Has anyone here read the book TGBHF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
I would be curious to know what you thought of Salman Rushdie's book, "The Ground Beneath Her Feet." I read it, and absolutely loved it. I have to say that it is probably my favorite piece of fiction now. This book really impressed me with the sheer detail and intellect of the writing. Do you agree or disagree?

Melon

------------------
"If I had to choose between the continued possibility of nothing happening and of doing something, I would unquestionably choose the latter...or the former." -- Radiohead

the BBC had a cool segment last winter when they would have Rushdie read excerpts from the book ocassionally. I really enjoyed it this way but i do not think i could get into reading it myself. maybe i will buy the book on tape with Rushdie doing it? there is now more motivation to do so knowing another u2 fan liked it so much. good post.

I have that book (the brazilian edition entitled O ch?o que ela pisa) and I really liked. I think the characters of Vina and Ormus and the whole story about their love are really touching, and you can get an inside view of both, the Indian milenar culture and the world of rock and roll stars.
I liked much more than The Satanic Verses that another famous one by Salman Rushdie also.

When the book first came out I flipped through some of it, and read the first few chapters but just haven't had the time to really digest the whole thing.

However . . .
On my limited reading, I took note of this line. Incredibly thought provoking, I think:

?Five mysteries hold the keys to the unseen: the act of love, and the birth of a baby, and the contemplation of great art, and being in the presence of death and disaster, and hearing the human voice lifted in song. These are the occasions when the bolts of the universe fly open and we are given a glimpse of what is hidden; an eff of the ineffable."

------------------
I think rock 'n' roll and movies are more connected today than ever and are the only truly contemporary forms of expression. -Wim Wenders

I agree melon. He touched on so much of the pop culture I grew up with.
And as for the bit where Ormus sang "The Ground Beneath her Feet"....;(

My husband just finished reading TGBHF this morning, closed the book, turned on the radio news and we heard that a size 8 earthquake happened in Papua New Guinea today.hmmmmmmm go lightly

VoxPop, four Irish lads with potential
smile.gif

I bought the book, read the first chapters and then put it away. I didn't liked it at all. It never touched me - I wish it did. But I'll probably will give it another try before I'll give it to the library...

am

Well after reading all these great reviews, I have to put it on my "to read" list.

Melon is there a basic story in the book? Or is it just a philosophical book.

Either way I would love to read it.

------------------
Support Amnesty's Campaign against Rape and Violence in Sierra Leone. Sign up.

Well, it is a very loose adaptation of the ancient Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice. I have put the myth here for your interest, and, don't worry, it will not spoil anything, as the word "loose" is a real good word for this adaptation. Remember: Rushdie wrote this knowing that much of his intended audience probably already knew this myth, so he had to make it interesting in other ways.

In the myth, Orpheus is a half god / half man whose power lied in his unmatched musical talent. Eurydice dies, and Orpheus is so distraught that he actually goes to the underworld to try and bring her back.

Using the power of music, he charms everyone and everything in the otherwise dreary underworld. He even charms Hades (Pluto in Roman mythology), the god of the underworld, who allows Orpheus to bring her back on one condition: he cannot lay an eye on her until she has left the underworld and reached the upperworld. Through the entire arduous journey out, Orpheus had to trust that she was behind him, but wished he could look to make sure. As Orpheus finally reached the upperworld, he looked behind him to see his love--but she was still in the darkness of the underworld. Instantaneously, she fades away before he can reach out to her, and all that is heard is the word, "Farewell."

Orpheus demands to reenter the underworld, but the gods refused to let him enter again while still alive. Tortured, he went into complete isolation on the island of Lesbos, and only found comfort in his lyre. (Here's where it gets a bit weird...) Then, a bunch of Lesbians (literally, a band of women from the island of Lesbos) came up, slew him, and ripped him apart. Then, they buried him at the foot of Mount Olympus, where it is said that the nightengales sing more sweetly than anything else.

TGBHF is quite interesting, as Orpheus becomes Ormus Cama and Eurydice becomes Vina Apsara. They are rock musicians--considered the absolute best in the world. However, rock is only secondary to the idea of love and the subsequent longing for it. If you like minute detail, you will love this book, as nothing is left behind.

Try to find the Wim Wenders' character. Rushdie hated him, and created an unflattering character based on him. Ironic that the song TGBHF went on the MDH soundtrack, eh?

Melon

------------------
"If I had to choose between the continued possibility of nothing happening and of doing something, I would unquestionably choose the latter...or the former." -- Radiohead

I loved the entire book. I ingested it when it first came out, and I plan to read it again by the time the year is out. TGBHF is a spectacular story, and the song... can you imagine how Ormus sang it? Wow.

I found the characters to be cold and distant much like greek mythology. But, the writing in and of itself has some exquisite moments. There are some lovely passages. It's worth a read. How did you know Rushdie didn't like Wim Wenders? I think it is interesting how Bono has these curious relationships that swirl about him. For instance the whole Bob Geldof, Michael Hutchence, and Paula Yates thing. He seems to handle them with care, but his variety of friends-musically, politically, religiously, is quite diversified and impressive.

I read the book and loved it. In fact, despite the fact that most other Rushdie novels received better critical reviews, I found it was the first one I could actually relate to and get through. Satanic Verses really does require knowledge of the Koran to understand many of the references, and for whatever reason the Moor's Last Sigh I just couldn't connect with in the first 100 pages. I do plan to try again some day.

I'm currently reading Rushdie's newest book, Fury. So far I like it a lot, but I've only just started.

Back
Top Bottom