MERGED ---> Lola's U2 Tell-All + Lola is dangerous..+ Band's Stylist.. + Bono Exposed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm only posting this now cos I read the book yesterday. I havent' been in a bookstore for about a year cos it's just too tempting to spend and I've been spending my non existent cash on DVDs anyway! :shh:

Anyways, I read the book cover to cover in the bookshop (hey I read fast) and didn't find it at all offensive or unwarranted. And I've been a fan since 1981 so I've read it all.

What I liked about it was it wasn't syncophantic. She was documenting HER story about working for a band, and organisation, she had no prior knowledge of and which, this is the most important point of all I think, went from being kinda known, to being the biggest band on the planet.

Now I always kinda suspected taht Bono's ego exploded around that time (bits of R&H kinda give it away) and it would be natural that it did. You're 26ish, you go from playing smallish venues to playing stadiums with every person hanging off your every word! Course you'd think you were pretty special. And then if you also felt pretty insecure, you'd be bloody volatile.

I was actually more interested in reading about the organisation rather than the band. Everything I've ever read about them just highlights their obsessiveness about control and this book confirms what I already have read. I have no issue with them having control over the band's music and all the legalese associated with that, I sometimes have a problem with their obsessiveness about the band's public image and the way they try to control how the band is perceived by the general public. This is why all the biographies I feel tend towards the fawning, rather than truly honest. And I'm not surprised they tried to stop Lola. She coming out with her version of the story, interferes with that control.

Look I love U2, I see them every chance I can, I'd see them live on stage farting for 2 hours (only if the light show was good) if that's all they did.

However, I don't see them as saints, I see them as the flawed humans that we all are.

My 2 cents.

So Im pretty pissed that I saw the book and bought it without realizing what this lady has done. Upon reading it she seems to overexagerate many things, including Bono's fondness of her. She complains about the other members not trusting her and of all the women who work with U2 being completely catty. Each story definetly needs to be reexamined by the reader by taking a step back and realizing that shes just mad at the band. :madspit: I am very ashamed to have this book in my possession. :(

So wait --that whole thing with thesuspenders and the super high pants is her fault? *dies laughing* Ok. Wierd. Veddy wierd. Personally, I think they should just let her publish the book. Seriously, it's not likely to put a dent in their reputation among fans, at any rate. Doesn't seem all that different form the Flannigan book..

Just to clarify something that Blueeyedgirl said. The band was already huge when they were 26. They were playing bigger venues then (Joshua Tree) than they are right now (at least in the US and I think that's a choice they made). They were only "kinda known" in 82 maybe and Bono would have been 22 then. I could see him having an adjustment to make ego-wise, but honestly the guy is pretty self-deprecating, and in the many times I've seen him I've never seen him treat a fan as if he were better than them.

Devlin said:

Personally, I think they should just let her publish the book.

She did publish the book, that's why this thread is here. If it weren't published, none of us would have been able to read it.

Devlin said:

Doesn't seem all that different form the Flannigan book..

There is nothing at all similar about this book and Bill Flanagan's book. His book was extremely well-written. Lola's book, on the other hand, is poorly written. The book is just not good. She knew them for a very brief time and is not qualified as a writer or reporter to write a book about them.

I went to a lot of trouble to get this book from the inter-library loan, because I was determined not to pay anything for it, but I was too curious. I'm glad I read it, because I like to read anything about U2, good or bad. But I agree with the above post, it was poorly written, and I swear I have NEVER seen so many typographical errors in a book, ever! I couldn't believe they let the book get published in that condition :giggle:

I'm a massive U2 fan but I reckon that credit should be given where credit is due.

Lola has a cracking set of cans and that has to be more important than a hat and a pair of pants, even if they are Bono's. I think that people need to get a bit of perspective here.

If you look carefully and use a bit of imagination, you can see the extra bits round her nipple and her blouse is so stretched across her vast tittage it's untrue. They are trying their best to pop out for me.

lola2.jpg

I'd have a good suck on them fat tats, anyway if I were Bono, I would have settled for that instead of court costs.

That's probably why I'm skint come to think of it.

Gaz
icon22.gif
icon22.gif
icon22.gif
icon22.gif
icon22.gif
:madwife:

Last edited:
Gaz Welch said:

anyway if I were Bono, I would have settled for that instead of court costs.

Luckily, he didn't have to settle for either. SHE was ordered to pay the court costs, and I'm sure he has much nicer bosoms to visit.

When I knew someone who dated her back in Fall '87 - Spring '88, I told him I thought she was quite ugly. We met her through a makeup artist and very old friend Paul Gobel. I knew Paul since the early days in NYC, I met him in '74. He passed away in LA in the Summer of '88.

Back then I thought she looked like a fatter version of Mark Almond with that huge honker. She dressed very unattractively as well. Women with thunder thighs should not wear jodfers.

Madonna yes, Lola no way...

How about...

...if somebody wants to discuss this book, feel free to start a new thread. Bumping up a thread that is so old to simply bash Lola Cashman is silly, and I'm going to close it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom