Bono In Conversation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's a pretty good read but agree that Bono holds back at times. For a guy that talks as much as he does, he quite often skirted questions he didn't want to answer, like the ones about drug use, and the death of Larry's sister. He seemed to talk more about the people he's met over time(at least thats the impression I got after one quick read of it)

Well I don't think he'd have to tell everything about his life just because he's doing an interview. He's said before very eloquently why he won't speak of drug use. And as for Larry's sister, that's not his story to disclose IMO.

What's the reason he doesn't speak about drug (ab)use?
I ordered this book yesterday through Amazon Germany, it should arrive in a day or 4.
I'm curious to read it, and the discussion about it on here makes it all the more intriguing.

the soul waits said:
What's the reason he doesn't speak about drug (ab)use?
I ordered this book yesterday through Amazon Germany, it should arrive in a day or 4.
I'm curious to read it, and the discussion about it on here makes it all the more intriguing.

:wave:

I think he once mentioned he doesn't want to give any one any ideas about drug use, that's why he said he wouldn't tell whether he ever used or not.
I guess it would look cool for a rockstar to say he uses.

I've also read other interviews where you could really read between the lines and make out that he thinks it's stupid t start drugs. I believe he once said he doesn't need drugs as he's hyper on his own:wink:

But overall, I feel like he's mellowed down much on these things and (in my opinion), it might have to do with their children growing up and seeing and reading more about their fathers. He sure doesn't want to set a bad example
I think he was much more explicit in the Zoo days.

BTW how much did you pay for the book, I'm thinking of getting a copy myself, but haven't decided where yet.

starsgoblue said:
Well I don't think he'd have to tell everything about his life just because he's doing an interview. He's said before very eloquently why he won't speak of drug use. And as for Larry's sister, that's not his story to disclose IMO.

I agree about the bit about Larry's sister, it's not Bono place to reveal (if there ever was anything to tell in the first place).
If Larry wanted us to know I'm sure we would have heard about it. And maybe one day we will (like in the U2 by U2 book)....not that I imagine we will, it's a Larry story, not a U2 one.

greety said:

:wave:

I think he once mentioned he doesn't want to give any one any ideas about drug use, that's why he said he wouldn't tell whether he ever used or not.
I guess it would look cool for a rockstar to say he uses.

I've also read other interviews where you could really read between the lines and make out that he thinks it's stupid t start drugs. I believe he once said he doesn't need drugs as he's hyper on his own:wink:

But overall, I feel like he's mellowed down much on these things and (in my opinion), it might have to do with their children growing up and seeing and reading more about their fathers. He sure doesn't want to set a bad example
I think he was much more explicit in the Zoo days.

BTW how much did you pay for the book, I'm thinking of getting a copy myself, but haven't decided where yet.

Hi Greety :wave:

Thanks for the explanation :)
I ordered through Amazon Germany and paid 27.50 Euro, shipping included. It was on stock and should arrive some time next week!

I got it! someone asked about price, I payed $31 in Canada, good price for a much needed U2 fix.

I laughed at the bit in the first chapter, about the author noticing his driving has improved (i.e. no more driving the wrong way down one way streets).

I also agree with ple. here that he doesn't seem to give too much away in this book, and though that's his right, I'm a tad disappointed, because I was expecting a little more.

It's really interesting that you feel that way. Because I felt the opposite! :)

Especially in relation to his own spiritual thoughts and personal expeierences, I really think he was very candid about some topics that he's been mum about for a long time.

I still don't have the book so I can't really speak up but I have read recently, that eventhough Bono talks a lot about everything ,You don't get too much out of him that he doesn't want to be known.

now of course I don't remember who said this but i do know for sure it was someone close to him. Could it have been anton in his book? :hmm:

If it should spring to mind, I'll let you know ;)

greety said:
I still don't have the book so I can't really speak up but I have read recently, that eventhough Bono talks a lot about everything ,You don't get too much out of him that he doesn't want to be known.

now of course I don't remember who said this but i do know for sure it was someone close to him. Could it have been anton in his book? :hmm:

If it should spring to mind, I'll let you know ;)

Was it this quote from Jim Sheridan, a very old friend?

"For such a public person, Bono is amazingly private. You may think you know a lot about him, but you don't really. He has that rare ability to hide in plain sight."

biff said:

Was it this quote from Jim Sheridan, a very old friend?

"For such a public person, Bono is amazingly private. You may think you know a lot about him, but you don't really. He has that rare ability to hide in plain sight."

Yeah that's the one! I really like that quote, it's an interesting thing to say...especially coming from a very old friend of his.

I'm halfway through the book right now, not sure what to think of it yet, but I tend to agree with posters who said that he's holding back..

What exactly do some posters think he's holding back? And how much of himself and his own private life is he supposed to divulge anyways? I'm not being mean but I'm curious about what kinda stuff people were looking for....

Maybe saying he didn't divulge enough is the wrong expression. To me it was like alot of stuff either wasn't surprising/revealing or paraphrased already in other interviews, which makes sense since the conversations that take place here happened over 2 years.

Funny enough though I wanted to read more about his relationship with the rest of the band but they are hardly metioned outside of chapter 3.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm not talking about his private life at all, I'm not the slightest bit interested in all that.

I mean the topics raised, like his Faith, his views on life in general and on politics, were skimmed over at times, or Bono tended to go off on a tangeant in an attempt to derail the conversation. In fact, that's what the writer pointed out to him several times too.

All in all, a good book, but I didn't learn anything about him that I didn't already know or expected.

One exception : I have to admit that I was quite surprised to read that he isn't a man to self-reflect and even calls that "navel-gazing" in a pejorative way. He strikes me as someone who tends to flee into stuff to do, beit business, music, his work for Africa, etc...to avoid a moment of silence with himself.
At the risk of sounding like an amateur-psychologist here, I believe that's where the stem lies of his views on depression.

the soul waits said:

One exception : I have to admit that I was quite surprised to read that he isn't a man to self-reflect and even calls that "navel-gazing" in a pejorative way. He strikes me as someone who tends to flee into stuff to do, beit business, music, his work for Africa, etc...to avoid a moment of silence with himself.
At the risk of sounding like an amateur-psychologist here, I believe that's where the stem lies of his views on depression.

And yet he's an artist who writes very beautiful and moving words and music, which must involve a high degree of reflection. A very complex and enigmatic fellow indeed!

Yes indeed, that's totally true. That's why I was so very surprised to read that about him. His lyrics are so soulful.

And that's why the image he chooses to project of himself just doesn't add up. He's a puzzle with a bunch of pieces still missing.

I've been ready the book for three days now, I almost done (I read in between classes at the university) It is interesting, I like his stories when he was a young man and when he went to El Salvador. I always wanted to know what he was doing in there because I'm from there and I was living in El Salvador in the time of the war.

I loved the book - I thought Bono came off as extremely articulate and intelligent. On a less intellectual note, I also love the cover photo. :cool:
I really liked the Q & A format. It was more interesting than a straight narrative.

Back
Top Bottom