Time for a new thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
all these shakings makes me dizzy

I know the secret of the universe.

No, I won't tell any of you.

Last edited:
Steve Waugh determined to get back in one-day team
Kamil Zaheer - 22 July 2002

Australian Test captain Steve Waugh is determined to get back into the one-day team for next year's World Cup in South Africa.

Waugh and his twin brother Mark's chances of playing in the tournament suffered a severe knock last week when they were left out of two international squads.

"I still have ambitions to play for Australia in one-day internationals," Steve Waugh told reporters in the eastern city of Kolkata, where he is involved in charity work.

"I want to give myself every opportunity to try to get back into the side."

The Waughs, now 37, were omitted from a 14-man squad to play a triangular limited-overs series against Pakistan in Kenya next month followed by the ICC Champions Trophy in Sri Lanka from September 12-29.

They also missed out on selection for an 'A' tour of South Africa involving seven one-dayers against South Africa 'A' from September 4.

But Steve Waugh said he was prepared to fight for his place.

"All I can do is to make sure that I am playing properly and ready for the first game of the season and play for New South Wales," Waugh said.

"The selectors have picked quite a lot of young guys for the 'A' side. They mentioned to me they know what Mark and I can do and want to have a look at some other players. That is not a negative thing."

india kicked into oblivion at lords

yeah but the commonwealth games suck and noone cares. It would even be worse than the Olympic football.

Apparently Australia got 1-2-3 in the womens marathon. I wonder if the aussie press reported how many women bothered to enter it!!

Pakistan have threatened an Asia wide boycott of touring Australia if we don't tour there for the tests in October. That is wacked.

hmmm, that doesn't make much sense indeed
are those CW Games already over and done with

who won the hockey??

and why no cricket? :madspit:

women's hockey was won by India
men's by Australia

Comm Games was off cos it clashed with the English domestic season- a test match at Lords in particular.

so, the indian women won the final
I watched the first half of that match
good fun

I don't see why the English domestic season should interfere with my viewing pleasures
the bbc does broadcast the GW games
cricket however :grumpy:

betty and salomey getting hot in a photo booth

we stay
hello
theres a slightly wise decision
hi salomey
i havent been to our lil cricketlovefest of late
after i saw u and betty boy want to romp together with adam
i felt left out and thought i should leave u alone in your cricketlust

*legs it

that's very considerate of you Amanda :)

I might even send you some Adam leftovers

*leg spin

Waugh's words hardly sets record straight
By MALCOLM CONN
August 12, 2002

MARK WAUGH is the latest public figure who has dashed into print suffering a serious bout of amnesia.

Rarely can there have been a more ungrateful or unworldly commentary on a sporting career than the one Waugh and his management have contrived to produce in his latest book Mark Waugh, the biography.

If Waugh has any remorse for his greed and stupidity in the "bookie scandal" and the untold damage it did to Australian cricket, it does not show in the 381 pages.

Waugh is critical of the Australian Cricket Board for a failure to adequately support him, yet the ACB saved the careers of Waugh and Shane Warne with a cover-up in 1995.

When exposed following an investigation by The Australian almost four years later, the bookie scandal drove a stake through the heart of cricket's credibility in this country.

Nowhere in his book does Waugh mention the conclusions of Rob O'Regan QC, who conducted an investigation into the scandal.

"I do not think it is possible to explain their conduct away as the result merely of naivety or stupidity," O'Regan wrote.

"They must have known that it is wrong to accept money from, and supply information to, a bookmaker whom they also knew as someone who bet on cricket. Otherwise they would have reported the incident to team management long before they were found out in February, 1995.

"In behaving as they did they failed lamentably to set the sort of example one might expect from senior players and role models for young cricketers. A more appropriate penalty would, I think, have been suspension for a significant time."

Nor does Waugh acknowledge the support he received from former ACB chief executive Malcolm Speed on a number of important occasions before and after the scandal broke.

Instead of taking responsibility for his own actions, whether it be in relation to the bookie scandal or his inconsistent form, Waugh carps on endlessly about the media.

"I don't think I hate anything more in my career than dealing with the media," Waugh says, which is remarkable.

He has thrown himself at virtually every media outlet in the country over the past fortnight flogging his book and used the opportunity to lobby for a job in the media given that, at 37, his playing career is almost over.

Indeed, Waugh's last cricket assignment was not on the field but in the commentary box during the recent indoor one-day series against Pakistan.

He is also critical of the media over criticism of his form, which has been largely disappointing since Steve Waugh took over the captaincy in March, 1999.

Mark Waugh has been given more Tests than any other player in that time, which is fortunate for him considering he has averaged 35 or less in eight of the 11 series under his brother, including all three last summer.

He has played some great innings. Fine centuries in the West Indies in 1995 and South Africa in 1997 and '98 were pivotal to Australia gaining and maintaining the mantle of best Test nation.

Along with his graceful batting, Waugh may also have been the best slips fieldsman of all time, with a world record 173 catches.

But he has not been a great batsman, as he asserts in the book.

Great batsmen average 50 or close to it. Mark averages 42 and is 30th on the list of Australian batting averages among players with 20 or more Tests -- two positions below the dumped Michael Slater.

The Australian

strange enough I already guessed that writer was from "The Australian" even before I finished the article

I support objectivity over blind worshipping
but this seems to be overdoing it a bit

when you try to portray M. Waugh as being an avarage cricket player then you have truly lost me

did i tell u boys that i was walking thru my local shopping centre to see a group of people lined up at Collins Bookstore.
I walk up to the front and low and behold there was Mark waugh signing copies of his new book.

what a fine specimen of a man he is...
:drool: :heart: :drool:

Am I buggin ya?... I don't mean to bug ya...

*coughJAMESJOYCEcough*

:lol:

It's been a while.

Back
Top Bottom