I "found" a new book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vlasak

Acrobat
My 13 year old daughter (bless her heart) checked out a book at her school library yesterday for me. It is titled: U2, A biography by Winston Brandt. It was published in 1986. It is so neat, I'm reading things I didn't even know about U2!! Has anyone seen this book? Their pictures are on the cover, it's a small hard-back book. They are young.

I looked for it on the web and it keeps telling me it is out of print, SO, I'm going to have my daughter LIE and say she lost the book and then I will pay the library for it! (Is this incredibly bad?)

As a former librarian, I can tell you how disheartening it is to have irreplaceable books like this go "missing". Equally bad were those books that were returned with one or two chapters torn out, because some jerk was too lazy or cheap to either read it and make notes, or photo copy it. And don't get me started on highlighters!!:mad:

Edited to add: Martha, I hope your shoes are at least cute, and therefore (almost) worth the pain.

Last edited:
Now Martha, you have given my heart an ache - and I mean that seriously. I feel bad that I was going to "steal" a book from the library, Of course, I did not think of it that way because I was going to pay whatever they asked for it. Now, I will make sure my daughter returns it BEFORE it's due and others in the 7th grade will get the chance to read about the number one band of all time. -Geez-:(

What a great lesson. If you see something you want, and you can?t think of another way of getting it, have your child lie. :huh:

A couple of things. First, this book is mass marketed junk. Having worked in a bookstore for a couple of years, I can tell you anyone who is at the height of fame will have tons of books written about them. Some are good, and endorsed by who their about. Most are not. I love to read, so I have tried to get every book on U2 I can find, and believe me, this one is nothing but crap. Any one who has followed U2 for a length of time and can write a sentence could have written this book. Very general stuff, with a lot of inaccuracies.

Secondly, if you still want it, there is no need to conveniently "loose" this book and pay the library for it. It's not unattainable, by any means. It appears on Ebay pretty often. I've seen it at used bookstores for a dollar. You can also get it from an Amazon used seller. There are copies available there, I've just checked.

Well shit! I said I wasn't going to have her "lose" it! What makes my sin any greater than any of yours?
As it happens, I found it on ebay last night. I enjoyed the book and want it in MY collection so kiss... damn!

Back
Top Bottom