ago and mine is 60 chapters and about 525 pages(that is not including the index) and it mentions Edge's mushroom experience.

Coincidentally, I have the book lying in front of me. It's a UK paperback version and has 56 chapters and about 480 pages. I'm missing some stuff, apparently. :sad:

It is a good book to take to the beach and read. I may take it to Dublin and read it on the plane.

re-reading this book now. Absolutely love it. Great insight into arguably the most interesting part of U2's career, and parts of it are just hilarious.

I can't find my copy....

:down:

I have two for some reason. Feel free to come over and grab one or both. I don't get the big deal about it, also I think it's a huge contributor to the constant mythologising of the Zoo era by fans, like, you know I'm one of the silly road warriors here that is kind of a jerk about that sort of thing so yeah. If a similar book was written during any other era, people would be harking back to how krazy and kool U2 were back then too/instead.

Basically all I got out of it was the comparing of Bono's falsetto to Margaret Dumont swallowing a trumpet, a line that's well worth cherishing.

Just finished this, the boat stealing chapte is great:lol:

great book , wich gives insight in the good the bad and the ugly times of their rock and roll life style's

Mine has it. Chapter 39, page 329.

My copy is different than the one that is shown above. It has a white cover. U is at the top with the 2 over lapping the bottom of the U. The smaller version pic, inserted there.

Mine has it. Chapter 39, page 329.

My copy is different than the one that is shown above. It has a white cover. U is at the top with the 2 over lapping the bottom of the U. The smaller version pic, inserted there.

Same here.

I just finished reading it for the second time (it had been eight years! :ohmy: ). I have the US version from Amazon.com and it has 60 chapters. Is the UK version censored or something? It's odd that there would be so much left out. Someone should do a comparison to see what exactly is different. UK readers might be missing out on some really good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom