Good Books About U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBTH

War Child
The best book I have read about U2 (about anything for that matter!) is Bill Graham's "U2 - At The End Of The World". It gives such a cool insight into what U2 were all about at the start of the 90's, each member's individual personality, the way they make music... And it's fantastically written. I must have read it about 10 times through, and when I'm bored it's always great to dip into for a while.
Carter Allen's book is pretty good too, if I could just remember the name of it!

Hi! Actually it's Bill Flanagans book U2 At The End Of The World and I couldn't agree more on the recommendation. It's great.
Carter Allens book is The Road To Pop. It was called Outside It's America but went through a name change when it was updated. The stuff about the early years in the US is great but it looses the plot around Zoo TV. Flanagans book is much better.
Bill Graham did write a book about U2 called U2 The Early Days. It is excellent focusing on the bands activities in Dublin and the Dublin music scene before the band were signed. It is out of print now but Amazon was able to find a copy for me not long ago. Another great book about the band is Pimm Jal de la Parra's U2 Live a concert documentary. It goes through every single show the band has ever played starting in August 1976 at Mount Temple and finishing May 3, 1997 (early in the Popmart tour). Hopefully there will be another update after the tour next year. It includes dates, venues, attendance figures and set lists for all the shows and write ups on most of them.
Another good book, which is also out of print unfortunately is The Rolling Stone Files - U2 The Ultimate Compendium of Interviews, Articles, Facts & Opinions. It contains every article, interview, and album review (among other things) that has appeared in Rolling Stone starting with the first article just before Boy was released through Zoo Tv.
It's official, I own waaaaay to many books about this band.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by ledu2fan (edited 06-09-2000).]

Flanagan's book was an amazing jurney ! but .. I feel Pimm Jal De La Parra's "U2 LIVE" is just an unbelievable work! Lets all pray his next will be in full color. there's only one word to describe U2 LIVE..."WOW" ...it's realy a different genre.. but to imagine Bill Flanagan going to all those shows and dinners and partys..well thats a wow too..though I'd rather not know the little negetive bits, like Don Henly being a baby perfectionist but I guess he's trying to tie the story together...the bee on the finger though.. he had me.

------------------
u2dude

I haven't really read any U2 books, do you think I should start with U2 - At The End Of The World? I think I might do that when I have some time. ie, when I'm not posting things on this site
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
There's no business like ZOOTV business.

And let's not forget Niall Stokes' "Into the Heart", which covers the meaning/story behind ALL the songs through POP (latest printing).

I think it creates more controversies than it settles, but that's probably a good thing
smile.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

my favorite book on u2 is "race of angels:the genesis of U2" by john waters. it gives an excellent insight into the real influences behind u2's music. biographies come and go but this is the real deal. it goes into a lot of tangents about irish culture and all but that is what makes the music of u2 so much more understandable. i see u2 from a totally different perspective after i read this book. i began to see how being irish ha influenced u2's music maybe not a conscious level but on a sub-conscious level. you have to read it to understand what i am talking about. give it a try if you havent read it yet.

[This message has been edited by dan13 (edited 06-14-2000).]

"Race of Angels" is also my favorite book about U2. It's brilliant. It is about how Irish culture affected them and I look at them in a whole different light because I read this book. It also has all sorts of insights into their creative processes, even comparing some of Bono's creative processes to that of an Italian historical writer I studied in school, Umberto Eco. I *never* understood Eco as well as Waters does. That just shows you the quality of his work. It just blows my mind--I wish I could write like that dammit!
Flanagan's book is great, too. It's very informative. It's like going for a repeat ride of the ZooTV tour.

If you have never read a U2 book, I would say to start with the Unforgettable Fire biography.....there are always copies on auction on E-Bay. ;-) Then go for Flannagans book. BP Fallons book is also amazing, if you read those three, you will be well informed. ;-)

------------------
*~Dream out loud~*
Julie

The only U2 book I have read was 'unforgettable fire'. Which gave me useful insight into their backgrounds, formation and early days.

So what would people recommend as the most up to date book about U2 since then? I've been meaning to read Flanagan when I find a copy, is there anything better that goes right up to POP?
Thanks
Mermaid
smile.gif

I did read "The unforgettable fire" and "The spark that set the flame" (a dutch writer, can't remember her name), but I'll make sure I'm gonna read all the books recommended here.

Thanks
smile.gif

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Ants, if you want an upclose behind the scenes look, then you cant go past the Bible. Ive read it probably four times now.

There are just so many great stories and anecdotes of tour life.Some pretty good secrets in there too.
But you really just cant beat Flanagan's writing style and humour.
HE writes in a way that doesnt make you feel like you are intruding, and like you are right there along for the ride.
There when the Aussie girl in Bondi goes skinny dipping with the band, when Larry and Adam are struggling with the steps that Edge and Bono were making towards writing Achtung Baby.
its absolutely one of my fave books and I cant wait till the next one.....

Back
Top Bottom