MERGED ----> Book Signing - NYC + Tuesday, NYC + NYC booksigning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great story headache!! And if it makes you feel better, I probably would have acted the same way around them! :lol:

Congrats to everyone who got in...I'm jealous!!

Great story Shannon (like the river:wink: ), Thanks for taking the time to write it all out for the rest of us. BTW, do you fall off your barstool much :eyebrow:

snowbunny00774 said:
Congrats to everyone who got in...I'm jealous!!

Great story Shannon (like the river:wink: ), Thanks for taking the time to write it all out for the rest of us. BTW, do you fall off your barstool much :eyebrow:

:lmao: it was on top of the pile of clean laundry... i was rushing out the house so fast that i just grabbed the first shirt i could get my hands on lol.

it ended up working out alright, because my parents immediately recognized me on the local news reports because of the back of my shirt lol

Headache in a Suitcase said:

253660161_ea4c03890a.jpg

Sliante!!!

I guess that's what a couple of beers will do to "Slainte" lol....and, of course, they're Guinness:wink:

Congrats:applaud: :applaud:

Hey, Headache!! I was a bout 10 people in front of you - had I known, we could've met up. See why I took the chance to fly up from Florida? It was definitely worth it! Like you, I am totally disgusted with thet crackhead group that was sitting between us-- they almost hit one of us in the head several times while playing football on the sidewalk.
Glad we both got in!!

I was there!!!!

I got there yestarday at 5:30 am--was number 141 in line--and did not make the cut obviously...

However through the wonder of the kindes person ever who works for U@ management, I was one of the last few lucky folks to recevie a bracelet from the leftovers from contest winners...

I was able to tell Edge what a great chance it was to thank him after 20+years..and he siad that it was us the dfan who made it happen--but I told him that the band and Bono get to tell us that at every show, but it is so rare for us to get to personally tell it to them--he winked at me and smiled,

Bono was a little dristracted but I thanked him and took a picture with me and he tahniked me as well,

Larry was a thanks and a handshake...

Adam I told that I had been right in front of him in the ellipse in the garden and that he had the happiest look on his face and it was contagious for those in the crows=d who saw him...

He smiled and thanked me for that and shhok my hand...

and that was that...

and I was quite a happy camper!

Headache-- you have me crackin' up here! We were joking around that we would ask Edge if he was "popping off" at us?! LOL... We had the same two words seared onto our memories, too! :rolleyes:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
now as i'm at the bottom of the escelators on the third floor, i hear a "wooooooo" go up from the crowd above on the 4th. i don't really think anything of it until 2 minutes later when pat comes down, with the same 12 year old girl at an n'sync concert grin on his face.

as pat walked on to the stage (i was told... couldn't see 'cause they push you out so quickly), bono started eyeing pat's blue bvlgari's, and a few seconds later, motioned for pat to swap sunglasses with him... they later swapped back.

patbono.jpg

The NYC book signing line

I was one of the lucky hundred. I went on the line at 8 pm the night before. Although it was exciting to see U2 and get my book signed I was extremely disappointed for a couple reasons.
About 25% of the line was non-U2 fans getting the book for ebay (was obvious who was a fan and who wasn't). The other disappointment was the the girl in the front of the line. She was writing down names and putting numbers on people's hands. She claimed to get there at noon and stayed all day then left to go home. I got there and she had just left. She did not come back until bout 6 in the morning. It was really unfair to the people who did stay in line. On top of that she put her friends down for numbers two, three, and four. These girls didn't show up till about 7. You can imagine how it was to the the fans who waited in the night dealing with the drunk ebayers and fights in the street. So a big FU to that girl. While she was at home sleeping and resting looking pretty for U2 there were other real fans who pushed the night. If u need to leave for an hour or two for food or to take care of business I understand but she was gone for 10 hours, and we in the back counted. I feel real bad to the people who did not make the cutoff point due to people cutting the line and say that there needs to be a revision of the GA and first come first serve basis. It is not official and too many people are losing out due to the greediness of the front. I feel that there should be some more concerns raised for this point.

PS
to that girl.....Karma....what goes around comes around. I hope you enjoyed the U2 signing cause for your cutting and letting others cut you were wrong.

Oh forgot.....also a big FU to the people who came, took a number from the girl, left, and came back in the morning. This one family cried to security and got put in front. Way to teach your kid about honesty and waiting.

Book Signing Line

I couldnt agree with you more!WHO WAS THAT GIRL????The number thing threw us off so bad,we actually thought Barnes and Noble was "Cool" enough to get someone to organize the line.When we arrived in the early am,our names were taken and we were given numbers.Granted,the numbers were above 100,we thought thats really great that we actually may get in due to the fact they were still handing out numbers before 8:00am.Also,why would they go above 100 if they werent going to hand out extras.Wishfull thinking,but it did seem a possible.What was she thinking?That number MEANT NOTHING!I heard commotion from around the front of the store around 8:30.that must have been the line jump time.We continued to stick it out no matter what people told us.We were told forget it,your wasting your time.They will never sign your book.OH WELL....WRONG!!!Thanks to John and the band...our books were signed by all members,OUTSIDE!!!As Mick says...."THANK YOU JESUS....THANK YOU LORD!"Met some cool people on a positive note,the day was Beautiful,NYC is the Place to Be!

Re: Book Signing Line

luckyhat said:
I couldnt agree with you more!WHO WAS THAT GIRL????The number thing threw us off so bad,we actually thought Barnes and Noble was "Cool" enough to get someone to organize the line.When we arrived in the early am,our names were taken and we were given numbers.Granted,the numbers were above 100,we thought thats really great that we actually may get in due to the fact they were still handing out numbers before 8:00am.Also,why would they go above 100 if they werent going to hand out extras.Wishfull thinking,but it did seem a possible.What was she thinking?That number MEANT NOTHING!I heard commotion from around the front of the store around 8:30.that must have been the line jump time.We continued to stick it out no matter what people told us.We were told forget it,your wasting your time.They will never sign your book.OH WELL....WRONG!!!Thanks to John and the band...our books were signed by all members,OUTSIDE!!!As Mick says...."THANK YOU JESUS....THANK YOU LORD!"Met some cool people on a positive note,the day was Beautiful,NYC is the Place to Be!

It was a "Beautiful Day"

Well it's human nature for some people to do whatever it takes to get what they want, and/or to cheat or to have a different standard for themselves. "It's all about me" basically, and screw others. U2 fans are hardly above or immune from that. It's the concert GA all over again. One reason I would be glad to not have any involvement in something like the booksigning, it's such a turnoff to deal with people like that. That turned me off to GA too. If it went down the way you say it did, well some people just have a sense of entitlement and not as big of a sense of fairness and honesty. I have heard stories from friends of mine about certain fans and what they did and said in GA lines and their blatant dishonesty and cheating and sense of entitlement- it's really pretty pathetic and sickening, honestly.

Who said the store would honor a fan run line and numbers and all that? But that still doesn't excuse any dishonesty. U2 can't even have something like that without crap like that happening, that's pretty sad. The only option you have is to try to have a majority confront those types of people, or just don't go to those types of events.

right from the start, from when i first got there around 7:30/quarter ot 8... we were told that barnes & noble could not officialy recognize the number system, but that they were glad we were doing it, and that it was up to the people in line to "police ourselves."

much like the GA lines for concerts, where it was entirely up to the arena on wether or not to honor the number system, such was the same with the book signing.

:shrug: the only thing different fromt he book signing line and the GA lines were the e-bay schmucks who were causing a disruption.

i walked away from the line numerous times. now i never left the vicinity of union square, venturing off no further than a block away in either direction... but when you're waiting for so damned long, you need to distract yourself somehow. needless to say i developed a rather nice relationship with the lady in charge of the bathroom buzzer at mcdonalds.

as for the family of three whom cut the line... their entire story was bullshit only one of the three, the rosie o'donnell looking mom, had a number... it was number 84, and it was underlined, not circled like everyone else's. and she claimed to have been there since 3 in the morning... wooo hooo to you, i was there since before 8 and my number was a mere 13 spots higher than yours! their entire story was a scam... but hey, whatever.

You mean some people had numbers with a circle around?What did that mean?The Mystery Girl who gave me my number was in a lounge chair,she didnt bother to circle my number...just curious on how these loyal fans were "in Charge"....Why did she need my name?To quote a great Soprano..."Im just sayin..."

After reading all these stories about NYC Book Signing, it seems like the Ebay people are the excuse .You are in NYC,what do you expect?Yes it sucks they were in line and nasty.They said The F Word.They dont care about you anyway.Ebay will not do a thing about it either.The deal is,you all cheated your "Fan Friends".It seems this number system was shady and not like the GA lines at all.You pay to get in GA areas.You see a show.The people handing out numbers should have followed thru by explaining that this NUMBER SYSTEM MEANS NOTHING .It is a shame people had to walk away after losing sleep and hope that they may get to meet the band.Next time people decide to take something on,dont do it half assed ,it would have been cool for the person who gave out the numbers to walk around and explain what was going on,but then...she would have lost her place in line right?

I was number 141--and the group around me all new that there was every chance the numbers would not be honored and was fan implementd. We just hoped it would help a little with self policing line jumpers...

All I can say is I so thrilled my day went the way it did--meeting them was a long imagined experience..and one iwill never ever forget...

First I thought the brooklyn bridge was the ultimate, than being in the ellipse at a garden show, but now this...

:wink: :wink:

How early did you need to get there to be #141?Did you get a bracelet?Did you meet them inside?There was a guy with #74 who didnt get a bracelet.Why?He was there since 3:30 in the am. Im not trying to get you all worked up.Its just the "We" thing.Some people had a number on a piece of paper,some had a circle around the number on theyre hand,some had a line under the number...why?You and the people around you knew the number system was fan implemented ,thats cool for you and them... but alot had no idea.I had a great day,got my book signed by the band (OUTSIDE),met some cool people...but I was really taken back by the way "Loyal Fans" treated each other.By the way,Brooklyn was great,no one took any crap from line cutters,we didnt have numbers either.The only thing was,when friends called people on cell phones,they thought it was ok to let that person jump in line with them when they showed up.That didnt go over well.I was in the first group of 10 in the am for that and cops didnt need to arrive untill right before the band showed up."Im just sayin..."

Luckyhat,

I got to Brooklyn at 7am, I wsa one of 3 fans there, and I walked right up to the stage to staek my claim. After a few hours there was a slightly bigger crowd, and we were coralled away from the stage, and evntually forced into a line. Before the band came on, many many media people were put at the head of the line. Lest's just say that by the time we were let in I went from touching the stage to being 5or 6 people back. Still great --of course!!!

Fair? Not really...

I was 141 at 5:30 am. I did not get a bracelet in line, but I did get one by being in the right place and the right time a little later on....

AS far as the numbers--would anyone really believe that a person camping out with a notebook and some markers had any opffical role? I was just glad that there was any attempt to keep order. AS it turned out, it wouldn't have mattered for me anyway.....

"Staking Claim?" To what?Thats where the problem starts.The point to these posts is to voice what I saw.I have noticed any time someone brings up something that may have made U2 fans look ugly,eveyone gets on the defensive.Lets blame the Ebay guys,and anyway...I know for a fact that if a Retail establishment would like to give an employee overtime to try to get some order ahead of major store event...they do it.Its called PUBLIC RELATIONS.Many people believed that Barnes and Nobel were right on the mark by getting an overnight person to help out.Why were they taking names?If they took the time to be nice enough to keep order,they should have been nice enough to say it meant nothing...thats all.

Back
Top Bottom