Salman Rushdie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asha

The Fly
Who's into Salman Rushdie's books?

I started reading them when THE GROUND BENEATH HER FEET came out and by now I read Grimus, The Satanic Verses, East-West and The Ground Beneath Her Feet... At the moment I'm reading Shame...

So.... anyone?

Asha

Hi Asha,

I am reading the Satanic Verses, I have only read the first 100 pages. It is good,it has been good exposure to some Indian culture, for an American, like me. I heard Midnight's Children is good, also. Do you read English or German tranlations?

Usually I read his books in English, the German translations are aweful... Then again I guess it's very difficult to translate puns... I never read Midnight's Children, but I read his newest book, Fury... Forgot to mention that one before...

Anyway... what I love is his knowledge about different cultures, not only Indian, but also British and American. He knows a lot about religions too and weaves them into one big new religion... it's so cool. I get a lot out of his books and still get the feeling of understanding only little...

About the Satanic Verses: Keep on reading, it's a great book!!! Loved it!

There is a book of his essays..Imaginary Homelands I think it's called...it's brilliant

Arun, how is it stylistically?

I didn't like TGBHF - found it to be too slow moving, and reminiscent of Russian turn of the century long novels.

You're right, TGBHF was kinda very slow moving... Regarding this, Fury and Shame are far better!

asha

How was the Satanic Verses? I havent read them yet cos I heard it's best if you read the Koran(sp?) first.

The Satanic Verses are AWESOME! I guess you get a lot more out of the book if you read the Koran (also sp?) first, but as long as you got a basic knowledge of it (i.e. to know that muslims aren't allowed to eat certain kinds of flesh) that should be enough to understand what's going on...!

anitram said:
Arun, how is it stylistically?

its a collection of essays on colonialism and vrious topics...it's quite varied and VERY interesting. .....I HIGHLY reccomend it

Hearing those good words about "the fury", I checked it out from the local library and started reading it a couple of days ago. So far it's a pretty good novel. Great use of language and the implimentation of pop culture, next to the stylistic writing makes for a good read.

Danospano said:
Hearing those good words about "the fury", I checked it out from the local library and started reading it a couple of days ago. So far it's a pretty good novel. Great use of language and the implimentation of pop culture, next to the stylistic writing makes for a good read.

I liked the last chapters best... it get's really cool and interesting then! :up:

I absolutely love Salman Rushdie books. I have almost all except one or two, but one day I will get the rest. :evil: The best way to read a Rushdie book is indeed to read the English version instead of translated ones. The Ground Beneath Her Feet is my favourite book. :heart:

I came on this bit of the forum to see if anyone else had read TGBHF, and it looks like you all have!

I agree, it's a bit slow moving, but I found it really witty (the geese thing had me cracking up), and really moving. Being the kind of person I am, I became entranced by the characters, and I found the book kinda... I don't know... magical (that's the wrong word, but I can't think of a word for what I mean).

I've even been through and highlighted my favourite bits! (sad, I know, but it keeps me happy.)

I'm glad I've found other people who enjoy Salman Rushdie's books... Hardly anyone at my school has heard of him. (I must confess, though, that I only read TGBHF because I'd first heard the song of the same name. Of which, I must say, Bono+co. made a pretty good job.)

*is pleased to have found a home for intellectual part of psyche*

Back
Top Bottom