Carter Alan's The Road To Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
I must start by saying that I am used to reading u2 books that offer next to no new info/insight for me. Most will just recount the same career journey and bio information ive read a thousand times.
I must admit that this book had some new antedotes and stories that were worth the read. Mostly found in the first half of the book. The book does work chronologically thru the band's career, and it was nice to read some personal accounts from this Boston-area deejay about interactions with the band in those early tours of america. (stories of backstage and vip room type meet and greets). Anything after the UF-era is pretty routine info, and you can tell that his direct access to the band was probably getting limited as their fame increased.

Just thought i'd drop my 2 cents in case someone is wondering if this one is worth the read.

Did the book used to be called U2 in the US or something like that in an earlier version? I swear I read a book just like that by the same author, but it wasn't called The Road to Pop.

yes. i believe his first edition was called U2: Outside in America, or something like that.

Road to Pop was his updated and revised edition. Really it's just an extra chapter and elipiloge.

from what I remember, U2 did not want Carter Alan to write the book and they kind of "kicked him out" of the inner circle of media members that U2 used to deal with. Thought the book was OK, I have a signed copy from Alan.

Back
Top Bottom