Propaganda, Summer 2000 Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
Okay, since this forum's designed for discussing books about U2 and books that influence U2, I thought it would also be a good place to discuss U2 related magazines and articles, starting with the latest issue of Propaganda.

So, here we go: does anyone have any comments, criticisms, questions about the latest Propaganda?

(I have a few, but I think I'll wait and see what you guys and gals bring to the table.)

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Hey Bubba, does it count as a criticism to say that the delivery schedule leaves much to be desired?

Ok. I'll shut up. But as soon as it arrives in my mailbox, expect to hear more from me on this thread.
smile.gif

-sulawesigirl

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Yeah, that counts.
smile.gif

But I'm also hoping those who are lucky enough to have gotten the issue have a few opinions, good or bad, about it.

Hopefully, your issue will be there soon.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

hey Bubba and sulawesigirl4,

I have mine and I think its pretty slick looking.
The Edge article is great and it made me really excited about the album.
The websites section was cool, although I tried to check them out and about 5 of them had disappeared!!!!Good to see interference got a good rating!

The pics were all great, especially like the ones in the studio.

The U2 cards were interesting, Ive only ever written one fan letter before and it was to thank them for something they gave me personally, but I never got one!!! SO that was a bit sucky he he

I would have like to have seen more fan stuff. Where did the fan stories and questions section go?

I thought the overall design and layout is great, very smooth. I still havent read the MDH article yet so can't comment on that one.

Overall I was very happy to receive it, especially with the little pressie that comes with it.
I know, everyone has already heard it, its the same as the vid, but its still something special just for propaganda subscribers and thats good emough for me.

SO what are your thoughts Bubba? And anyone else whose actually reading this thread...

Well... it's my first Propaganda, so I'm not really able to compare it to past issues, but here are my inital thoughts:

* Beautiful layout. It's got a "pop-art" feel to it (like the POP liner notes), but with a much cleaner, "stripped-down" design.

* Beautiful pictures. I was just floored with how real the pictures looked, how close to actual photographs they came, particularly the studio shots of Adam and Larry and the video shoot for TGBHF.

* The articles were too short, particularly the Edge's interview.

* And the CD kicks a$$. I know it's the same Mexico City concert, but I don't mind when I consider how much better the sound quality is on the CD than during the live broadcast or the VHS tape. (It should've had "Mysterious Ways", but no big loss.)

There ya go. My thoughts on the summer issue.

Just one question/confirmation: is that Danny Lanois in the middle of the studio picture with Bono to the side?

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Yessss, finally I can contribute to this discussion! I was cleaning my apartment this weekend and guess what was thrown in with the stack of junk mail that I (thank God!) had the good sense to sort through before trashing.... you got it! PROPAGANDA! My heart almost stopped. Roommates....grrr!

Anyways, I sat down and read it through immediately while listening to my new CD. My initial impressions are very similar to Bubba's.
-The artwork and layout is verrrry cool, very laidback and has a bit of a "zine" feel to it.
-That page of Larry pictures was really interesting. I'm not a Larry drooler (although I won't argue the fact that he's a looker) but I just liked the feel of that page. And after being a webcam junkie, I had to giggle at the shots of Larry in "his" chair.
-Ditto on Bubba's comment. The articles were definitely too short!
-I found myself a bit confused by who was writing which article. Is this a fan? Someone on the inside? Professional journalist? Maybe I'm just slow, but it left me a bit muddled.
-photo captions seemed a bit lacking. I guess I'm referring more to the pictures with non-band members...I'd like to know who I'm looking at and why they're there.

But all in all, very satisfying and now I want my new album even more!
smile.gif
Oh and it's really fun to tell people that I got Propaganda in the mail. They go huh? Propaganda? Isn't that a bad thing? hehe

Last...that picture of baby Eli on Bono's laptop is the sweetest thing I've seen
smile.gif

-sulawesigirl

Bubba...that is Lanois with the guitar laughing in the picture. I liked the new prop because usually the fonts are on some kind of funky background and it is hard to read...but in this one the backgrounds are nice and clear. The Cd kicks ass too....

I think the Edge article was long enough because the interview I think was done in February and Edge might have been a little guarded in what he was trying to say, hell he might not have even known what the album was going to be like so he couldn't have given us the kind of information then as he could if he were to give the same interview today. The only problem with prop is it seems like the information is a touch old by the time it gets to fans such as ourselves...but I love getting prop anyway

Back
Top Bottom