New U2 book on the way!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I'm so excited, this is what I've been waiting for, a book that tells their WHOLE story, and it looks like they are going to be the ones telling it!

U2's Book Deal
The U2 retrospective, tentatively titled In the Name of Love: U2 by U2, will be published by HarperEntertainment, an imprint of HarperCollins, in 2005. Harper has purchased the rights to the book for a reported $3 million. Although the figure is an extraordinary amount for a book of its type, it?s far from the record-holding nonfiction book deals earned by Bill Clinton ($10 million), Pope John Paul II ($8.5 million), and Hillary Clinton ($8 million).

more retrospective stuff, amongst best of's and slane dvd... for any other band i would say:
1 - hungry for money making
and/or
2 - lack of inspiration for new stuff

anyway, for u2 i want to believe that's not the case (or at least is more than that) with the new album and so on.

and of course that i will buy the book

The problem with U2 telling the story is that they're not writers. The don't have time to give us a book like Bill Flanagan, Eamon Dunphry, or even BP Fallon. I'm worried that we'll get a skinny little paper back full of pictures and a basic timeline of events. I'm also skeptical of "U2 by U2" b/c no matter what the publisher tells you, often books/autobiographies of famous people are not written by them (my favorite gymnasts Nadia Comaneci's autobiography "Nadia" was written by a British writer).

I would say Bono IS a writer. Look at his song lyrics and his speeches, the things he's written for DATA. I think Bono is capable of writing a book all by himself. Don't underestimate the others too!

He's a writer, but his job isn't writing books, articles, reviews, or following musicians arround, infiltrating their crowds and writing a great book about the experience. I like Flanagan's book for many reasons, but one is simply the fact that HE wrote it, not Bono, Edge, etc. I like that he can observe everything they do and give us an account, rather than just Bono telling his side of the story or what he decides we should know about himself.

I don't think U2 has the time or maybe even the skills to give us a book like Flanagan's. They'd be better off hiring someone they know and trust.

I think it would be a good book. I just read David Beckham's book by David Beckham a couple of months ago and I was kinda iffy about liking it and he did a good job.

Of course U2 would get help from people to put it together and make it make sense I would think :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom