Bono In Conversation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
I just got it last night! :hyper:

The cover is beautiful. And the contents inside are amazing....Bono really is very open and honest with himself. I was up late last night reading it. This may the closest thing we'll have to a personal memoir and I definetly think all of y'all should run out and get a copy!

i definitely reccommend this book, too.
it is most revealing in his memories about his relationship with his dad.
and while there are many personal stories he shares, the majority of the book focuses on two thing: africa and God.
there is a lot of rambling, a lot of very serious talk, and then these laugh out loud one-liners pop up out of nowhere.
for some reason, it made me laugh very hard when bono responds in the book to a line of questioning about Jesus Christ and says:
"You know, Jesus...He had a real messianic complex."

I ordered mine from Amazon last week. Should be arriving any day. I ordered 'Into The Heart' by Niall Stokes as well. Remember seeing it at the store a while back, but the hints I dropped to my family to purchase it for the holidays apparently didn't work. And by ordering it myself - this way I would get both books and free shipping. Can't wait to find the time to read it!

Bono: In Conversation ..
I just bought it yesterday at Barnes and Noble. I'm so glad it finally came in and can't wait to start reading this book !! :wink:

Next on my agenda is ... U2 & I: The Photographs ...
the U.S. release date is now April 28th ... :happy:
(keeping fingers crossed this time .. on this date!) :yes:

starsgoblue said:
:laugh: I don't think a 3 volume set would satisfy me, Biff!

I know that part of the problem is that I read it too quickly. I inhaled it in less than a day.
However, I still feel that Bono's just way too good at being cagey.
He's very verbally profuse on some subjects, but on others, as we know, he's painfully, and blatantly, constipated. In the end, after all the talk, he's still an enigma, just like his father.

MsMofoGone said:
Bono: In Conversation ..
I just bought it yesterday at Barnes and Noble. I'm so glad it finally came in and can't wait to start reading this book !! :wink:

Next on my agenda is ... U2 & I: The Photographs ...
the U.S. release date is now April 28th ... :happy:
(keeping fingers crossed this time .. on this date!) :yes:

I just got U2&I, it's amazing!!!! everytime i look through it i enjoy it more and more, you'll love it

Just got it yesterday from Amazon. it's amazing!!! i read almost half already. Even if it wasn't Bono talking I think it would still be a great read, very insightful

I'm still reading it, but it is even better than I thought it would be. I don't know how anyone could not like the guy after reading this.

Last night I was just randomly reading portions of chapters, I just love the way he answers certain questions. For example the way he talked about having perspective, and how it relates to depression, about depression. Fantastic

I think the way he describes perspective is helpful to all of us.

As much as I've heard Bono talk :D this book has so much more to offer.

Awesome! My copy will be here tomorrow from Amazon. Very excited to dive in and read. Glad to see you're happy with it.

i got my copy today! :hyper:

i have to force myself not to tear into it before i've finished reading the other two books i've already started. might not win that battle.

Sometimes you have to read things several times to figure out exactly wtf he's talking about, well I do :wink:

Maybe that's part of his charm and appeal, that you're never really sure. Keeps you interested.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Sometimes you have to read things several times to figure out exactly wtf he's talking about, well I do :wink:

Maybe that's part of his charm and appeal, that you're never really sure. Keeps you interested.

omg, I seriously thought it was just me :laugh:

I normally breeze through a book in 1 or 2 nights but I started this one over a week ago and I'm only halfway through. I realized it was because I have to read every single word, sometimes more than once, just to figure out what the heck he means sometimes! I'm normally a speed reader but I can't do it with this book.

Bono's American Wife said:

omg, I seriously thought it was just me :laugh:

I normally breeze through a book in 1 or 2 nights but I started this one over a week ago and I'm only halfway through. I realized it was because I have to read every single word, sometimes more than once, just to figure out what the heck he means sometimes! I'm normally a speed reader but I can't do it with this book.

I have the same thing going on. Not sure if there are some grammar things, or just some 'bono' thinking in there, but this one is taking me a little longer as well. Great stuff though!

I'm about half way through the book.

What does everyone thing of Bonos take on depression? I think hes wrong, wrong, wrong. loll. I'm kinda suprised that he missed the mark, and kinda not suprised as well as hes missed the mark before, in my view. Umm, yeah, Ill say more if anyone wants to talk, otherwise I will have to duck being hit in the head by an agro PLEBAn.

Didn't seem to be a whole lot of understanding on his part on depression and even suicide, was there? Love him to pieces, but sometimes he's a little out of touch.

I don't know...depression is a chemical imbalance...BUT...there are non medicinal ways of improving chemical balance...Bono's coming from the "Faith as healer" perspective...and though I think he underestimates the chemical element of depression....gaining perspective can improve depression...which is why therapy and medicine are important tools for overcoming it..not only medicine....

BonosSaint said:
Didn't seem to be a whole lot of understanding on his part on depression and even suicide, was there? Love him to pieces, but sometimes he's a little out of touch.

I'm glad you agree. That was my feeling as well. Theres something odd about Bono that I cant quite put my finger on. Out of touch might be a good expression for it. The fact that hes solely interested in going forwards, never looks back I think contributes to his lack of understanding of somethings. By his own admission he doesnt spend much time navel gazing. While that is a healthy way to be I think he missing some things by trudging onwards and upwards. He is achieving a heck of a lot with his life, which is admirable, but I don't believe I would like him much as a friend.

Not that it matters. Captain MacArthur, an early leader of Australia, is a personal hero of mine. He achieved a tremendous amount during his lifetime but by all accounts was a womanising drunk (not that Bono is).

Im racing out the door, I'll write more later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom