Has anyone read...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ylimeU2

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I was wondering if anyone has read "Call Me the Breeze" by Patrick McCabe, or anything else by him.

"Call Me the Breeze" showed up in my Amazon recommends section, and I couldn't figure out why, cause it didn't sound like something I would normally read. So, I looked at it in the bookstore, and Bono has a quote about it. So I guess that's why.

Anyway, it seems sort of interesting, so I got it, and now I was just wondering if anyone had read it and had any thoughts to offer.

I'm in the middle of it right now, and I'm really enjoying it. I hope to finish it this weekend, and then I will post a follow-up. Have you read it?

Edited to add that, as well as reading the same book, we seem to be more or less in the same location.:wink:

Last edited:
I'm actually working my way through it right now. I think it's really an amazing book. I started reading it shortly after I posted this. I think I am going to get McCabe's other books after I finish. Which says a lot, coming from me. I don't make a habit of reading too many books by the same author. Atleast not in row.

And even though I don't know exatcly where I am, it's nice not to be alone! :wink:

Life, as usual, got in the way of my following up on this subject. I did finish Call Me the Breeze a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had the time to really reflect on it.
I liked this book very much. Poor Joey Tallon--I will remember that character vividly for years, I think. Such a funny but sad story. Everytime I think of the "Chickens of Forgiveness", I smile, but the smile is followed by real sadness for the way things turned out in the end. I guess Joey didn't stand much of a chance, with his horrible background and the viciousness with which he was surrounded. I loved the way the "story" was filtered through Joey's unreliable and fractured narrative focus, and how the reader has to struggle at times to know what is real and what isn't. That mirrors, I think, the way Joey's use of drugs both dulls and sharpens his perception of reality. Ultimately, his vision of paradise is far more vivid and real than the sordid real world around him.
Like you, YlimeU2, I'm going to look for other books by this author.

it looks like this thread is a bit old but what the heck.
I read "the butcher boy" by patrick mccabe some time ago.
its pretty good...disturbing but good...
they have made it into a movie since.
I think sinead oconnor is in the movie but im not certain.

Back
Top Bottom