I Was Bono's Doppelganger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Total U2 Nut

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to post this, oh well. I was just wondering whether anyone else has read this, it's a light hearted book, an easy read - but I found it a real insight to what bands starting out have to go through. I think Neil McCormick is a very talented writer (well you'd have to be, being a journalist, wouldn't you?)

I bought this book last week in Boston (with the American title Killing Bono). I haven't started reading it yet. Hope to do so soon.

:)

I read half of it, really enjoyed it. Then I got super-budy in school and never got a chance to pick it up again.

I've started reading "Killing Bono" myself. I think it's a great read.

Neil McCormick's account of his life and his desire to be a rock star all the while watching Bono go to superstardom and his reactions to it all is freaking hilarious and his wonder of Bono and his faith and is amazingly insightful as well.

I loved it! The book is as much about the writer as it is about U2 but the perspective is great.

He's known them since childhood so he can write with insight no other writer has.

I enjoyed the book and wanted to check out Neil's music, so I downloaded a few songs...

He's a much better writer than singer, I have to say.

I have it at home but i just read 50 pages, then i had to concentrate on an exam! what i read was really funny!!!

Popmartijn said:
I bought this book last week in Boston (with the American title Killing Bono). I haven't started reading it yet. Hope to do so soon.

:)

I have started in it and am really enjoying the book. It is indeed a hilarious account. At this point the band is still in its embrionic stages, but the comments by Neil's sister are hilarious (about how Larry told Adam to watch him to come in in time and then seeing Larry saying the same in the Rattle And Hum movie; nothing changed in 10+ years :lmao: etc.).

I came to this forum looking to find a thread involving this book. I just started reading yesterday and I'm over half way through. It's unputdownable! It is bloody hilarious, but it's also quite sad; how he never got to be a rock star. How most people he knew went past him and became more successful than he.

But, and I must type this up, this paragraph wouldn't stop me laughing:

"The first afternoon, he [Adam] wandered about with his dressing-gown flapping open, his prodigious member occasionally poking though. Having had limited exposure to the male sexual organ, Stella and Orla sat debated the strange colour and lumpy texture of Adam's underpants until it finally dawned on them that he wasn't wearing any. They burst into giggles while Paul instructed Adam to 'put it away before you frighten somebody'."

Hahahahaha! This would have been circa 1976/77, I think.

And the bit when Bono didn't know the words to Blowin' In The Wind. Hahahahahaha! But good improvisation on his behalf.

I adore this book! I picked it up in a wonderful shop in LA and read it straighth through!
Funnily enough, there was a guy staying in the same hotel as I that knows the author! I was coming back from the pool and he stopped me and asked how I liked the book etc. and said Neil is a friend and he would be glad to hear I liked it!

Back
Top Bottom