Christopher Nolan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Herco

War Child
Does anyone knows some work of him?
It seems very interesting. He's the guy who learned to type because of the "Miracle Drug".

I love to read some work of him....

Thanks!

I read a book by Nolan called "The Banyan Tree" which was fantastic. It's about a family that owns a dairy farm in rural Ireland, I want to say in Westmeath (but I could be wrong) and how the family starts to spread out and disintegrate. Ok that's a terrible summary of the book b/c it makes it sound really dull, and actually I think this book would be really boring if it were written by another author, but Nolan uses language remarkably well-his descriptions are brilliantly vivid.

I haven't read his poetry, but I just looked that up on Amazon, and found that the book of poetry he published in his teens is called "Dam Burst of Dreams," and the reviews compare him to Yeats and Joyce, which really makes me want to read it.

haha, I also find it amusing that on Amazon's "customers who bought this product also bought" list, HTDAAB and the Vertigo single are listed. Good thing for the world that Bono doesn't write songs about Susan Sontag or Danielle Steele, we'd really be in trouble.

Comparisons to Joyce and Yeats are a big praise to lavish on a UK author....must check it out!

That's really amusing how Amazon's "customers who bought this product also bought" list showed HTDAAB and Vertigo. Great minds think alike you know. :wink:

I'm reading his memoir "Under the Eye of the Clock", and so far it's really great. As an aside, it's interesting to read what Mount Temple is like.

i just started under the eye of the clock.
nolan's story is an amazing one for sure.
it really makes you think hard about faith and existence and not taking things for granted--not just in your own life, but in the way you can judge other people as well.
just reading the thoughts of this guy who 99 percent of the people who see him are just feeling bad for him or thinking he is "not there" and meanwhile his head is actually filled with an amazingly analytical and strong mind. it's hard to explain, but definitely heavy.
another good choice from bono's book club :)

I just finished "Under the Eye of the Clock." I'm still digesting it... the book was very interesting as a perspective "from the other side." I guess I'm just in awe that someone could overcome so much adversity to make such beautiful things...

Next it's on to "The Banyan Tree" which I'm really looking forward to now :)

Oh yeah, and I think I'm getting "Dam-Burst of Dreams" for Christmas.

I just ordered Under the Eye of the Clock, found a hardback on Amazon, found a "like new" hardback for $8. :D I can't to receive both of these. :drool:

I just read this in the editorial reviews for this book..

Nolan, whose disability requires that someone cup his chin while he pushes a head-mounted pointer at the keyboard, tells here of battles in an un-handicapped world, the heroic efforts of his family and the sights of Ireland that surround him.

Wow, what an amazing guy. I can't imagine writing all these books in that situation, one letter at a time. How much I take for granted at times.

I've heard that "Under the Eye of the Clock" is a fantastic book. I need to buy that one too! (Just ordered a used copy for a mere $8.00)

It was not only an inspiration for U2 writing "Miracle Drug" but for R.E.M. writing "The Wrong Child" in 1988.

Back
Top Bottom