MERGED ----> New book "On the Move" coming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
New book "On the Move" coming

FYI, there's a new book, entitled "On the Move", that is set to be released next February. The author is listed as Bono. It will be in hardcover format.

Here's the book description, from Amazon. You can pre-order it now.

"The one thing on which we can all agree, is that God is with the vulnerable and poor. God is in the slums and in the cardboard boxes where the poor play house. God is in the debris of wasted opportunity and lives, and God is with us if we are with them. 6,500 Africans are still dying every day of a preventable, treatable disease, for lack of drugs we can buy at any drug store. This is not about charity, this is about Justice and Equality." --Bono

This small book, based upon the speech given by Bono at the 2006 NPB, delivers an inspiring and powerful message. Here, in Bono's own words, is a reflection on his own faith and a challenge to people of all faiths to reach across boundaries and come together on behalf of what the Scriptures call "the least of these."

the cover:

onthemove.jpg

Here's some more info on the book, from Hot Press:

"Bono speech on poverty & AIDS published

18 Jan 2007

A speech by Bono at a 2005 White House conference on extreme poverty and AIDS in Africa is to be published in book form.

Due on April 3rd, On The Move also features a series of photos that the U2 man took on his first trip to Ethiopia in 1985.

"I was very motivated after hearing Bono speak and asked myself how we could help," explains David Moberg of Thomas Nelson Publishers. "We're honoured to publish this book and assist in whatever way we can with Bono's efforts on behalf of the ONE campaign."

The hardback, which was designed by Four5One’s Steve Averill, will be available in both English and Spanish but only in North America, which was the intended audience for the hard-hitting polemic."

JCOSTER said:
I really wanted to see more of his photography too. When they were on display they were called something with pearl in it. I forget the exact wording.

"A String of Pearls" was the title of the book that accompanied the photo exhibit. Very few were printed and those that occasionally come up for sale cost a fortune.

I don't buy many U2 books, but that book I will definitly buy. Bono's speech was very powerful and I would love to read it and see the pictures. Amazon wrote me an e-mail some days ago about the book being released in April. So that means it will be available here as well. Wow, I cannot wait.

Another of Bono's photos from Africa (this time Ethiopia I believe) is on the cover of another book he put together a few years ago called "The aWake Project" or something like that. It's a collection of essays, largely from religious leaders, about the importance of fighting AIDS in Africa.

I'm sure they fill the orders in the order they were placed so maybe that's why it didn't ship immediately. Here's what my email said:

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):
1 On the Move $10.18 1 $10.18

Shipped via USPS (estimated arrival date: 22-March-2007).
Tracking number: 9102001206742170361244

I've noticed several times that the item is shipped slightly earlier than the pre-order prediction. Hopefully yours won't be far behind. I can't imagine that there are that many pre-orders.

Dana

I went to order this last night from Amazon, but it said it wouldn't ship until March 28. I checked again today, and it said it would ship on the 22nd, so I went ahead ordered it (and of course had to pick up a few more things so I could get free shipping :wink: )

It's interesting that this book was at about # 50,000 about a month ago, and after the NAACP awards, it jumped to about #20,000 and seems like it's still rising in sales.

The NPB speech was so beautiful. I'm really looking forward to being able to read it.

I pre-ordered it, Amazon says it will be released on April 3 here, I hope they'll ship it very soon when it's out and I hope it will have the photos as well. It's quite cheap, a small book, but I can't wait to read it, I so love Bono's speech at the NBP and watched it more than once on You Tube.

JCOSTER said:
Just got my book today! Its small but I think its rather a beautiful collection of Bonos words and photos.

You luck sod, mine didn't come in yet. Hope my stupid mailman hasn't lost the darn thing.

Dana

"ON THE MOVE" Book by Bono

I just received my copy today of Bono's new book "On the Move' and it is the most BEAUTIFUL book that I've ever seen! :yes:

As you may have read about a few months ago, this little book is a copy of the speech that Bono gave before the National Prayer Breakfast in February 2006 but what really makes this book COME ALIVE are the seventeen phots that are included in the book that were taken by Bono during his (and Ali's) time in the World Vision refugee camp in Ethiopia in 1985.

Two of these photos stuck out at me the most.

The first was the picture on page 17 of the little boy that Bono always alludes to in his speeches for Africa as the "inspiration" for why he does what he does today to make extreme poverty history.

It is the picture of the little boy (~3-4 years old) that the Ethiopian father was attempting to persuade Bono to take back to Ireland with him! :love:

Bono says this about that little boy in the book

"This book is dedicated to the little boy on page 17. He changed my life. I can't remember his name."

The other page which will draw your complete attention is page 21.

On this page are two small pictures of Bono interacting with the children from the camp.

The way the pictures look, it appears that he is maybe trying to teach them a song or musical skit (remember Bono was "in charge" of creating songs and musical skits to help entertain and educate the people in the camp on such sexy subjects as dental hygiene - :) )

You can definitely see why the children in the camp called Bono "the girl with the beard".

If anyone else has this book and can post scans from it that would be GREAT. It would help others to see what a lovely treasure this little book is!

And all the proceeds from the book goes to the ONE Campaign.

I was so excited tonight upon reading this book that I had to post this. I'm sure every PLEBAn knows the feeling.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Wow, that's amazing! Thanks so much for this information Jamila! Cannot wait to get my hands on it... :drool:

Reading is my favorite hobby and to read something written by Bono.... wonderful.

Mine's been on order for awhile now... I can't wait til it arrives! :hyper:

Hopefully someone will post some scans soon :)

One might want to contain one's excitement and channel it into the five month old thread that has been ongoing in EAIACEPIAT.
Cool now Mama. LOL!

Babydoll said:
Wow, that's amazing! Thanks so much for this information Jamila! Cannot wait to get my hands on it... :drool:

Reading is my favorite hobby and to read something written by Bono.... wonderful.

Seriously, does no one go to the reading forum!?!??

This is ancient news. :|

Back
Top Bottom