Books on ebay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottycav

Babyface
has anyone else noticed the amount of books on ebay being sold after the signing last week. Theyre going for about £500 plus!!! I cant believe people would pay that much !! I personally would never sell it, too precious!

I'd sell a kidney on ebay before I'd consider selling a signed U2 book. I saw one yesterday going for over $600 :(

The only time I'd feel like it was justifiable is if someone were in a really dire financial situation, and there's of course no way of ever knowing that.

I'm envisioning all the scalper scum who registered on U2.com for the sole purpose of getting access to ticket presales winning the Book Signing contest and selling the signed books...so sad.

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowbizNews.asp?Code=MG254608Z&headline=u2_fans_ebay_fury

Monday, 25th September 2006, 14:05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LIFE STYLE EXTRA (UK) - Thousands of U2 fans are boycotting eBay after a London VIP signing turned sour.

Within hours of the band holding an exclusive meet-and-greet in a Waterstones bookstore for just 250 people last Friday (22.09.06) - autographed copies of their book 'U2 by U2' began to appear on the internet auction site.

One fan, who was among the lucky few to get in, told BANG Showbiz: "Any true fan would give their right arm to go to an event like this. For a real fan to lose out on the chance so someone can make a profit is outrageous and selfish.

"If Bono and the others knew about this they'd be sickened. I'll never buy anything off eBay again."

Outraged fanss have been letting off steam on the band's website, U2.com.

One user - who goes by the name of 'Suel' - said: "Sadly, there will always be touts ready to get in quick with ticket sales just to make a quick buck on re-sale.

"Likewise, these people were simply there because they could see a way of making a substantial amount of money."

Meanwhile another fan - JaneMcNeil - suggested: "Why don't the band sign another 1000 copies and sell them via U2.com at a premium price with the profits going to charity."

(c) BANG Media International.

That's really sad.....to me, a signature is only half the story....it wouldn't mean anything to me unless I got to meet the guys at the same time. To buy it off a money hungry scalper is just wrong on every count.

What makes me mad is that "real" fans didn't get in to have books signed because of these despicable people. I feel bad that Bono, Larry, Adam, and Edge wasted their time on these people too. :( :( They know it's bound to happen though and tried to get real fans into the signings. Nothing seems to outsmart these idiots who do this. They will ALWAYS find a way around the system.

^^ Yep, and there'll always be some twit who encourages them by buying stuff from them....worst part is there is nothing that can be done to stop it. It will always happen somewhere, somehow....

i would just like to let you know that my wife was one of the lucky one's to win a wristband and meet the band and she would never dream of selling her book for all the money in the world,by the way she is still going on about it l o l

Why doesn't Edge just sell 100 signed books for Music cares?

People that want to pay buck$ for the signed book can make sure they get a legit autograph and know they are making a charitable donation.

They could raise USD$100,000 with 15 minutes of signing books.

Getting "music cares signed" book would also negate any other seller trying to move a book.

BTW, I did notice that Edge was ioncribing some of the books he signed at Dublin and NYC in the photos I've seen.

u2fp

there were 20-30 of these people who got in to the NYC book signing, who seemed to be acting as a group... from high school aged kids to 40-50 year old men and women... they did this for a living, going to events all over the city trying to get autographs from celebrities to re-sell... they were, shall we say, not exactly the best element of society.

they had no problem admitting to people in line as to why they were there, they were nothing but a headache the entire day and night, they were violent, vulgar, using a variety of drugs, many reeked of booze, and a couple of them asked my friend what the names of "the other two" (adam and larry) were.

Have you guys seen the books on ebay today??? The last laugh is on the sellers and the buyers -- Larry and Bono both signed "Beautiful Ebay!" in a couple of books! I love those guys for their sense of humor!

...but sadly the auctions have bids on them! :mad:

u2j.jpg

that is awesome... like i've been saying, picking out the real fans from the autograph scalpers wasn't exactly difficult

U2FanPeter said:
Why doesn't Edge just sell 100 signed books for Music cares?

People that want to pay buck$ for the signed book can make sure they get a legit autograph and know they are making a charitable donation.

BRILLANT IDEA

Headache in a Suitcase said:
there were 20-30 of these people who got in to the NYC book signing, who seemed to be acting as a group... from high school aged kids to 40-50 year old men and women... they did this for a living, going to events all over the city trying to get autographs from celebrities to re-sell... they were, shall we say, not exactly the best element of society.

they had no problem admitting to people in line as to why they were there, they were nothing but a headache the entire day and night, they were violent, vulgar, using a variety of drugs, many reeked of booze, and a couple of them asked my friend what the names of "the other two" (adam and larry) were.

disgusting!!!:mad:

From atu2.com:

Now security was all over the place where were they for this:

Chatting with some people in line, they said that while most of the fans were in good spirits, there were a group of people who did join the line who threatened fights if they didn't get in, and after watching the line finish after the book signing, these were the same people who were handing their signed copies of books to a guy standing near an elevator on the first floor. At one point, he had 2 bags of books already collected, paying the people off $100 per book. Expect to see them on eBay very soon. At least there were only about a dozen of those people out of the 250 who were in line.

JCOSTER said:
From atu2.com:

Now security was all over the place where were they for this:

Chatting with some people in line, they said that while most of the fans were in good spirits, there were a group of people who did join the line who threatened fights if they didn't get in, and after watching the line finish after the book signing, these were the same people who were handing their signed copies of books to a guy standing near an elevator on the first floor. At one point, he had 2 bags of books already collected, paying the people off $100 per book. Expect to see them on eBay very soon. At least there were only about a dozen of those people out of the 250 who were in line.

a dozen my ass... there were more than a dozen within 5 feet of me on line, and at least 10 more by my count sprinkled throughout the rest of the line.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

a dozen my ass... there were more than a dozen within 5 feet of me on line, and at least 10 more by my count sprinkled throughout the rest of the line.

Way to frustrating for me to deal with. Even though I'm quite shy, if I think something isn't right I am the first one to speak up!!!!

At least some of the band caught on!

I wrote to one of these guys asking him why the signed book he was selling was signed with beautiful ebay, this was his response....... Hi, I asked them to add the song title "beautiful day" and he wrote ebay jokingly. Thanks ----
:shame: he still managed to get a lot of money for the book ---- I would never sell my book, they will have to bury me with it!

Several of the books on ebay say "beautiful ebay" ... so just to annoy the sellers I have been emailing them and asking why does the book say "beautiful ebay"? see how many stupid answers I get ... it's great how Bono & Larry could tell who was a fan and who was not!

A response from someone selling item #130032302177 his response was and I quote "Because Bono Is a Jerkoff" ... that's great, he knows that Bono was on to him and lowered the value of that book .. who's the Jerkoff??:wink:

I'm so happy the guys where on to some of the hawkers. If you look on ebay the books that say beautiful ebay are alot less than the ones that don't have any ebay written on them.

I love those guys they're slick.

Back
Top Bottom