MERGED ---> Lola's U2 Tell-All + Lola is dangerous..+ Band's Stylist.. + Bono Exposed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeVox

War Child
Lola Cashman's U2 Tell-All

found this on amazon......pretty interesting to say the least
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...im_b_dp_3/202-8979404-3825413#product-details

Synopsis
Lola Cashman is one of the few people ever to have been allowed into the inner sanctum of the U2 entourage. Hired by Bono to completely overhaul the band's image, she gained a fascinating insight into one of the biggest bands in the world. The tales she has to tell should intrigue any of the band's millions of fans - tales of Bono's desperate insecurity about his height, tales of punch-ups with major Hollywood music stars, and of course tales of the music and madness of life on the road with the band.

The question is, did the band say she could write this? I'd like the book as well, but I'd feel a bit guilty owning it if they hadn't had any say in whether or not it was published/written.

Sucks that she went ahead with this. She tried to sell gifts the band gave her a while back against the band's wishes. Anyway, two old news stories about Lola...

U2 Threaten To Sue Former Stylist
January 19, 2003

Rock stars U2 have threatened to sue their former stylist if she sells souvenirs from their international tours.

Lola Cashman, who created the group's look for their Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum tours, claims that they gave her items such as tour mugs and sweatshirts, which have been valued at a few thousand dollars.

But when she tried to put them up for sale through auctioneers Christie's, the band said they weren't hers, and claimed them back.

Now Christie's are refusing to hand over the goods until the row is settled.

She says, "I felt so upset at first but now I'm angry. How can I get a job as a stylist when I would have to tell them about this? It's ruining my life. I worked with the boys for two years, and I was very close to them, particularly Bono.

"He helps all these charities and organisations and is seen as caring and generous but then he is getting funny about me selling some old mugs for goodness sake."

U2 BAN LOLA FROM SELLING OFF PRESENTS
Jan 15 2003
Rick Fulton Exclusive

IT seems not everyone thinks Bono and U2 are the greatest band in the world.

While lead singer Bono presses politicians' flesh around the world in a bid to slash Third World debts, at home they are being accused of being big meanies.

Disgruntled Lola Cashman, the band's former stylist, has lambasted the group, Adam Clayton, Bono,The Edge and Larry Mullen, for their heartless behaviour after she tried to auction off some of the items that were given to her as gifts from some of the band members.

They were intended to be mementos of her time with the combo, but hard- up Lola tried to sell off the presents from Bono, Larry and the rest of the outfit through Christie's to try to clear off her financial commitments.

But she received a stern letter from U2's lawyers warning her not to proceed and Christie's were forced to take Lola's possessions off their sales lists.

But Lola is determined to continue her fight for the right to sell her U2 memorabilia.

And she is in talks with her own lawyers about how to proceed with her battle against the pop lords.

A music agent who has had dealings with Lola and U2, claimed: "Lola is outraged and extremely upset about the treatment she has received from the rock monsters she once considered as friends.

"But she is determined to continue with her bid to sell off her U2 gifts.

"One of the bits of apparel that Lola was given by U2 even said: `Love to Lola from Bono'.

"She was given the items - a hat, a bible, shoes and some other pieces of clothing as a gesture of goodwill from the band. So their actions come as a hard blow to her. They belong to her so she should be entitled to do what she wants with them."

Lola, who is also writing a book of unauthorised memoirs about her experiences with the band, entitled U2, Me Too, heard from U2's solicitors after returning from a well-earned break in Australia.

"The action seems particularly cruel, because Lola's U2 memorabilia would only have increased her bank balance by a few thousand pounds," says our source.

No one at U2's offices was available for comment.

ouizy said:
I do not know if I would support this book...

You've raised an interesting point. It sure doesn't sound like this is something the band would have authorized. Unfortunately, a lot of merchandise never is, it seems...not just speaking in the U2 realm either.

Band's stylist book

Anyone heard about the band's ex-stylist doing a tell all book about the band?
Supposedly she writes about some of the negative aspects of the band from what I've read :|
What does everyone else think?:eyebrow:

Bono Exposed?...New Unauthorized Book on U2!

Hey all,

I've haven't been here for awhile. I found this on atu2.com and was wondering what othres thought of it. Personally, I don't really care if Bono is obsessed with his height or image. Who among us is surprised Bono wears high step shoes to alter his appearance?

Bono Exposed

New book reveals his secret

Irish Mirror, September 18, 2003

Paul Martin

Rock star Bono is said to be furious with a kiss-and-tell book which is set to stun the music world and fans of U2.

Today the Irish Mirror can exclusively reveal some of the secrets of the eagerly awaited book which is being kept under lock and key.

U2's former stylist Lola Cashman has written the unauthorised biography after spending two years on the road with the group during the 1980s.

And it's not hard to see why the superstar singer is privately infuriated by her claims that he was obsessed with his height, hair and image.

Sources close to the group have blasted Cashman's tales as "purely from the imagination." And last night Bono's publicist Lindsay Holmes said: "He is not lowering himself by making any statement or comment about the book."

But behind the scenes the star has expressed concern over what Ms. Cashman has written.

In one graphic chapter of Inside the Zoo with U2, Cashman will claim that Bono had special shoes made to boost his height.

She will also allege that Bono, who is 5 ft. 7 in. tall, was careful not to pose for pictures with celebrities who were much taller than him. It is also claimed he always wore high-soled shoes to boost his height for public appearances.

A source behind the book said: "She is saying that Bono had serious hang-ups about his height and had special shoes made.

"She will claim that he was really unhappy with his height and wouldn't go on stage without the right shoes that made him look taller.

"It's pretty hard-hitting but she saw a lot on the road with the band and thinks the truth should be told.

"There's also a lot of references to Bono and his image. He was very particular over how his hair would look, what he would wear and how he looked in photos.

"It might not be the image that Bono wants to portray to the fans but Cashman doesn't believe she is doing anything wrong."

Ms. Cashman has already incurred the displeasure of Bono after she tried to auction autographed gifts earlier this year, which the band had given her.

U2 blocked the sale at Christie's saying they were not for her to sell, and allegations followed that the book was written as revenge. In another hard-hitting chapter Cashman will reveal how the band partied and drank all night on their tours, even going on stage with raging hangovers.

The source added: "She was often out on the town partying with them when they were on tour and saw them boozing in their full glory.

"There would be marathon drinking sessions that ended at dawn. The band would spend all day in bed then get up and go on stage, even with hangovers.

"It wasn't a pretty sight trying to get them all dressed up and looking good for a show when they were recovering from the night before. There was a rule that what happened on tour stayed on tour but that was a long time ago now.

"She is also going to go into detail about how they spent loads of time carefully looking over publicity photos before allowing them to go to print.

"If one of them didn't like the way they looked in a certain picture then they wouldn't allow it to be published.

"She's not doing this book out of revenge, she thinks it is going to be an interesting story that should be told."

But sources close to U2 have dismissed the book as simply a money-making venture.

A pal of Bono said: "This is a typical kiss-and-tell book by someone who wants to make money.

"Bono has spent months and months touring the world to campaign for money for the Third World so for someone to claim he is so obsessed with his looks is completely ridiculous. The fact is that she tried to sell U2 items at an auction and was blocked.

It just goes to show she was after the cash.

"The band worked with her for a couple of years but most of the book is coming from her imagination.

"She is exaggerating things and making it into a good story that people will buy to make her money."

Cashman has already struck a deal with a newspaper to serialise the book before its release next month. She will also make an appearance on Eamon Dunphy's TV3 chat show to talk about the unauthorised publication.

The book is going to be huge simply because it portrays U2 in a completely different light than people are used to seeing, a book insider added.

"Of course Bono isn't going to like it because it's out of his control and they have no idea how it is going to make them look.

"The book could potentially damage their image and, behind the scenes, they are taking it seriously. There's little doubt that stars hate books like these because they are not authorised and they never know what could pop up in them. But it's not all bad and there are some funny stories and a good description of how the band was run on a daily basis."

U2 ARE to release a DVD of one of their historic Slane gigs.

The DVD U2 Go Home, filmed on September 1, 2001, is the first ever release to feature the band playing to a home crowd.

The show from the Elevation tour also marked the 20th anniversary of the band's first appearance at Slane supporting Thin Lizzy.

The DVD is available from November 17.

So far based on the write-up, there's really notihng new to say. It is common knowledge that the band are alcoholics. It is common knowledge that Bono wears elevator shoes. And just about every celebrity screens his/her publicity photos before releasing it - who wouldn't anyway? It is also just human nature to want to look good in front of a camera. So this book doesn't say anything us fans don't already know.

Cheers,

J
The King of POP

:shrug:

I thought it was common knowledge Bono wears shoes with heels - insecure about his height? I dunno, he doesn't stike me as such.
Obsessed with his image? He may be dressed sharp at a tour but otherwise he has a very unconventional fassion taste. (*ahem* that green army hat, for one)

And what is so odd about a celebrity looking at the pictures before they come out? I remember an interview with Corbijn in our newspaper where he specifically said U2 was his hardest client to bargain with regarding which pics to use.

And a story where Bono and Edge went on a drinking "competition" with Gallagher brothers from Oasis. And they won, too.
Again, not like we don't know they drink, however I find it a bit unlikely that perfectionists like them would drink excessively during a tour. (isn't Bono allergic to red wine anyway?)

That's the stylist who sold the band items who were given to her as presents right? How nice of her. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oh my God! Bono is short and tries to make himself look taller.....I have lost all respect for his lyrics, singing and music.

Oh no! Bono likes to preview his photos before having them published, so that he can pick the ones he looks best in! I will burn all the photos I have of U2!

I can't believe this!! The band sometimes parties all night and sleeps off a hangover most of the day. Even though sometimes they have nothing better to do with their day than sleep it off, because they only work at night. I can't believe that when I see U2 onstage, it's after they've gone under a makeover to make them look their best. I always thought that's what they always looked like. Why would anyone try to doll themselves up a bit before going onstage in front of thousands of people??? I'll never go to a U2 concert again!!

What's this? Bono, a legal adult and Irish person, drinks alcohol? I'll never take Bono seriously again when he speaks about relevant causes, such as third world debt and people dying everyday from hunger and disease. Anyone who would drink alcohol and then go tell me what is right from wrong is a hypocrit, and shouldn't be listened to!!

This lady needs to get a fucking life. Lots of people don't want bad pictures of themselves getting out. A lot of short people are insecure about their height. Lots of people sleep it off when they have a hangover. Lots of people drink alcohol. Stupid woman is making an easy buck by describing what we know is true about most rock stars. U2 used to party.....so what? They were in their 20s, on top of the world and on tour. Why not celebrate?

The_acrobat said:
Oh my God! Bono is short and tries to make himself look taller.....I have lost all respect for his lyrics, singing and music.

Oh no! Bono likes to preview his photos before having them published, so that he can pick the ones he looks best in! I will burn all the photos I have of U2!

I can't believe this!! The band sometimes parties all night and sleeps off a hangover most of the day. Even though sometimes they have nothing better to do with their day than sleep it off, because they only work at night. I can't believe that when I see U2 onstage, it's after they've gone under a makeover to make them look their best. I always thought that's what they always looked like. Why would anyone try to doll themselves up a bit before going onstage in front of thousands of people??? I'll never go to a U2 concert again!!

What's this? Bono, a legal adult and Irish person, drinks alcohol? I'll never take Bono seriously again when he speaks about relevant causes, such as third world debt and people dying everyday from hunger and disease. Anyone who would drink alcohol and then go tell me what is right from wrong is a hypocrit, and shouldn't be listened to!!

This lady needs to get a fucking life. Lots of people don't want bad pictures of themselves getting out. A lot of short people are insecure about their height. Lots of people sleep it off when they have a hangover. Lots of people drink alcohol. Stupid woman is making an easy buck by describing what we know is true about most rock stars. U2 used to party.....so what? They were in their 20s, on top of the world and on tour. Why not celebrate?

THAT was entertaining. Thank you, well said! :applause:

Whatever minor vices Bono may or may not indulge in from time to time only makes him that much more human, more normal (not that this is justification, just a way of looking at it :shrug: )

david said:
So it was her that told Bono to wear those stupid vests and dress like a pirate back in 1988.

LMAO! That bitch!!!!!
It's amazing that U2 were so popular then. Bono looked like a total idiot.

There is no way that any true U2 fan should buy or read this book if it is excerpted anywhere.
She worked for them and is writing a tell all book that is unauthorized. What is real or what is exaggerated one can never know. And who gives a damn about how Bono feels about his height? Or that they went drinking after gigs. They owe us nothing but great music and great shows. And they deliver each and every time. I hope the book is a bomb and I think that if U2 fans do not buy it, it will.

The_acrobat said:

Why don't you get a life. Everyone is entitled to have their say thank you very much. Too many pussies who skulk around not wanting to upset the 'big boys' ......... go play with the rest of the monkeys.

jessie d said:

Why don't you get a life.

Hi, jessie d...I see that you are new, and while I want to take this time to welcome you, I also want to let you know that we don't allow personal attacks at this board. If you disagree with somebody, please debate the issue in a civilized manner.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom